early TR7 sill paint

my TR7 FHC, first registered 24th of June 1977, is now back in the full glory of fresh java green paint. I am now asking for help as I have to get the sills black. As the sills where covered in some thick black underseal I am not sure but believe the sills where painted matt black colour rather than with underseal. Is there anybody out there who knows for sure what the original factory treatment to the sills was? Thank you, Markus

post-5001-126479757751_thumb.jpg

post-5001-126479757751_thumb.jpg

• 11 years later...

I wondered if the standard Ford satin black was the correct colour match for the Canley built cars as well? The original texture to the sill coating feels very gritty but has no ripple effect like the earlier Speke models.

I have tried to get some standard Ford satin black but the paint supplier needs a colour code. Is there one for this?

The cills as far as I am aware were only ever painted in satin paint from the factory - textures finishes such as schultz are likely to be applied at a later date.

The Ford paint should suffice.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for your reply, TR8IAN.

Yes, underseal on a car was an optional extra in those days and It would depend on the dealer's technician what type of 'pattern' you'd receive. I think that's why so many people who own TR7s today have difficulty trying to make their cars look original - there isn't a standard finish.

I'll go for a smooth 3M stone chip coating painted with the standard Ford satin black - when I eventually find the colour code for it!

I have at least got the colour for the alloy wheels. I removed a tyre and the inside of the wheel is painted in the metallic silver/grey. The paint shop has come up with a good match.

So, I'm getting there.

Regards

1 Inside wheel tyre removed.JPG