2.0 litre badges

Guest john-egerton

Guest john-egerton

My 2.0 DHC is a 1980 UK spec Canley car.

The previous owner, after respraying the car, fitted small laurel transfers to the front wings (where many cars have the 2.0 badge).

Correct me if I'm wrong... but this isn't the way the car would have been is it? So... I bought a pair of 2.0 litre badges and was just about to stick 'em on when I spotted in an old magazine that only the Solihull cars had this 2.0 badge!

Can anyone confirm this? And... what should be on my car?

Thanks!  :D

John

Boot badges:  Triumph and TR7

Front panel: Large laurel leaf transfer

As you have read the 2.0 litre badge was on Solihull cars (as was the enamel badge that replaced the transfer on the front panel).  Out of interest there was another badge on the front wings of the earliest Speke cars.  Do you know what it was?

Malcolm.

I believe you are correct John.

The Speke cars came with a little blue 'BL' square badge affixed to the front wing - jutting out they caused annoyance to me when cleaning TRisha and so were dumped during her first restoration 12 years ago!!

The 2.0l badges appeared  on the Canley models - whether this was on both the DHC and FHC I don't know, though I guess they were kept the same.

I don't think many people re-apply the old BL badges, whether this is a subconcious '"it's a Triumph" statement and trying to avoid the conglomerate inefficiency image that BL brings to mind I don't know.

IMHO I think the laurel leaf emblem looks the smartist, though if it's authenticity you are after the 2.0l badge would be correct.

Malcolm, didn't the enamel badge appear on later Canley models aswell as the Solihull vehicles?

I did actually go back to the 'TR7' emblem on the front of my car, during the first restore I replaced it with the large laurel.... I prefer that ???.  But for authenticity I went back to the TR7 one last year.

Malcolm, didn't the enamel badge appear on later Canley models aswell as the Solihull vehicles?

I believe that it was from VIN 402001 which means it would have appeared on a small number of Canley cars too.

The 2.0 litre badge did not appear on earlier Canley cars, but was introduced later - presumably to differentiate the car from the TR8.  I was going to edit my post and correct myself but too late!

Malcolm.

Guest john-egerton

The 2.0 litre badge did not appear on earlier Canley cars, but was introduced later - presumably to differentiate the car from the TR8.

So... what about the early Canley cars (pre 2.0 badging). My car is registered March 1980 - the first month of UK DHC sales - I wonder what it would have had..... ???

John

presumably to differentiate the car from the TR8.  I was going to edit my post and correct myself but too late!

:P I guess BL was dumbing down and didn't expect that the big TR8 stickers would be enough of a clue!!

Were there any markings (on the side of the cars) to differentiate the small quantity of Sprint's from the standard vehicles?  Or were the stripes with 'Sprint' replacing the 'TR7' standard on those cars?

(Sorry John, I've toddled away from the 2.0l question!)

John.  I'm looking at a picture of a very early Canley convertible and it has nothing on the front wings.  Pretty sure this is correct.

Sprints: I can't find any pictures to support it now but some of these cars had side striping with the word 'Sprint' towards the end of each rear wing.  Don't think there was anything special for the front wings.

Malcolm.

There was a limted edition FHC called the 'Jubilee'.  This model has a small Union Jack on the bootlid.  The one available in London (on my site) has this on the bootid which is original.... however I don't think that bootlid is the orginal one as the car in question appears to be the later Premium Edition.

To my knowledge there wasn't a Union Jack on the front wing, unless the Jubilee had them there too?

John,your car should have nothing on the front wings.The 2 litre badges were fitted when the later and much smarter enamel badge was fitted to the front.The BL globe badges were only fitted to early cars and no DHCs.

Chris - in theory you are correct, but remember we're talking BL here. My Solihull built car (built 6-7 Aug '81 according to the Heritage Cert) has no badges of any kind on the front wings, and according to the last (from new) owner, it never has had.

Reading Bill Piggott's book on the 7 - 8, it seems the part bins towards the end of production were a bit of 'bung on what's available' so anomolies crept in quite frequently.

Mike

Mike,they had them when 6762,6869 and 8130 were built as I own all three and the last one quoted was the 40th from last FHC built,in terms of build date it is nearer to being the last one built.
Unfortunately,Mike I can only go to VOY meetings in the winter,the reason being Thursday night is the time for Sheffield Tigers speedway home matches, if they didnt clash I would be at every meeting.During the summer why not come down to one of our White Rose meetings,we are just off the M1,or if you are in Sheffield I will gladly show you any of my cars.