Battery chargers / conditioners

It looks like my ancient battery charger has decided to call it a day, and I've been looking at the various types of chargers and conditioners advertised on the internet. Confusion abounds.........so does anyone have experience to offer as to which is a good buy to support a 4a battery (which is now 7 years old) please ?

It looks like my ancient battery charger has decided to call it a day, and I've been looking at the various types of chargers and conditioners advertised on the internet. Confusion abounds.........so does anyone have experience to offer as to which is a good buy to support a 4a battery (which is now 7 years old) please ?

I have my battery hung on a CTEK of some sort....

The CTEK36 that the Register sells is good for batteries that are idle for long periods. It won't charge a flat battery overnight, I still have my 1971 Halfords 4A jobbie for that, but it will charge over a 48hr period and can then be left permanently attached over winter to avoid sulphation.

The Register price isn't bad either.

Ivor

I have used the CSI Airflow one for about 10 years with no problem at all. Here's the link: -

http://www.airflow-uk.com/index.php?view=product&product=batteryconditioner

I like the fact that it before your switch it on it tells what teh battery is putting out. I've used it on my wife's MX5 (& she leaves the lights on on avereage 3 times a year) for 6 years and this is the original battery from 1993, I believe. It has success brought it back to life from completely dead at least 6 times. Costs about 50 quid (was about 40 when I bought it. Good piece of kit. :)

Hi David

I have been using a Draper Battery Master, Have a look on Google there are plenty of places on line that sell them

I had been having problems with my old battery but the master managed to put life back into it.

I have since changed the battery, the battery master is doing a great job of keeping it at optimun charge. :D

I have two Cteks - one ( a basic one ) came as part of the Mercedes package as my old company car can turn off the electrical consumers after a week of low activity ( you can still hear it whirring after an hour ). Now it's my car, I charge it for a couple of days every 10 days or so.

and I have the CTekMulti 3600 for my other cars, including the TR4. Briiliant. Can just leave it connected and keeps the battery in good condition for an easy start. SOme buddies of mine also have these now and are very pleased.

Never mind the charger,the battery is most likely past it's life anyway

Here I go asking for trouble, but... I can't remember the last time I used my battery charger. The Varta battery on my 6 is over 6 years old and I've never had a failure to start even after long periods of lay-up.

There, that's done it. Battery failure imminent.

Thanks for the thoughts all. Think I'll probably dip into the bank for the one on the Register site .......kind of "good buy" for that one, and "good bye" for my old one. Regarding the battery as it is now, yep I'll get it checked out and maybe have to replace that as well .........no point charging up something that doesn't want to be, I guess any additional under-bonnet space created by a flat battery wouldn't compensate for the car not starting (sorry for that - time for my tablets !!). :blink:

Just a quickie...

I went to a product which has very similar specifications to the CTEK.

Mine comes from the supermarket Lidl.

It cost £12.99 and looks almost the same, has 3 different output levels for M/cycles, cars and boost. For 3 years has done sterling service on my TR3A.

The product is so good in fact that I have since my purchase bought 6 others for family and friends.

As always with Lidl you have to get in the shop at the right time, that is when they have them in stock. When the item is sold out from a particular store that is it till they re-run the promotion nation and Europe wide.

They got them in at the start of Jan, at my local store, but have now run out. I guess the local Car Spares shop owner buys them all and flogs them at twice the price, probably to people after a CTEK. (I know I would)

Check their web page for up and coming offers.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID-4B934468-DB624E56/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=7728

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT