radio tower

I think mine's still got the original covering. It's a thin layer (what, 2-3mm?) layer of brittle foam with a plastic leather look coating that cracks at the earliest opportunity around the edges :-)

You could be a devil and attack that with emery paper and polish to get the alloy looking shiny. I am considering that myself...if I still can't sell my car.

Edited by Mike Goldthorpe

Hi Tony

Yes - you can buy a covering that is similar to the original.

I did mine a few years ago.

Get all the old foam and vinyl off and then the new one glues over it. It's a bit messy, but looks good.

I got my cover from TR Trader - 0161 485 5005, but I guess all the usual suppliers sell them.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

You sure? I phoned before Xmas and he said he couldn't get them anymore................

OOPS sorry I must have bought the last one just before you.

Stuart

They were nice but nearly £200, wow....

Mine came from the Roadster Factory, part no rep323. They offer alternative versions for CP & CR cars. When I ordered mine, it was the only one I was able to find which was made in a similar way to the original item, i.e. moulded over a foam inner. Most of the recovering kits are made from a sheet of expanded vinyl and include stitched seams around the gear lever. The finished effect is indistiguishable from the original, other than looking a lot less tatty!

They offer alternative versions for CP & CR cars.

Is there a difference in CP & CR "H" frames?

I have a "CP" car, but I purchased a re-covering kit from "British Parts Northwest" to suit the later "CR" as that's all they had in stock at the time. Will it still fit my CP "H" frame? The difference they said at the time was in speaker mountings (I think?), the earier car not having any.

Regards,

Richard.

Is there a difference in CP & CR "H" frames?

I have a "CP" car, but I purchased a re-covering kit from "British Parts Northwest" to suit the later "CR" as that's all they had in stock at the time. Will it still fit my CP "H" frame? The difference they said at the time was in speaker mountings (I think?), the earier car not having any.

Regards,

Richard.

The cover will fit, the difference being the ones with the side speaker panels have a slight "cut in" on either side of the "H" frame which is moulded in the cover . I can never remember whether its cp with or without it.

Stuart.

I'm about to re-cover my radio tower, I've got a Rimmer Bros vinyl one, some of the foam on my is in not such a good way, any recomendations? Can anyone recomend a trim adhesive, that I can get from say Halfords, so I can get on with the job this weekend?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Stuart,

It would seem the CP is without.

So can/should I cut my CP "H" frame to suit the speaker panel mounts?

Regards,

Richard.

Its not as simple as that as the cut in is actually the way it is cast. I would try the new cover over first after you have removed all the old covering and see how it sits or alternatively try and get a CR frame.

Stuart.

I'm about to re-cover my radio tower, I've got a Rimmer Bros vinyl one, some of the foam on my is in not such a good way, any recomendations? Can anyone recomend a trim adhesive, that I can get from say Halfords, so I can get on with the job this weekend?

Cheers

Steve

Not seen the Rimmers one. Does it have a foam lining or is it just vinyl? Trim glue and foam can be difficult and needs to be applied sparingly otherwise it soaks through. Halfrauds probably do a spray on adhesive but test it on a bit that wont be seen first.

Stuart.

The cover will fit, the difference being the ones with the side speaker panels have a slight "cut in" on either side of the "H" frame which is moulded in the cover . I can never remember whether its cp with or without it.

Stuart.

Hi all,

The CP and CR dash supports both have the cut outs for the the side gearbox trim panel The CR ones also have a hole for the interior light switch, situated under the radio aperture. It is possible they make a "universal" one whereby you cut the hole out yourself.

I bought a cp one (from the Roadster Factory)years ago and fitted it myself using contact adhesive, have to be quick though, excellent fit looked good

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi all,

The CP and CR dash supports both have the cut outs for the the side gearbox trim panel The CR ones also have a hole for the interior light switch, situated under the radio aperture. It is possible they make a "universal" one whereby you cut the hole out yourself.

I bought a cp one (from the Roadster Factory)years ago and fitted it myself using contact adhesive, have to be quick though, excellent fit looked good

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi Dave

As far as I know the CP is flat where the kidney panel fits, and imho it looks better that way

Hi , i am about to cover mine with leather recovering kit from moss. but had to send it back because the "legs" were too short to trim around the bottom. presently awaiting a replacement. took all the old foam off except the ridio spkr bumps. i intend to put foam underneath first though.

I have to agree with Dave, all TR6 whether CC,CP or CF or CR had the cut out for the kidney pads which all TR6 had and the main difference is that the CR and CF had an interior light switch. CF models also had a different casting or was it just cover? to cater for the heater controls identification lamp arrangement.

cheers

Derek

Neil,

it seems possible/likely that you have the TR6 part on your car and Richard has the TR5 part on his car.

I found plenty of the TR6 variety when looking for one for my TR5. I wanted the correct one, not a cheaper 'it'll do' TR6 part.

Richard, assuming I'm correct, bear this in mind if you decide to dispose of your TR5 part to replace it with the correct, more common, TR6 part.

David

Neil,

I'll give you a ring when I get home, you could then tell me exactly what shape I'm looking for, and if it is as David suggests a TR5 part.

I'm not too fussed which part I have as long as it accepts the re-covering kit (they should do one for Sunday mornings) I have.

Regards,

Richard.