Long Door Vent

Hi All

I have started to gather bits for the restoration of my long door TR2 - built 9 Sept 1954.

It was built without a heater, but it has had one added at some point - I imagine in the early 60's before it was taken off the road.

I notice that it doesn't have a vent on the scuttle (is that the right word?) below the windscreen.

My question - is this correct or has the vent been removed? Should I add one?

Any help and/or advice welcomed.

Roger

Hi Roger,

All long door and some short door TR2s (to TS 6157) front bulkheads were made without the vent.

Usual caveats apply........ie I think thats how it is and happy to bow to superior knowledge!!

Regards, Chris

Hi All

I have started to gather bits for the restoration of my long door TR2 - built 9 Sept 1954.

It was built without a heater, but it has had one added at some point - I imagine in the early 60's before it was taken off the road.

I notice that it doesn't have a vent on the scuttle (is that the right word?) below the windscreen.

My question - is this correct or has the vent been removed? Should I add one?

Any help and/or advice welcomed.

Roger

Roger that is correct for your car hence the heaters at that time where known as "Fug stirrers!" :blink:

Stuart

"Fug stirrers!" :blink:

Stuart

Sounds nice :huh:

Thanks Stuart and Chris for your prompt replies.

I was worried that someone had removed the vent and welded - or something - the gap. I haven't started to strip that area (or any other area for that matter) yet, so wondered whether I would find any repair/bodge and have to put a new one in.

Cheers chaps :)

Roger

Hello Roger,

In really cold weather its said that the heater in sidescreens is useless and you must buy a very expensive one to really feel the difference.

This is not true.

The heater in my TR3A worked very well and kept you warm with the roof and screens on, and I always forgot to open the vent anyway.

When the roofs off you can borrow my flyin Jacket!!

The problem with the early (no-vent) TR2 is that one is re-circulating the air within the cockpit and, with a human being in there, the water vapour (humidity) content keeps rising - unless you stop breathing, of course. Hence, the cockpit gradually becomes a sauna, not helped by the fact that sidescreens are rarely watertight, so rain gets in and adds even more to the humidity. And if it is a wet day, you probably entered the car with rain on your clothing - and so on! The easiest way to avoid the sauna effect is to remove the hood - but you might think that somewhat extreme!

Ian Cornish

Roger, I am completing the restoration of an October 54 long door 2, which of course has no vent flap either. Unless you are a stickler for originality I propose getting the TR3 sidescreens which still attached to the door at the base but were the first of the sliding window variety. Our era TR2s had a single sown in sheet of plastic which didn't open. I'm hoping the availability of a window may assist the above mentioned problems in all but the worst weather when hood and sidescreens are erected.

Hard Top, side screens,you mean these were available for the TR 2????????????

As Monty Python says "you wer looky",---------"we used ter dreem o' roof n' side windoows" We 'ad ter mak doo wi't plastic bags round wer nees"

"plastic bag?" we used ter dreem o' plastic bag"..........."wee 'ad ter wrap oor legs wit broon paper sookit in drippin'"

"Drippin' we used ter dreem o' drippin'.................................

A true TR driver has a complexion vaguely reminescent of a walnut, "drown! sorry brown" and wrinkly. Wind and sunburn. Comment when I bought the car rain "don't worry if you drive fast enough the rain doesn't bother you".

Biggles helmet, flying jacket and aero screens man, where's your spirit of adventure?

IMHO I would not alter an early longdoor and fit a vent but fit an upgraded heater.

Cheers

Rod

My TR3A does have a working original type heater, although as the motor bearings squeal it never gets switched on, but I can't say it bothers me (although there may be a minor disagreement from the passenger seat huh.gif ).

However, for those with even thinner blood than mine now is, it must be possible to fit a standard (or improved, modern) heater and duct fresh air to it from the front grill and through the bulkhead.

Don't worry chaps - for now I will be leaving it without the vent.

I will see if the heater works, but it doesn't really bother me. I just put another layer on if I get cold and my wife probably won't ever even get in the car!

Thanks for replies. Most entertaining :)

Roger

Think that's what the AH Sprite (Mk1) did Brian isn't it? Long flexible pipe.

Andy

Sounds familiar - and brings back some memories. I tried to buy a nice Frogeye to replace my first car (Standard 10 Super with extra rust) but couldn't agree a price and bought a Spitfire instead. Stuck with Triumphs ever since and often wonder what would have happened if the Frogeye owner had phoned back just a couple of days earlier when he decided to accept my offer. I guess I'd have a Big Squealey nowadays which was my dream machine at that time (apart from the unattainable Cobra sad.gif ).