Hey Guys, the Red River Triumph Club's Holiday Party is Saturday night. We all bring a side dish, and British fare is always appreciated. So, with that in mind, I am going to try to make Yorkshire Pudding. Although, from what I can pull off of Google, I am going to add a piece of sausage into each "pan" and try to make toad in the hole. I will try it at home tomorrow before I make a fool of myself in front of the entire club.

If it bombs, I will go with my usual deviled eggs.

Hey Guys, the Red River Triumph Club's Holiday Party is Saturday night. We all bring a side dish, and British fare is always appreciated. So, with that in mind, I am going to try to make Yorkshire Pudding. Although, from what I can pull off of Google, I am going to add a piece of sausage into each "pan" and try to make toad in the hole. I will try it at home tomorrow before I make a fool of myself in front of the entire club.

Good for you George and I'm sure you will get some advice here if you need it. Toad in the Hole goes great with mashed potatoes and peas with gravy. If all else fails you could go with Spotted Dick in a can.. Yum.

Stan

I am going to try to make Yorkshire Pudding.

Can also be eaten with jam, as a pudding. Not for nothing are Northeners corpulent. tongue.gif

Ivor

Can also be eaten with jam, as a pudding. Not for nothing are Northeners corpulent. tongue.gif

Ivor

Or a large one filled with gravy for a starter!

Stuart.

"When did they stop using real toads?"

When they realised it wasn't actually the height of good manners to hurl the toad at the person sitting opposite . . . . toads always fight back, usually accompanied by the rest of the meal. I think projectile vomiting probably went out of fashion with the departure of the Romans. :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that even in France, a culinary melting pot not noted for undue delicacy, they'll gleefully scoff frogs, snails, overfed geese, and even more overfed sparrows. But not toads. :P

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

When did they stop using real toads?

I believe BadFrog appealed to the European Court of Amphibian Rights. Alas, for BadFrog, as the ECAR was stuffed full with French eurocrats, they restricted it to Toads so that they could continue eating their favourite dish.

Coincidentally, BadFrog seems to have gone missing from the Forum recently.unsure.gifohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi George

To make Yorkshire pudding you need equal quantities of eggs, milk & plain flour, ie. 1 cup of eggs etc, beat together until a smooth batter add a pinch of salt and let it rest. Cook the sausages in oven at gas mark 7 for 10 mins pour the batter over the sausages and bake for 30 mins reduce heat to gas mark 6 and bake for a further 15 mins, serve with onion gravy.

Good luck George

I have been known to be in tears over Yorkshire "biscuits" when first married!

Sue ;)

NB Chicken Tikka Massala is our national dish nowadays, no kidding.

Edited by SuzanneH

As a fully qualified Yorkshireman (Skipton, way back ....) I think I must insist that the only purist way to eat Yorkshire pudding is as a stand-alone starter, with a rich beef gravy poured over it.

But if you must .... serve it along with a plateful of roast beef and vegetables ....

[Anyone who adds jam to it, as a separate dish, must be a southerner ....]

GRAHAM ROBSON

I totally agree with Graham. My mother was not from Yorkshire. She was a Lancashire girl and she used to serve it almost every Sunday with roast beef and gravy. My father who hailed from Glasgow as well as my three brothers always appeciated it.

But when I was 15, I met Louise who has a French ancestry dating back in Canada to 1737. I think I've only had Yorkshire pudding twice during the 44 years we've been married. If you look at the photo of me when I was 18, you'll understand that I've made a better decision ahead of Yorkshire pudding any day.

Hi Peter

Cheeky! no INSULT he needs to get out more

"I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, but it keeps them on the knife!"

(I don't know who wrote it, but it feels right)

I also eat yorkshire pudding with jam. I am not a southerner. I am South Western.

I also eat yorkshire pudding with gravy, and sometimes with thunder and lightning (clotted cream and golden syrup).

My kids think I'm weird because I soak up gravy with a hunk of bread, but growing up in the 50s in a family of eight means you do what is necessary.

I always enjoyed Toad in the hole and still make it occasionally for my kids who also seem to really enjoy it.

TT

Criminetely! I didn't mean to start a civil war! I guess that every country on the planet has a "north-south split." And, like America, you are big enough - area-wise - to have many dialects. But, that is another story.

Re. the pudding, the baker friend of mine just brought over two toad in the holes that she had made. She used "pre-cooked" sausage, but I am going to use raw sausage and cook it awhile before I pour the batter in. I loved her pudding, but, of course, without the sausage, you have warm bread. My preference would be with Graham: beef gravy and/or roast beef. I hear that Americans like it with onion gravy over it. Hell, I'd eat CAMEL DUNG if you poured gravy over it!

Well, I'll let you know how it turns out. We have a British couple in the club, so I will see how Duncan and Sheila like it. THEY are my real audience. Americans don't know squat - we pour catsup on everything!

Thanks for all the great comments. I guess that when things get quiet on here, all I need to do is mention some English food, then jump back out of the way!

Belated happy new year to you all.

Interesting that "toad in the hole" to us is a slice of bread with a centre hole pulled out, buttered on both sides and dropped on the barbie.

Next you break an egg into the hole.

Flip after a minute or two, then add salt and pepper to suit.

Convenient warm camp food to eat with the hands like a sandwich.

Early morning debate is about who's going to crank up the fire and "do the toads".

Our real toads, as in Cane Toads, look to have nice meaty legs, but alas are deadly poisonous and best left for golf practice. cool.gif

Regards,

Viv.

Interesting that "toad in the hole" to us is a slice of bread with a centre hole pulled out, buttered on both sides and dropped on the barbie.

Next you break an egg into the hole.

Flip after a minute or two, then add salt and pepper to suit.

Convenient warm camp food to eat with the hands like a sandwich.

Early morning debate is about who's going to crank up the fire and "do the toads".

Our real toads, as in Cane Toads, look to have nice meaty legs, but alas are deadly poisonous and best left for golf practice. cool.gif

Regards,

Viv.

Nom de dieu

You're all showing your age......... When a TR forum (and a sidescreen one at that) starts exchanging recipés then I know the end of the world as I know it is not far away. And I have lived in France for over 30 years !!

Pringle must be having small ones over this acquired Gallic habit

james

Aye Jim Lad,

you're not far wrong . . . . .

Age shall not weary them - not bloody much. Just addles their omelettes. :rolleyes:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition, this is supposed to be a ruddy sports car forum, not a sodding sewing bee, cookery class or knitting circle. Why do I want to know about recipes for ruddy Yorkshire Pud or Toad in the Hole, for crying out loud ? What the heck do you think I've got a wife for ? :D

It's like this damn barbecue nonsense, burn half the rainforests to create enough charcoal to burn to death perfectly good meat, and give the ozone layer a double whammy whilst you're at it . . . . And why does any bloke want to prance round in his wife's Pinafore burning his fingers and pretending to be some nancy boy TV chef, glass of wine in one hand and 'here's one I made earlier' in t'other ? Next thing it'll be geezers in stockings and suspenders dunking fondue over a boy scout's campfire. Maybe it's one of these male bonding rituals, reserved for chaps who aren't sure where they ought to be dipping their wicks ? :P

If you must have Yorkshire Pud then nip down The Walnut Tree, one of my locals, of a Sunday lunchtime - cook does a cracker, buy him a pint and he'll give you a plateful of puds. Just don't start offering him a pinny and Beaujolais instead, he'll wipe the grin off your face with a leg of lamb. Don't call him a chef either, or you'll get a lecture on Froggie pooves - he's a cook, Army trained, does food for blokes ! ;)

Cheers,

Alec

Aye Jim Lad,

you're not far wrong . . . . .

Age shall not weary them - not bloody much. Just addles their omelettes. :rolleyes:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition, this is supposed to be a ruddy sports car forum, not a sodding sewing bee, cookery class or knitting circle. Why do I want to know about recipes for ruddy Yorkshire Pud or Toad in the Hole, for crying out loud ? What the heck do you think I've got a wife for ? :D

It's like this damn barbecue nonsense, burn half the rainforests to create enough charcoal to burn to death perfectly good meat, and give the ozone layer a double whammy whilst you're at it . . . . And why does any bloke want to prance round in his wife's Pinafore burning his fingers and pretending to be some nancy boy TV chef, glass of wine in one hand and 'here's one I made earlier' in t'other ? Next thing it'll be geezers in stockings and suspenders dunking fondue over a boy scout's campfire. Maybe it's one of these male bonding rituals, reserved for chaps who aren't sure where they ought to be dipping their wicks ? :P

If you must have Yorkshire Pud then nip down The Walnut Tree, one of my locals, of a Sunday lunchtime - cook does a cracker, buy him a pint and he'll give you a plateful of puds. Just don't start offering him a pinny and Beaujolais instead, he'll wipe the grin off your face with a leg of lamb. Don't call him a chef either, or you'll get a lecture on Froggie pooves - he's a cook, Army trained, does food for blokes ! ;)

Cheers,

Alec

:lol::lol::lol:

I must confess I did not type it the missus did ;) and George it should have been at the Bar :P

.......When a TR forum (and a sidescreen one at that) starts exchanging recipés then I know the end of the world as I know it is not far away.

Blimey, I've just caught up with this thread - I'm gonna sell TuRK and by me a TR6 again! :D

Cheers and keep the gravy flowing...........

Andrew

..... this is supposed to be a ruddy sports car forum, not a sodding sewing bee, cookery class or knitting circle. Why do I want to know about recipes for ruddy Yorkshire Pud or Toad in the Hole, for crying out loud

Well, if you're going to drive around in a draughty rattletrap of a sidescreen, there has to be some incentive, and what better than a plateful of Yorkshire + honey, clotted cream, jam, syrup, evap, gravy etc waiting at the other end.

Could do worse on Sunday, the menu at Hopcroft looks rather effete for a sports car gathering... tongue.gif

Mind you, it's rumoured to be a 70s dress code, perhaps Yorkshire would excessively test the seams of those how-did-I-ever-get-into-these flares laugh.gif

Ivor