5 speed diff

Guest trminator

5 speed diff, WOW thats clever, driven trucks with 2 speed ones  :D  Mines just the single speed 3.08:1......

Might be worth draining it before you refill, get new backplate gasket and drop backplate off. As Malc said fill up is simple.

Jim

Guest trminator

Actually the diff can handle all sorts of speeds, not just five.  But you are right, just the one ratio!

I see a drain plug (on the side and pointing down - I won't get enough in there beofre it starts to come out again.)  I also see a plug at the top which has cuts up it's length so it must be a breather (has a torx T40 star on its top), but it's smaller in diameter than the type of breather one see in Rimmers catalogue.  Is this the hole I'm meant to be filling through?  It's flippin' small. :P

Kyle,

There is a fairly big hex headed bolt about half way up the right hand side of the diff casting, just underneath the casting flange. If you lie under the back of the car you can not see it, but you should be able to reach and feel for it with your right hand. This I think is the one I used to top mine up, just after I got it thee years ago. Good job too, it had very little in it. Just caught it in time fortunately. If you use one of the squirty oil containers, you should have no probs doing the job.

Ray

Jacking up on the one side, does make it a lot easier to squeeze a plastic container to squirt the oil in, and as Alec says you can lower and allow the level to set itself, but in practice, you'll only put <½ a cupful extra in.