original TR2 trim colors

Although supposedly long discontinued, a colleague owns a Blackberry trimmed early short door BRG TR2 about TS48xx - 0. Most of it is still original with the leather seat facings showing a wonderful patina after 58.5 years of faithful service.

A 1957 TR3A with original Blackberry trim is indeed a novelty. Unlikely to be a leftover kit or unwanted dealer trim swap due to the differences between the small mouth and wide mouth trims and seats, so possibly a special order job.

Viv.

Edited by vivdownunder

FWIW, My early Tr2 January 1954 according to the heritige Trust records it left the factory with Racing Green bodywork, Black Trim and Beige Hood.

But according to the Standard Trace it was British Racing Green, with beige interior, and beige hood.

The green log book states Racing Green, go figure.

The Beige leather and vinide trim were still in the car and I have not reason to believe it was changed.

In 1954 I do not think this combination was a standard one or even Standard one.

I will post a picture at some point of the car in 1972 when I bought it. Complete with 48 spoke wires, overdrive, and heater.

Rgds

Rod

Guys, I don't want to be annoying by posting this horrible picture, but perhaps this will get the message across...

254811d1349682357-finally-picked-up-2012

I have no f"ing idea what 'rexine', 'geometric pattern' and/or 'metric trim' is. And I'm sure there a more people around here who don't know.

Menno

Rexine is a sort of fake leather upholstery material. Think it's called PU leather or something these days and seen in el cheapo leather coats from PRC.

Geometric, shortened to metric or wicker or cross hatch was a vynil trim material fitted to a sprinkling of TR2's and perhaps early TR3's. It came as shown in Stuart's pic in a sort of cream with light greeny grey and red with black. Can't have been very popular as they bunged it in a container and shipped it down to Oz to fit in the 111 or so CKD TR3's assembled here in Melbourne. We also got the leftover drum brake kits and all sorts of odds and ends of engines, allegedly rebuilt after being found with original defects.

We also received a Geranium TR2 when the owner, then in the UK, ordered Red. Letters of protest met with the response - "you ordered Red so we sent you Geranium Red". Yeah, pig's bum, it was a scam to get rid of an unwanted colour. Anyhow it grew on the owner and he kept it until he passed recently at age 92. It's now with his son, so effectively one family owner since 1954.

Viv.

Viv does that mean their is some left over Metric trim floating around in Australia somewhere?

Stuart.

My first TR had the remains of metric trim. The seat backs were vinyl metric but the faces were grey leather, a combination I thought was like damning with faint praise.

By the way, Rexine and Vinyde were both brand names originally used by ICI. Rexine dated back pre-war and was cloth and cellulose based and burns quite well of course. It is still available to the book binding trade and I know some commercial vehicle preservationists have used it in buses (on cost grounds) despite it being thin and not very durable. I doubt that the modern stuff has cellulose in it these days. Vynide and various other similar fabrics from other companies, Duranide, Durex (yes really) are PVC based and generally use a thicker cloth base. Most restorers are more or less obliged to use more modern fabrics because the retailers won't supply anything that does not meet fire regs. I recently bought something very like the original Vynide for another project, though perhaps I managed to get it because I had need of two complete rolls.

Edited by Nick Webster

Viv does that mean their is some left over Metric trim floating around in Australia somewhere?

Hi Stuart,

None of the ex UK metric from 1956, but from original snippets a colleague has made cream metric to rebuild the first Oz assembled TR3. Another is just in the process of having red metric made for a later Oz assembled TR3 rebuild. Not sure if there's any cream hanging around, but red's hot off the press. It would send me cross eyed :)

Regards,

Viv.

Hmm yes I suspect a long trip looking at that would definitely not help! I have never been keen on it anyway as It always looked "cheap" to me.

Stuart.