Oil pressure switch

Ok I know that I should really know the answer to this, but....

I just bought a second hand slant 4 engine which seems to be in good order.  I was cleaning it up and checking for missing bits, etc.  Then I noticed that the oil pressure switch has three spade connectors.  On my FHC and (from memory) my last DHC there was only a single connector.

Can anyone tell me why this is??  Mr Haynes mentions the possibility of one or three connectors briefly but goes no futher to enlighten me  :(

Malcolm.

One is to light the oil low pressure warning light as normal, the other two only allow power to the electric fuel pump of an SD1 so that if the engine isn't running the fuel pump stops, eg if you crash the car & the engine stops. This is bypassed during cranking to allow the carbs to prime.

Andy

Thanks for all the replies.  This is still a bit odd as the car had a standard 2L motor with a mechanical fuel pump.  Therefore there doesn't seem to be any reason for it.  I've bought a new single connector switch now anyway.

Cheers

Malcolm.

I think the idea would be that someone had a three prong and since the fitting is the same they just used it. It would be pointless connecting the fuel pump electrical connectors, in that case, I guess there was only the sensor to earth wire fitted?