Tr7 electrics

Guest Paul Kelsey

Guest Paul Kelsey

I have acquired a neglected Tr7 (off the road for 5 years) and am trying to sort this for MOT but a bit stuck with the electrics and need advice.

The hazard lights work ok but the direction indicator lights come on but do not flash, even though the flasher unit works (tested). I assume this to be due to poor connections/ high resistance.

Can anyone please help  & point me in the right direction.

Paul

Hi Paul.  If the flasher unit is OK then (as you guess) this is most likely due to a poor connection.  I suggest you look at the earths for the front and rear flasher units.  Clean these up and establish good earths and most likely this will solve the problem.

If not, just post again  :;):

Malcolm.

Guest Paul Kelsey

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the tips, I hope to try tomorrow.

I've taken the lenses off the side/flasher units and they are pretty ropey but it came with one new unit, actually for a Morris Marina, just needs the studs modifying.

I still wish the wiring was a ssimple as my 3A & 4A.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Paul

Guest Paul Kelsey

Hi Chaps

Sorry to report that I am still flashless! though all four lights work. The hazards work ok.

I have doubled up the earth connections and cleaned up all fuses and terminals.

In view of Andys suggestion re hazard warning switch, I have taken a temp feed direct from battery pos. but still they dont flash'

Any more ideas?

Cheers

Paul

ps Bad week - my mig welder has just packed up.

Guest Ric.7

hi there when you say you checked the flasher unit have you checked both there is two on mine i found this out i had same problem the one for the indicators is down the drivers side by the bonnet release and choke it may not be on yours but its worth a look good luck

Richard

(tr7 fhc rusty red)

There are definitely two flashers as on is four turn signal, the other is higher rated for hazards.

Also don't know how you would easily bypass the flasher switch, can you borrow another one to try it before buying? It is also possible to carefully open them up & clean (use electrical cleaner & reassemble with petroleum jelly, silicone grease or similar. Yuo will be amazed how grotty the switches get inside. Be careful of the little bits & where they go.

Have fun

Andy

Andy

Guest Paul Kelsey

Hi Andy

Thanks for the suggestion re cleaning flasher unit. I now actually have three of them, the original, a new one from Moss and one donated by a friend. I have tested all three directly on to the battery connected to two old 21W bulbs in parallel and they all flash happily.

Same set up on the car and the dont! even though there is 12 volts at supply to flasher.

However by putting another 21W bulb into the circuit via the unused repeater lamp terminals they begin to flash.

Does this suggest anything to you?  

Cheers, Paul

Suggests that the flasher unit does not have enough current passing through it to work correctly. The old ones work by heating a bi-metallic strip. Therefore the circuit is not drawing enough current, which must be a bad connection somewhere, or a bulb is high resistance, or the wrong wattage. This is why the units fail to flash properly when a bulb goes out.

Ray

I agree it sounds like a problem with the current draw. I would be checking the quality of all the connections in the car, bearing in mind the ones to the front units are under the nose cone. It was actually the hazard warning switch i meant you to clean internally as well as the connectors. Sorry,  I see it wasn't very clear now i read my post again. You have checked both flasher units I presume (i'm pretty sure there are two?) They aren't the same units as one has to supply 4x21W bulbs + any repeaters and the other only supplies 2x21 bulbs + any repeater. If you had the wrong one it would give strange results.

Happy hunting

Andy

Guest Paul Kelsey

Hi chaps

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have already tried with the engine running but still no joy.

Therefore must assume it is bad connections, so I'll go back to square one and start all over again.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Kelsey

Hi Chaps

Duly cleaned all connections,put in new (double) earth wires,solder on bulbs where they seemed slighty loose and still no joy.

Puzzled & fed up I moved on to other jobs.

Yesterday two friends ( TR6 men) came along to give their opinion, and when switched on, guess what, the bloody things worked perfectly!

I always maintain auto electrics are a "black art"

Thanks again for help.

Cheers

Paul

PS Does anyone know how to fix the horns++++++++++

Paul,

Trouble about these cars is that at 23 years old and older the complex? wiring looms fitted to the cars can easily be effected by somthing as simple as damp in the air. I used to have a TR7 that would raise it's lights and flash with no one in or near the car - only ever happened when it was damp. Your problem may well be down to something similar which is why when your TR6 pals turned up it did work. If you put lots of connectors in a chain as Triumph/Lucas did for the TR7 it only takes one to be a bit loose or dirty to upset all sorts of other things - best bet is to go round the whole car and clean every earth to the body and then clean every connection plug replacing where they are really bad.

Richard

I always maintain auto electrics are a "black art"

Hence "Lord Lucas - Prince of Darkness"!!!

One tip, having cleaned or replaced contacts (not the points in the distributor though!!) or connectors, apply some electricians' silicone grease - water and damp hate it - end of corrosion problems.