Jumping out of 3rd gear

I have been having problems with my gearbox over the summer with it jumping out of 3rd gear. It is usually, but not exclusively when I accelerate. I have also had the odd problem with it changing down to 2nd. (stiff /reluctant to go in)

Can anyone advise what the likely cause is?

(This is a CR series car, with a overdrive box)

I am planning on taking the box out over the winter to investigate. Is it best to lift the box out from inside the car, or drop it out of the bottom. Both seem to be feasible?

Thanks

Tony

I have been having problems with my gearbox over the summer with it jumping out of 3rd gear. It is usually, but not exclusively when I accelerate. I have also had the odd problem with it changing down to 2nd. (stiff /reluctant to go in)

I am planning on taking the box out over the winter to investigate. Is it best to lift the box out from inside the car, or drop it out of the bottom. Both seem to be feasible?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

And Welcome to the Forum. :rolleyes:

Am no expert on the guts of a gearbox.

However i have removed and replaced two Tr6 gearboxs and one Tr4. You are best removing the seats

and taking out from the inside.Not too bad a job, one of my first jobs on my motor.

Dont think its possible to drop it out from underneath

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy is right about taking it out from inside, and also about removal being an easy job. I've done this several times with the earlier TRs and it's a one-man job removing, but well worth having a second pair of hands to replace and re-align correctly. There are lots of posts on here about re-aligning and the problems resulting from getting it wrong!

Hi Tony,

re - popping out of 3rd - have you changed the rubber gear stick boot recently.

The last two that I have had (in the last 18months) were very stiff rubber.

When 3rd is selected the rubber boot is trying to disengage the gear. Eventually the boot splits in two and solves the problem.

Roger

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

Could be the selector(s) which requires only the gearbox cover to come off.

Stan

Hi Tony,

re - popping out of 3rd - have you changed the rubber gear stick boot recently.

The last two that I have had (in the last 18months) were very stiff rubber.

When 3rd is selected the rubber boot is trying to disengage the gear. Eventually the boot splits in two and solves the problem.

Roger

Makes me feel better about not replacing my manky, perished and split original (or ancient) boot.

At least it allows a little extra heat into the car from the exhaust and gearbox in these inclement times (and the car stays in gear smile.gif ).

[Repro Rubber = Rubbish sad.gif ]

Edited by BrianC

Thanks for all of your replies. It sounds like “out the top” is the way forward.

I have the seats and the tunnel out now and can see there is plenty of room to work.

I am interested in any more comments about the possible cause of the problem. I have been reading up about the ball detents as a possible cause. Has anyone else come across this one?

Thanks for the tip about the new boot, However I am still attached to my old boot.....

Cheers

Tony

Less usual to be jumping out under power, generally on the overrun.

You may have found this thread already? If not, possibly helpful, also the links in the posts of 11 & 15 June.

http://www.tr-regist...1&view=&hl=gear +jump*&fromsearch=1

Be worth exhausting the possibilities of rectifying the selectors before you take the gearbox out of the car. Especially as taking it out may lead to ponderings about the clutch, another worm can....

Ivor