THOROUGHBRED SPORTSCAR CHAMPIONSHIP

Not at all Roy but it would seem that the cars never ran without screens in the first place at least the works one's,so it looks like to an outsider that this has over time become acceptable,I for one would still prefer to see the the cars at least resemble what they should look like. Just my opinion though

Hi Neil, Roy,

perhaps this is a case of "it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it" ?

As a personal opinion, I'm inclined towards the view that production sports cars should run with standard screens - at least cars from 1961 onwards. Cut-down screens and aeroscreens seem to me more of a modsports than a prodsports norm.

However, it's all too easy for organisers - particularly if they are not experienced entrants or drivers themselves - to impose arbitrary change without adequately considering the practical and financial implications for the competitors. Perhaps that is the nub of this discussion ?

Single marque or model series are all well and good, but there has been a tendency for the technical regulations of such series, over time, to drift away from those of the main proprietary multi-marque series. If the one-make/model series eventually dies on its feet, reabsorbing those competing cars into the mainstream series is never going to be easy.

Traditionally there has been a period of grace permitted, as cars from a defunct series are allowed to gradually evolve into the mainstream over 2 or 3 seasons, the exemptions from specific requirements being reduced season by season. That transitional period can't last for ever. Sooner or later, all the grid have to fall into line. That's always going to be painful for someone. Managing change is never easy.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Neil, Roy,

perhaps this is a case of "it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it" ?

As a personal opinion, I'm inclined towards the view that production sports cars should run with standard screens - at least cars from 1961 onwards. Cut-down screens and aeroscreens seem to me more of a modsports than a prodsports norm.

However, it's all too easy for organisers - particularly if they are not experienced entrants or drivers themselves - to impose arbitrary change without adequately considering the practical and financial implications for the competitors. Perhaps that is the nub of this discussion ?

Single marque or model series are all well and good, but there has been a tendency for the technical regulations of such series, over time, to drift away from those of the main proprietary multi-marque series. If the one-make/model series eventually dies on its feet, reabsorbing those competing cars into the mainstream series is never going to be easy.

Traditionally there has been a period of grace permitted, as cars from a defunct series are allowed to gradually evolve into the mainstream over 2 or 3 seasons, the exemptions from specific requirements being reduced season by season. That transitional period can't last for ever. Sooner or later, all the grid have to fall into line. That's always going to be painful for someone. Managing change is never easy.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec

As per my previous post if it is run under MSA they have to allow time for change it is in the book it use to be

Edited by ntc

Hi Neil

I agree with you on the screen issue and even proposed it 4 years ago to the drivers meeting , voted on and did't get through.My TR3 has an aeroscreen which is still ok and my TR5 has a surrey[my choice as i like the look that way] my gripe has been the way that this treatment of other TR's has been handled.Even now there has been a part 2 of their plan in which none steel doors are not permited.

regards ROY

As the screens are easy removable without changing the body work it should be up to the driver how he runs the car. The later Spits don't have this choice because of the welded in screens. But for the TR3-6 I think they are not infringe the prodsports rules. Otherwise you would be forced to run the whole comfort equipment of the car like heater, carpets, codrivers seat, bumpers.....as a production car has.

As the car is much slower with the stock screen as it is with using a hardtop all cars would use a hardtop when being forced for the stock screens. THAT can make people think that Triumphs are closed cars and not open top.

So I think they should be run as we all know them, as an open car with small screens to be able to chase the Porsches around.

Cheers

Chris

26.09.09FHR039.jpg

Edited by MadMarx
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So it's back to as was but with the added weight penalty for those in class B, with all cars having to run 850kg which is a greater penalty for the TR2/3 cars but at this moment in time its only me that is affected as with the old 80% of kerb weight it ment we could run lighter than the 4s to make up for their better handling but hey so be it.I think that all 4 5 6 drivers now know what is on the horizon for next year.

I think that if they do get a championship scrutineer at all rounds as they have stated it could get quite livley at meetings but most of us go to races to get away from the politics and hastles of running bussinesses and not to walk into another load for pleasure.But if they pick on us as a group i hope they don't expect us not to fight back?

MG's watch out.

TR power

ROY

PS as for this years racing i really dont know if i need all this or even want it there are other places to have FUN and race.

Roy

Don't go getting all morbid on us.

We TR4, 5 & 6 drivers must continue to resist the proposed changes for 2011, we now have more time to prepare our case, collectively, and put forward a counter proposal which will hopefully be accepted to maintain the status quo.

Happy New Year to you.

Dave McD