any one have experiance of tr6 electronic fuel injection

Then you are all set. It's by far the tidiest approach when using a MS.

Hi Alan,

Just ordered :

1 x JimStim v1.4 MegaSquirt Stimulator w/ Wheel Simulator -Unassembl (jimstim-k)

1 x MegaSquirt PCB3.0 - Case, Endplates and HeatSink (MSx30-CEHS)

1 x MegaSquirt Tuning Cable (DB9 Straight Thru) (TuneCable6)

1 x MegaSquirt-II Engine Management System w/PCB3 - UnAssembled Kit (MS230-K)

1 x Weather Pack 22 position bulkhead connector kit (WP22M-K)

Total cost = $371 AUD which isn't bad.

Now checking Ebay for the EDIS 6 bits.

Cheers

You must have a lot more time on your hands than I do.

I bought mine assembled...

The relay board is a nice thing to have - makes mounting the MS in the passenger footwell so much easier. It mounts up over the washer bottle like this.

6867-6867-111032_36dsc_0007.jpg

Hi Alan,

Just ordered the relay board too...I forgot about that. My car is a RHD as opposed to yours but I will find a good spot for it.. :D

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello to all , it runs started first time , slight mis but due to old plug leads . just rewiring car with new fuse box and relay's , will keep you all informed

• 4 months later...

Not the norm on this thread (Megasquirt or Emerald) but DTA. I chose DTA over Megasquirt because I could not be arsed building an ECU and to me it seemed a bit over complicated. Also Megasquirt was in its infancy when I did mine.

Over Emerald because the software and features were far more advanced and Alan Warburton at DTA was more conversant with converting a TR engine than Dave Walker was (at that time). I rang them both and asked questions I allready knew the anwsers to.

Also Emerald appears to have a RFI supression problem efecting their ECU. Dave Walker told me that his ECU is fussy about spark plugs and requires the use of resistor plugs.

My DTA is most unfussy about plugs, it will run on anything. The only advisory I got from DTA was not to let plug leads touch as it will fire both at the same time even with good leads, my own personal experience backs this up.

Another part of my desision was to chose a british ECU was that at worst I could arrive on their doorstep. Did'nt need to do that, well impressed.

Engine spec.

2.5 motor overbored 60 thou to 2600.

Fully lightened balanced (Rev limit 7000).

Revington TR sprint cam, stated power band 4000 to 7000.

Ported and chambered high compression cylinder head.

6-3-1 stainless exhaust manifold.

PI throttle bodies bored to accept electronic injectors (hose type injectors) on std butterflies 6X45mm with custom made ram pipes.

Ford CAS wheel on crank mounted on a turned down big t power steering pulley sensor fitted inside the run of fan belt on a bracket welded to timing cover.

The standard butterflies 6X45mm are far too large for a road going motor (I knew this before I started this project but was determined to use them), I altered my maps to compensate to make them biased and better suited to low speed running. I compressed the map down from a max RPM of 14000 down to 7500 increasing useable maps resoloution this increases the number of low speed sites. I also altered the throttle position sites again biasing towards low throttle both these things were done to bias the map towards low speed control. even with this done my car will pull 70 mph at 0% throttle.

Throttle site 1 = 0% has fueling increased by rpm to compensate (throttle site 1 was specificly set up at 0%), complicated but it works.

Engine is very tractable, idles nicely and pulls from nothing but really comes on strong at 4000 rpm to rev limiter

Rev lmiter is set, soft cut 6800, hard cut 7000, shift light on at 5800.

Engine fitted to a striped out modified Mk 3 Gt6.

Edited by gt6s
  • 10 months later...

To drag this thread back from the dead I can report another Triumph 6 running electronic engine management.

Mk2 2.5PI running MSII. Original TBs bored out for Bosch solenoid injectors and butterflies removed in favour of a single TB on the plenum mouth. Also runs distributorless ignition courtesy of Ford EDIS-6 hardware, controlled by the same ECU.

Only on the road since Sunday so map is still a bit rough, but it's smooth, pulls hard and I've done 110 miles on 22 litres of fuel and not hit bottom yet......

Nick

post-7915-0-09614800-1308767948_thumb.jpg

post-7915-0-09614800-1308767948_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To drag this thread back from the dead I can report another Triumph 6 running electronic engine management.

Mk2 2.5PI running MSII. Original TBs bored out for Bosch solenoid injectors and butterflies removed in favour of a single TB on the plenum mouth. Also runs distributorless ignition courtesy of Ford EDIS-6 hardware, controlled by the same ECU.

Only on the road since Sunday so map is still a bit rough, but it's smooth, pulls hard and I've done 110 miles on 22 litres of fuel and not hit bottom yet......

Nick

I am completely in awe at you guys! I have as much understanding of electronic engine management systems as I do of interstellar travel. I guess that effectively rules me out from going down this route - I have spoken to Neil Revington, and his prices make it impossible for me.

Here is a question - I hope you will forgive my ignorance.

I Have a 74 CF from California - ergo low compression, carburettors etc. I have bought an Eaton M62 supercharger plus fitting kit. It uses an SU HD8 carb. My question concerns the Air/Fuel Ratio. Although I have only rudimentary knowledge of supercharging, I have had a lot of help from Peter Cobbold, and I understand that if the mixture 'leans' out, that will hole pistons. There is available a 'UEGO' probe, which can be connected to a gauge to display the AFR. Is this similar to a Lambda sensor?

I am told that an EDIS ignition, using 'wasted-spark' would lead to an explosion in the plenum (it's a suck-through system), so I have been looking into the 123TUNE distributor, but this does not appear to have an interface to a Lambda. Is there another way of using a distributer-less ignition?

Sorry to appear so stupid, I am great at dovetail joints, and making beautiful oak furniture, I can even have a go at basic engineering - but electronics might as well be explained in Martian.

Austin

Lean mixture under load can lead to detonation and holed pistons.

You need a wideband oxygen sensor - which is the "next generation" lambda sensor and gives a proper reading of Air/fuel ratio from at least 10:1 - 20:1 which is plenty range enough.

These come in various forms. Innovate make a selection - I use their LC 1 which interfaces to the ECU I use but can also be connected to a laptop and dash mounted display. Techedge is another make with a good rep but there are also several others.

Innovate LC1 can be had for about £130, display will be additional to that. Note that these things do not like lead or any other metallic fuel additives.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

http://wbo2.com/

As regards ignition, I don't see the issue with wasted spark? I run a wasted spark system and as I have batch fire injection (not timed sequential) I have just as much potential for ignitable mixture in the inlet as you do. In fact the wasted spark fires at the end of the exhaust stroke so there won't be anything ignitable there. That's how the system works.

There are other ways it can be done either using an ECU controlled single coil and a distributor to point the sparks at the right cylinder or using multiple coil packs (or coil on plug). A basic megasquirt ECU could easily do the former but the latter is more difficult and/or expensive.

Would be inclined to go for the MJL wasted spark system myself unless someone can provide a convincing argument as to why it won't work on a supercharged plenum arrangement but does (much proven!) work with carbs or plenum injection.....

Regards

Nick

To add to Nick's list:

AEM make a ready to go dash-top meter and wide-band sensor kit (they use the Bosch UEGO probe) for about £160.

Hi Austin,

I also use a wasted spark system with an Eidis module on my car. There are two ways of injecting your car, Multi-point and single point. Most of us chose multipoint (6 injectors in the inlet manifolds). Single point is 1 injector at the Throttle body on the plenum. This is not as efficient as multipoint and could possibly leave fuel on the plenum walls...if you did have a blow back (as you can when starting and tuning for the first time), and you have excess fuel in the plenum then yes, you could have a bang.

There are benefits in fitting EFI which have been discussed before but it's not that difficult if you take the installation in stages. Check out www.diyautotune.com Lots of info there and they supply everything you need.

Cheers

Tony

Austin

Beware, multi-point injection with a blower at the boost you'll get (up to 10psi) is guaranteed to hole a piston if an injector goes lean. And there will be no way of knowing before the clouds of blue smoke appear as detonation on one cylinder will be very difficult - impossible - to hear at full chat. An alert from a knock sensor would be mandatory - on each cylinder. Stick with the SU!- its OK for 200hp plus when feeding your M62.

Peter

This is not as efficient as multipoint and could possibly leave fuel on the plenum walls...if you did have a blow back (as you can when starting and tuning for the first time), and you have excess fuel in the plenum then yes, you could have a bang.

The wasted spark occurs in a cylinder on exhaust stroke with the inlet valve still shut. It won't be the spark lighting what's in the plenum. Very lean mix or retarded ignition might just lead to the fire still being lit when the inlet valve opens - this is what causes spitting back through the inlets and is nothing to do with wasted spark ignition.

I'm not sure that the risk of one injector malfunctioning and causing a holed piston are any more significant than the risk of a problem in a carb-fed system casuing several holed pistons? Start with clean, flowmatched injectors, put proper filters before and after the pump and it's extremely unlikely you'll have problems.

I have no problem with the SU/Supercharger combination though - simple and effective.

Nick