Inlet Manifolds -

Hi,

In my search for the right intake manifold for my low port head 302114 I found this one. It is made from steel and welded professionally. The carburetor side measures 1.75 inch and the other side 42.5mm.

Who can tell me the difference between intake manifold 302006 and 302118. I understand that both fits the low port head but which is the right one for my head? The ports from my head are 38mm.

Thanks for any help.

Frans

post-12163-0-62720600-1412953478_thumb.jpg

post-12163-0-07369400-1412953481_thumb.jpg

post-12163-0-17177500-1412953484_thumb.jpg

post-12163-0-96790100-1412953485_thumb.jpg

Alec - Regarding your mention above about efficiency and price of the various manifolds, I checked my Catalogue of Master Parts List and Prices published by S-T in New York for "Triumph Models USA - 1958.

Listed are the parts below.

302006 - Inlet Manifold - TR2-3 - selling price in 1958 US$14.40

302118 - Inlet Manifold - TR2-3 - selling price in 1958 US$20.00

302119 - Inlet Manifold - TR2-3 - selling price in 1958 US$14.50

Cheers

Don Elliott

Frans.

The manifold in your photo looks identical to the one formally on my high port TR3 when I bought it in 1971.

Following last years rebuild I took the opertunity to swap it for a standard high port inlet manifold.

The steel one ended up on another engine which the TR shop purchased from me.

In hind sight the steel one was probably better for performance as the flow of gasses is much more direct.

Bob.

Frans.

The manifold in your photo looks identical to the one formally on my high port TR3 when I bought it in 1971.

Following last years rebuild I took the opertunity to swap it for a standard high port inlet manifold.

The steel one ended up on another engine which the TR shop purchased from me.

In hind sight the steel one was probably better for performance as the flow of gasses is much more direct.

Bob.

Bob, thank you for your answer. I found another thread about low port inlet manifolds and I understand 302006 and 302118 have only minor differences and I can use both.

Is there anyone who has one for sale for me?

Thanks,

Frans

Bob, thank you for your answer. I found another thread about low port inlet manifolds and I understand 302006 and 302118 have only minor differences and I can use both.

Is there anyone who has one for sale for me?

Thanks,

Frans

I have a 302118 if you still require.

Stuart.

I

Did Derrington ever make an inlet manifold for SUs?

The "IT3" stamped manifold is fabricated from steel - it's not an

alloy casting. Well made, but it does leave the door open to it

being a special.

AlanR

Yes he did - our TR2 has the Derrington manifold with SUs. It is a casting. I'll post a picture in a few days. JJC

Frans, inlet manifold 302006 was for 1.75" SU carbies on the low port TR3 "Le Mans" head. Manifold 302118 was for 1.75" SUs on the later high port head. This manifold can be used on a low port head, although the peaks that sit above the head will need reshaping for a neat fit.

Both manifolds are for 38mm port heads.

I don't know who made your fabricated inlet manifold, but I've seen similar manifolds years ago on race cars. Later TR3A heads had a 1/4" deep rebate let into the inlet port entry that measured 1.5/8" or about 42.5mm diameter. This rebate was often reworked into a bell shaped entry to try and speed up gas flow through the port, which could explain why your inlet manifold is 42.5mm. Competition manifolds were sometimes made shorter to allow SU velocity stacks that otherwise would not clear the inner guard.

Viv

attachicon.gifP1020041(1).JPGHopefully attached should be a photo of the Derrington inlet manifold with SUs on the car. JJC

Dont want to worry you but I would redirect your carb float chamber overflows somewhere a bit safer than they are in that picture.

Stuart.

Dont want to worry you but I would redirect your carb float chamber overflows somewhere a bit safer than they are in that picture.

Stuart.

Stuart - I do see what you mean. It isn't the original exhaust manifold because thing of beauty though it is, it developed pinholes. So there's no danger of naked flame from the exhaust. Where does the danger arise, starter?

Wandering off a bit, I can't remember for the minute where the equivalent overflow is on the Strombergs on the 4. I was only looking at them yesterday and I can't picture an overflow pipe wandering off into deep safety. Mine don't overflow as yet so I can't say where it would go but I vaguely remember some time ago on my son's GT6 seeing overflow simply coming from the bottom of the float chamber. (We fixed it). JJC

Danger being hot exhaust .Originally the pipes were directed into the air filters when the black steel mesh ones were fitted. Though a better idea is to extend them down to the chassis level and outwards like the Healeys were.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

The overflow pipes in that position would be an MOT failure if spotted. Mine were similar to this although extended beyond the filters and my usual MOT man only picked it up after about 4 MOTs because one of the float chambers was flooding due to a stuck needle valve. Overflow were rapidly extended down to below chassis level in the wheelarch. Makes an awful lot of sense, especially if you have ever had a car on fire!

The overflow pipes in that position would be an MOT failure if spotted. Mine were similar to this although extended beyond the filters and my usual MOT man only picked it up after about 4 MOTs because one of the float chambers was flooding due to a stuck needle valve. Overflow were rapidly extended down to below chassis level in the wheelarch. Makes an awful lot of sense, especially if you have ever had a car on fire!

So what do we do with the Strombergs?

Hi Everyone ~

Yes indeed, I've attended more than my fair share of car fires and believe me they were really heart breaking ~

especially the Classic cars!!!

My 'E'-type Jaguar has the overflow pipes running down below the chassis ~ and I've copied the idea to my TR3A.

"You know it makes sense!"

Tom.

Having got HS6 carbs on my '3 there is not much I can do about the overflow. If the float chambers do overfill, then the excess fuel just seeps out of the top of the chamber, there is no pipe.

Bob.

Having got HS6 carbs on my '3 there is not much I can do about the overflow. If the float chambers do overfill, then the excess fuel just seeps out of the top of the chamber, there is no pipe.

Bob.

Bob,

You can buy replacement lids for HS6 carbs that do have an overflow pipe from Burlens. They cost about £25 each. Mine already had them when I bought them.

Rgds Ian