Hi Guy,

due to the lack of replies I will offer my thoughts although I do not have a 6. If shellac was originally used then there should be no reason not to use it now. However it does give quite a delicate coating and may chip off during assembly etc.

I would have thought one of the modern sealants such as 'Welseal' would do the job as when dry leaves a tough thin skin.

That should provoke the flow of expert advice :P:P

Roger

Some of the original workshop manuals quote wellseal for shellac use so I would go with that.

Stuart.

[All the books I've got say Wellseal. If your'e talking about the square cross section felt that slides down either side of the cap then I've used Wellseal on that. You tend to get more Wellseal coming out of the joint when you push the felt in than you would like. So I wouldn't soak the bits of felt in it for too long. Good luck. JJC

[All the books I've got say Wellseal. If your'e talking about the square cross section felt that slides down either side of the cap then I've used Wellseal on that. You tend to get more Wellseal coming out of the joint when you push the felt in than you would like. So I wouldn't soak the bits of felt in it for too long. Good luck. JJC

The guys at Racetorations recommended silicon RTV sealant when I rebuilt my engine a few years ago - just make sure that you wipe the surface inside the block clean after you have filled the cavity with the sealant to avoid getting any globules into the lube system. Also, degrease the surfaces prior to assembly. Much easier than faffing around with felt & Wellseal etc..