Chrome Wheel Spinners

I have recently purchased a new set of wheel spinners and want them to keep looking good for as long as possible,there must be a better way than smashing them with a great big copper mallet to tighten them,does anyone know of an alternative hammer or tool to use.

Lee Dutton

The hide end of the copper and hide hammer doesnt mark the spinners but generally needs a bigger smack to satisify myself that its tight enough. This agressive action tends after time, to goose the hide end up. So the next thing to happen is the steel part of the hammer catches the spinner. This is now worse than just using the copper end in the first place ;)

Dale

The wooden 'Spanner' lasts no time in service,

there was a site, mentioned here on the forum, German, I think that had a fabulous pukka socket come/T bar affair that looked the dogs whatsits, a search might help.

But the simplest and much the cheapest method is to use a rolled up newspaper on the ear of the spinner, and strike that with a copper or nylon hammer.

John.

I use the plywood spanner supplied by Moss USA, and it causes no damage. Yes,it does wear out, but it's still a lot cheaper than replacing the spinners. I used a lead hammer on the Borrani spinners on my 1962 Ferrari GTE, and they caused no damage, but lasted far fewer applications than the wooden spanners. I used to have the lead hammers made up three at a time. I'd never use a copper hammer. I also have the long-handle wrench/spanner, but after trying it once, I believe it would damage the spinners. Wood is the best, and I always keep one in the TR4. I just use the wire wheel hammer on the wooden spanner.