Did the TR3 saloon survive?

Does anyone know if either of these two interesting prototype TR3 saloons survived?

I don't recall them being mentioned or written about before, so I fear that they didn't.

I've been reading "Triumph Sports Cars" by William Krause and this picture is on page 25.

img098.jpg

Regards

Peter

Does anyone know if either of these two interesting prototype TR3 saloons survived?

I don't recall them being mentioned or written about before, so I fear that they didn't.

I've been reading "Triumph Sports Cars" by William Krause and this picture is on page 25.

img098.jpg

Regards

Peter

I like it!

I'm not sure that 'inspired' is the right word ! Personally, I would say that the late-model Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans was a sort-of inspiration.

Interesting comment about the registration - which of our European forum readers can advise ? It isn't UK, it isn't Irish, it isn't USA, it isn't French .... Oh well, I'll wait to be told.

GRAHAM ROBSON

I'm not sure that 'inspired' is the right word ! Personally, I would say that the late-model Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans was a sort-of inspiration.

Interesting comment about the registration - which of our European forum readers can advise ? It isn't UK, it isn't Irish, it isn't USA, it isn't French .... Oh well, I'll wait to be told.

GRAHAM ROBSON

Viv will probably supply you with the definitive answer, it looks as if it could be one of our number plates but really depends on the year for as far as I am aware from around the late 50's (In victoria at least) we were a combination of letters and numbers, letters first. ie GVK.564 though that example would be early 60's.

Mychael

The photograph suggests BMIHT/Rover Group copyright . . . . maybe Heritage know more about it ? Perhaps you might ask them, Graham ?

The two sets of numbers, as opposed to letters and numbers, is unusual.

The number plate isn't Swedish, as in they were still rhd then; and it isn't Belgian either, which probably eliminates Imperia, who did make the odd rhd prototype. Someone must recognise the country of origin . . . .

I very much doubt it had anything to do with Harringtons - I spent quite a lot of time researching some of their cars in the 1970s when I lived in Brighton, never heard mention of a TR3 'saloon'.

The only vaguely similar thing I've seen, back about 1978 or 79, was a 'GT' TR3A in Market Harborough - bit like a Scimitar GTE in shape, utilising a modified A40 tailgate. Beautifully made, not a diy jobbie, and originally registered to Standard Triumph in 1959. However, the story was that it had been a ST company car sold to an employee, and modified by him personally c1961-62 and inspired by the Ferrari 'breadvan' - not a factory prototype of any sort.

Cheers,

Alec

I have read about these two cars before, but at the moment can't remember where(having a senior moment!! :mellow: )

I am almost certain that they were built in Australia, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to put me right :unsure:

Cheers

Graeme

Hi there

This car I believe to still be alive and is in New Zealand - TS5512-O. There is an article in our TRansmission magazine of Sept 2008 on this car. Appears to be a NZ creation and it is a TR2. The coupe was designed by a Dunedin optican to suit his family. Conversion carried out by a Dunedin coachbuilder. According to the article it is currently under restoration. If you contact the Register info@trregister.co.nz they may be able give you more info and pictures

Regards

Brian

I believe that there were 2 TR2's in New Zealand converted this way. I know someone who owned one in the 80's in Auckland and it had had the closed bodywork discarded and a standard rear end grafted on as the conversion was not of a very good standard and had not survived very well it was an early long door TR2. The second car appeared on the cover of the NZ TR register mag a few years ago I do not know anything about it but the mag cover is here NZ-TR-Register

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog