My 7V8 has a temperature sensor poked into the top hose of the radiator.  Trouble is that this causes a small leak.  I renewed the jubilee clip, tightened it right up and I thought it had gone away, but no.  How does anyone else prevent this??

Malcolm.

The best way that I have seen is to have a senor fitted to the radiator by a repair co. We used to use a ford sensor positioned about half way down the off side. This costed about £10 + sensor at a couple of quid.

Alternatly a secion of pipe the same diameter as the bottom hose and solder in a sensor as per TRaction last year I think. Unfortunatly I cannot rememer who put in the peice.

Either way this is a much better solution than the bodge in the top hose that always leak

Malcolm

I used some rubber  door and window sealing strip from B & Q that I happened to have left over. You don't want the foam type obviously, this stuff was soft rubber with three triangular ridges on one side, self adhesive on the other. Worked a treat, the ridges compress over the tube without damaging it, and seal perfectly. Much better than the stuff supplied with the sensor. I took the opportunity to move the sensor to the bottom hose at the same time, and have found that it works much better there.

Ray

Merlin Motorsport do an aluminium housing with the sensor fitted, looks very good and they have lots of different sizes.

Lifted the following from their site for you www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk :

Electronic Radiator Fan Controller

Variable Electronic Radiator Fan Controller

** At last ** a truly professional solution to the problem of controlling electric radiator fans on vehicles.

Instant response, Temperature control range of 70'C to 120'C and includes wired in relay and harness. Aluminium housing fits in a radiator hose with jubilee clips.

Aluminium housings to suit the following radiator hose sizes/

1 Inch

25mm

£39.95

1 1/8 inch

28mm

£41.28

1 1/4 inch

32mm

£44.80

1 3/8 inch

35mm