Anybody Know Gerald?

To get maximum exposure of this ****, this thread should be transferred to the Main forum.

Ivor

Imagine if Gerald Blas responds that he can supply every "wanted to buy" part posted on every car club forum.

Whoever they may be, Gerald could potentially have a cash income to rival the world bank.

This looks to be a very smart scam for dudding people with immunity, seeing the police don't seem to bother prosecuting small thefts outside their own juristiction.

It wouldn't even be a crime to collect the cash from Western Union, unless it could be proven that there was never any intent to send the goods.

Viv.

Hi Viv,

if we keep circulating detail on Forums, there's less chance of this sh*t getting away with his scams. Meanwhile, rest assured, the man isn't being ignored. I'm not the only one trying to keep tabs on him and track him down. Sooner or later . . . .

Hi Remo,

perhaps you could forward information to Western Union in Holland - every little bit of information helps to shut down this guy's options.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Viv,

if we keep circulating detail on Forums, there's less chance of this sh*t getting away with his scams. Meanwhile, rest assured, the man isn't being ignored. I'm not the only one trying to keep tabs on him and track him down. Sooner or later . . . .

Hi Remo,

perhaps you could forward information to Western Union in Holland - every little bit of information helps to shut down this guy's options.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec, WESTERN UNION DOESN'T SHIV A GIT. They flat-ass told me to give the police their 800 phone number, and that they would "fully cooperate" with the investigation and provide all information that they have. That is ALL they will do. The information they can provide is date wired, amount wired, date/time picked up at their UK office. Remember, NO CRIME WAS COMMITTED IN ENGLAND, so the British police cannot get involved. The only way this guy could be caught would be for Alec or a friend to stake out a WU office, catch him, take him to a forest and turn him into a soprano. Not very likely.

Although, his following this forum amazes me in that he is still using the same name.

The only way this guy could be caught would be for Alec or a friend to stake out a WU office, catch him, take him to a forest and turn him into a soprano. Not very likely.

Although, his following this forum amazes me in that he is still using the same name.

Volunteers for Sheriff Alec's posse form an orderly queue!

He is still using the same name because he knows he's untouchable. Anyway, who's to know if he isn't using other names as well? Caveat emptor - regardless of nom de plume wink.gif

Hi Brian,

thanks, but a posse I don't need - if the man can be tracked down, my pet gorilla and I can deal with him.

Ideally we catch him in a sting, collecting his ill-gotten . . . it's been done before.

Whether or not he's committed an offence in the UK is open to interpretation, different police forces have differing attitudes to cyber crime.

Those who contribute to other forums, circulate the man's name and modus operandi - warn other folks !

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Tr Friends,

Menno,I guess that he respond to my ad on the forum (wanted parts), This guy is also on other forums. If you type his name into google you'll find more!

Alec I'll give Western union a call on monday and ask them what they can do!

Meantime we should warn our other forum users about this....

Good evening

Having browsed dear Gerald on Google, I noted a post from Gerald Blass in September '09 on www.racecar.com the IP address 196.1.177.6 was captured as the origin of said post.

The above may or may not be relevant, perhaps Webby has some way of blocking this from the forum?

Kind regards

Andrew

Hello

After checking the IP-address Andrew found, this is maintained by MNT-NITEL (according to www.ripe.net) and MNT-NITEL is situated in Nigeria. I can here a loud warning bell ringing.

Kind regards

Gunnar

Edited by TS528L

Hello

After checking the IP-address Andrew found, this is maintained by MNT-NITEL (according to www.ripe.net) and MNT-NITEL is situated in Nigeria. I can here a loud warinig bell ringing.

Kind regards

Gunnar

So presumably the email activity is carried out in Nigeria whilst the cash is WU'd to UK - ah the joys of the internet!

I guess its like anything else nowadays - take care but in the end you have to keep a sense of perspective if you are totally risk averse you can end up with zero quality of life!

Rgds Ian

Gerald or Geraldine, if a gorilla (and his Rottie) catches up with the blighter then quality of life will be a thing of the past. Fractures aren't subject to gender, and the Rottie bites whatever he's told to. What goes around etc etc. Scum like 'Gerald' put themselves outside the law.

Cheers,

Alec

Gerald or Geraldine, if a gorilla (and his Rottie) catches up with the blighter then quality of life will be a thing of the past. Fractures aren't subject to gender, and the Rottie bites whatever he's told to. What goes around etc etc. Scum like 'Gerald' put themselves outside the law.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec

With all the ex colonial connections coming up on this thread it sounds like developing into another episode of Rourke's Drift, maybe a Gorilla, Rottie and a contingent of the Warwickshire Regiment of Foot may come in handy!

uncle :D

Cheers,

Alec

I would agree with the sentiment that anything that spoils Gerald's quality of life is a good thing but the point I was making, probably badly, is that while I wouldn't think of WU'ing money to anyone - ever, I have in the past done a deal with members of this forum and sent them a cheque and in due course the goods have arrived. In reality that is only marginally less risky than the way George was caught out. Similarly I have been sent and myself sent stuff on the basis of pay when it arrives, that way there are no issues about how much postage to pay.

For the relatively small amounts involved in these deals, I am happy to accept the risk of assuming that the vast majority of people on this forum are honest. Without this trust the buy and sell forum would struggle - particularly if you live off the beaten track as we do.

Rgds Ian

Hi Folks,

what is required (if we were going to go over the top on this one) is a bona fide middle man who receives both the item and the money on behalf of both parties (and then does a runner :lol::lol: before anybody else says it) and then forwards on the two halves.

That way you do not need to worry or trust the other party :angry::angry:

However, clearly, this is only a pipe dream :):huh::rolleyes: and would never work - but what a great business opportunity. ;)

Roger

Hi Folks,

what is required (if we were going to go over the top on this one) is a bona fide middle man who receives both the item and the money on behalf of both parties (and then does a runner :lol::lol: before anybody else says it) and then forwards on the two halves.

That way you do not need to worry or trust the other party :angry::angry:

However, clearly, this is only a pipe dream :):huh::rolleyes: and would never work - but what a great business opportunity. ;)

Roger

This already exists - it's called an escrow agreement. An independent company holds the money until the goods arrive then releases it to the seller when the buyer is satisfied that the goods are as described. E-bay does such a service via an escrow company. I don't know what it costs, but is a secure method for large amounts.

Regards, Derek.

Escrow agreements can be useful, but an unscrupulous buyer can manipulate them with claims of unsatisfactory product, defects, misdescription etc etc - which can result in lengthy and costly legal wrangles. I've had that routine years ago in a business situation, never again !!

There is very rarely a problematical situation crops up with genuine enthusiasts, and most Forum users are just that. It's the old caveat emptor bit - someone emailing from out of the wide blue yonder is very different from a regular Forum user who you 'know' as a contributor. This "Gerald Blas" character is a bit of a one-off in my experience, he's only going to get a result when the chap seeking a part has a momentary lapse of common sense, and overlooks the normal precautions. We can all do that, especially when desperate for a part - just don't let your heart rule your head, there's nothing wrong with inspecting a gift horse's teeth.

Cheers,

Alec