Fitting ring gear on flywheel

Hello,

to-day I cannot succeed to fit a shrink-on ring gear to the flywheel using the 3 G-clamps method recommended in the service guide.

I heat the ring in an oven at 120°c half an hour and put the flywheel for one hour in the freezer, before to fit the ring I spray some W40 on the flywheel side to ease the process but it was not possible to insert the ring, I retry the full process 3 times, but unsuccessfully.

Now I have some doubt with this method, did someone who successfully fit the ring using this or another way can give me some tips.

Thanks.

Guy Notte

It was over 20 years ago that I replaced the starter ring on the flywheel in my 1958 TR3A. There are two types. One ring gear is shrunk fit onto the flywheel as you tried. My TR3A is a very early TR so it has the long "bullet nose" starter where the small pinion gear flys out towards the rear of the TR. I had no problems chilling the flywheel and heating up the ring gear to assemble replacement ring gear. It was not a new one. It came off a scrapped TR3A but was in better condition than my original ring gear. So the diameters were "original" and it went on as expecxted.

Guy - Is your ring gear a recently machined (new) one ? If so, it may have the wrong ID and/or was machined incorrectly or it may have been inspected to a wrong specification tolerance.

If the ring gear you are trying to put on is a bolt-on ring gear, it is the type used on later TR3As and later TRs as well. For these ring gears, it takes the later starter which does not have the "bullet nose" and the chamfer on the gear teeth on this ring gear face towards the rear of the TR because the later (shorter) starter pulls the small pinion gear towards the front of the TR when starting..

Thanks Rhodri and Don,

I heated the ring at 220°C and at the second try it was succesfull.

Using the G-clamp method is really tricky as when you hammer the ring the clamp become loose and goes away and when you introduce the ring it has tendancy to go fully down on one side that make it impossible to introduce the opposite side, so at my last try I fitted a spacer to keep the ring as much parrallel to the flywheel as possible then I maintained the ring with a L shaped iron bar to stabilize the G-clamps when hammering.

Don, my ring is a NOS that I bought in the US and it is probably more difficult to insert than a used one . My car is near of yours as it is TS24900.

Cheers, Guy