Seized engine !!!!!!!!!

Not really, the problem is not only getting a spanner over the bolt head but it is also turning it. with the current location of the piston the con-rod shell restricts the movement of the spanner.

I am hoping that after letting the penetrating fliud sit for a while might loosen the piston up and then a good thumping from above will shift it.

I am thinking at worst I have scrap pistions/rings but can salvage the con-rods. Is it possible to drill out near the edge of the piston to provide the pistons with some give when I try to shift them?

Simon,

try local, repeated heating/cooling of the alloy piston crowns, interspersed with soaking with copious amounts of release oil, this should free up the piston rings in the groves & make it easier for the pistons to move in the rusted bores. If that don’t work, support the block at each corner on some stout pieces of stout 4” x 4” (put a towel under the crank) & then get brutal & knock F**k out of the pistons (in turn) until they either move or break up. You have nothing to loose; they have to come out if you want to have the basis of a rebuild! I would be very wary of applying local heat to the block as it will cause unequal expansion & could result in thermal shock, cracking the block

Richard

I will try the heating and cooling of the pistons this weekend and if all else fails I am going to resort to beating the pistons into submission. My only concern with this is that if the piston refuses to move the repeated blows could distort the piston and therefore add to the problem of their removal. I hope the heating/cooling penetrating fluid frees them up sufficiently.

Simon

I believe a succession of sharp raps directly on the pistons using a brass or steel drift with a steel hammer will give a better result than a few tremendous blows with an absorbent medium like wood or plastic ( now that the pistons have been written off here ). :)
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to update the curious ones out there here is the next installment........

That's the extent of the work over the last 10 days. I took a week off work last week and went to Florida. I am now back and suitably refreshed (80+ degs in the shade) and will start back on trying to get the pistons out.

I will add to this post later with some good news.

Simon

When it was the choice of work, trying to get those stubborn pistons out and sub-zero temperatures or relaxation, sunny and hot and no stress, there was only going to be one winner.

My first day down in Florida I saw a white TR6 being driven around. Only problem was the top was up and it was 75deg !!!! These people who live in Florida all the time do not know how good they have it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update the curious one's out there and those that suggested many good ideas to help resolve this issue.

I tried most off the suggestions that where put forward and sadly had to say that none of them worked. I resisted the temptation to continually beat the pistons as this did not seem to get anywhere.

It is now in the hands of the professionals, I will wait to see how they get on. But at the price he told me for the disassembly I wish I had done this sooner as it would have saved many a frustrating evening.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought that I would update the curious ones out there regarding my engine.

I recieved word last week that the block was all stripped down and that it thad been cleaned up. From what I was originally told when I dropped it off 'it should only take and hour to get the pistons out, etc.' It actually took four hours to completely remove the pistons, camshafts and followers.

I went to see it as the cam follower bores were in question. Fortunately these were okay and do not require any work. They are currently boring out +20 thou and then will inspect the bores to see it they are okay.

Thanks for all the adviced that I did recieve regarding this problem, I tried them all but nothing seemed to work for me. I guess some people out here in the US do not value the triumph marque as much as the British, because if they did they would not have took the head off and left if uncovered to get into this condition in the first place???

Simon