TR7 "Special Edition?"

My TR7 convertible is currently sprayed black and has Triumph trimmings which are silver and say "Special edition".

I think  black TR7 convertables were badged as the "Spider" and coloured balck, made in Solihull from april to august 80. Their chassi numbers seem to have been 400 000.

My chassi No is 208 692. And registered march 80.

Anyone any ideas how this relates to the Spiders? (Clearly there's no way of knowing if it was originally Black - or is there?)

WWWDINER

Aside from promotional vehicles (ie the 'coca cola' cars) I believe all bona-fide limited editions were sprayed black... generally TR7's never came in black aside from the specials.

This is not the case in all markets as evidenced by the federal 'Victory' edition.

The spider was a late model DHC and came with red decals - to my knowledge the silver decals were not applied to this editon but maybe someone knows different?

As Trisha says, there were a number of black special edition cars.  The UK premium (FHC only), the red decal USA spider DHC and the silver decal European special edition DHC.

Presumably your car is a UK spec DHC?  Then it is not one of the above.  There are is a way to determine whether it was always back.  A heritage certificate from Gaydon will give the original colour.  If you give me the full VIN and the registration no I can check the TR Register 7/8 records when I get back home (Thursday eve).

If you do get a certificate you'll have to let us know what it says.

Malcolm.

Incidentally if anyone wants Limited Edition restoration project there's one advertised on my site over at TriumphTR7.com.

It is a none runner (head gasket), the body work is tatty and there's a tear in the sunroof.  Going by the plate it's a Premium Edition - though I'll verify this tonight.  The guy is 'open to offers'.

The clue here is that there were very few normal (i.e. not special editions) black TR7's built - look at the TR7 TR8 colour charts on the www.tr7-tr8.com web site, hardly any black cars! - really only the Spider and Euro edition plus the special FHC cars. Chances are it may have been painted black at a later date and stripes added therefore is not a factory special edition - could be a dealer special edition - It is RHD isn't it? And has always been? If not there are quite a few specials that went out for the American market - possibly a dealer got hold of one of the stripe kits and applied it? The Anniversary TR7 has a small plaque on the dash and was around at the time this car was - the Anniversary cars run round about the 200800 mark onwards to the end ish of 1980. Some of the Anniversary cars were black with silver stripes but only a hand full most were the normal colours.

Regards

Richard

:D Thanks for the many replies, I followed Richard's link and used the paint and trim No's from the car (didn't know they were there).

It seems that the Paint was Silver and the Interior Blue check originally.

Thanks again for the help and interest.

Ian