Mechanical Petrol Pump Oil Seal

The Roadster Factory's (US) rebuild kit includes the oil seal. However, I could not figure out how to disassemble the bottom part of the pump, so I was unable to replace the seal. Does anyone have advice on how to do it? I have an oil leak in the vicinity, and that could be the cause. The circlips on the ends of the shaft do not seem removable, and I was afraid of damaging them. Has anyone done this?

Hi,

the oil seal is located at the bottom end of the diaphragm axle, it is located under a metal washer that is crimped by 3 recesses in the aluminium bottom center, with a small screwdriver and hammer, carrefully remove the recesses and that will free the washer followed by the seal

Guy

Thanks, Guy, I'll try that. How do I reinstall the new seal and the washer ;) ?

As they used to say in the Haynes manual "refitting is the reverse of dismantling" ;):lol:

Stuart.

Thanks, Guy, I'll try that. How do I reinstall the new seal and the washer ;) ?

The washer is held in by "staking". A technique as old as the hills and this is how it was done originally. Once the seal is into position carefully use a small hammer and cold chisel / punch or similar (I hesitate to say screwdriver 'cos that's not professional) to distort a small bit of the edge of the housing and hold the washer into position. With care you can do just as neat a job as the originals. Pick a point mid way between the original ones. Obviously you can only do this so many times before you use up all the space round the rim so don't go mad. Take care that the washer stays flat in position and also that you do just "pop" the rim and not try to bend too much or it will just crack up. Ideally have a bit of a practice hitting something that does not matter at first!

Nick

The words "or it will just crack up" make me very, very nervous <_< . I think I'll find a spare AC fuel pump before I try it, or else farm it out to an expert. Reminds me of the story of the refrigerator repairman who repaired a fridge by tapping a hammer on its back, and handed the customer a bill for $100. When the customer complained, the repairman itemized the bill: " Repairing fridge by tapping with a hammer: $5. Knowing where to tap: $95"

This is all very interesting, but I getting back to the original question I still don't have a clue where to get the oil seal and retaining washer. Any pointers much appreciated

Ha yes! This makes two of us at least. There have been several threads on this subject but never have I seen a UK supply source, other than lucky at autojumbles. I ended up using the best second hand one I could find.

Nick

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but you can order the rebuild kit with the oil seal from TRF in the US. They're currently on sale for $31.91 at http://www.zeni.net/trf/miniTR4/11.php. You'd have to reuse the washer, since it's not included in the kit.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but you can order the rebuild kit with the oil seal from TRF in the US. They're currently on sale for $31.91 at http://www.zeni.net/trf/miniTR4/11.php. You'd have to reuse the washer, since it's not included in the kit.

Thanks Smokey, seems they're available (but only as part of an expensive kit) in Australia and US, but surely there must be a UK supplier out there somewhere?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thank you to Andrew who pm me the coordinates of David who sales the oils seal fuel pump in the UK.

He kindly sent me the correct seal in Belgium, but I don't know how many remains as he told me that someone bought him a full box.

Do not use email to contact him as he has currently some problems with his computer.

Here is the Phone/address of David

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carljdavies/Bearing%20Contacts.htm

Bye, Guy Notte