moving to Australia

Hi all,

I'm moving back to Oz (From NZ) in a few months and planning to take my TR6. I contacted customs and it seems very easy - almost too easy - to bring it into Oz (It was previously registered over there in both NSW and Queensland). My question to anyone that has brought a 35+ year old car into Oz, am I missing something here? When I first brought the car into NZ, it was headache after headache - paperwork, compliancing, engineering reports for mods - even if it made the car more safe. It seems almost too straightforward to take it back to Queensland. Any thoughts to save going through that all again for the return journey? I can't afford to lose anymore hair.

cheers

Duncan

Hi all,

I'm moving back to Oz (From NZ) in a few months and planning to take my TR6. I contacted customs and it seems very easy - almost too easy - to bring it into Oz (It was previously registered over there in both NSW and Queensland). My question to anyone that has brought a 35+ year old car into Oz, am I missing something here? When I first brought the car into NZ, it was headache after headache - paperwork, compliancing, engineering reports for mods - even if it made the car more safe. It seems almost too straightforward to take it back to Queensland. Any thoughts to save going through that all again for the return journey? I can't afford to lose anymore hair.

cheers

Duncan

I have imported several old Triumph to Australia and basically if it is:

1) Registered to you

2)Over 30 years old

3)Available (when new) in Oz

you will only have to do some basic paperwork and get the car over the "pits" which is basically a MOT.

Sensible modifications should not cause any issues. Make sure the chassis and engine number on the log book match which I'm sure they do... The inspectors will see the car for what it is , the bulk of their work is making sure young kids are not driving unsafe V8's and turbo'd, lowered Jap stuff. My Herald had overdrive, Twin Dellorto's and GT6 brakes , suspension.. no problems at all.

Also make sure your car is Spotless or some idiot will demand it to be steam cleaned removing any trace of dirt and often paint and underseal :angry::angry:

The most important document is a Certificate of Import

The Import Permit needs to be obtained from the DoTaRS in Canberra.

Vehicle Safety Standards

GPO Box 594

Canberra ACT 2602

Ph: 00612 62747506

Fx: 00612 62746013

Email: Vimports@dotars.gov.au

As long as the importing criteria is met, approval is normally a formality and is obtained by sending the Import Approval form and A$50 (cheque/credit card) to Australia with copies of:-

•car,

•ownership documents,

•and passport documents.

Approval normally takes about 4-6 weeks.

An Import Approval is needed in order to gain customs clearance at your vehicles point of entry to Australia. It is an offense to import a vehicle without an import approval so be sure to obtain one or when your vehicle arrives in Australia you may be open to prosecution alongside significant storage costs until an Import Approval is issued.

Importation takes place when a vehicle has landed within the port of intended discharge and not once the vehicle clears customs control. If the import application is not approved, you will have to either export the vehicle or have it destroyed at your own expense. Destruction will need to take place under Customs supervision.

Vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1989 may be imported without restriction

Hope this helps

Edited by Mk1PI

Another thing to enquire about from the state government site in the state where you are moving to, is whether you are going to be charged stamp duty for your first registration. When I brought my 250 Merc from the UK many years ago the so&sos charged me about 700 bucks for the first Oz registration.

In the ACT a first registration from elswhere, including interstate, requires an 'over the pits' inspection. They are rather fussy over oil leaks and rust holes in spots that have nothing to do with safety.