Stainless Exhausts

Guest BLBoy

Hello All.

I have a TR7 which is original. At some point I intend replacing the exhaust. I'm wondering is it worth fitting a sports ex, do they make the car too loud, or does it make it sound like a nice sporty tone? I ask this because I fitted one to my GT6 and its sounded good but on longish jouneys it may get a bit intrusive. I also like keeping things original. Anyway need to save first. What does anyone else think

Hi BLboy

I got my stainless manifold and exhaust from S+S. In conjunction with K+N filters and BAL needles in the carbs it has made a useful improvement in response and midrange without being excessively loud on a journey (it's a sports system). One thing though, it was most definately not a simple bolt on job, requiring much fettling with a torch and angle grinder to get it to fit! To be fair, I did give the lads at S+S a ring to report my problems, they were surprised to hear about the poor fit, not having received any previous complaints. I must state I have done a fair amount of business with S+S, and this is the only time I've had anything but praise for their products - and even the exhaust works well now it's sorted!

BLboy.  As regards standard 2L sevens.  If you are going to fit a performance exhaust I'd suggest tubular manifolds and the K&Ns and needles suggested above.  It's also worth fitting an electronic ignition.  These are all decent mods which will bring a performance & reliability improvement without breaking the bank or seriously scrificing originallity.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

Thanks, my intention is to go for the whole exhaust (not sure who's as there is quite a few, all different ££) +k&n's. Regarding electronic ign, is the Newtronic set worth it? I'm happy with the car the way it is, just think the car should sound better than it does!!

Re electronic ignition, mine is an Aldon Ignitor - fits neatly under the dizzy cap, so's youo can't see it. I also fitted an Aldon Flamethrower coil - chrome finish, but doesn't look too flash.

While I' m here, don't forget to update us on the outcome of your rear screen cleaning experiment - I may need it myself one day!!! (Main forum)

Mike

Ditto the replies above.... I went for the full sports stainless system with tubular manifold, and the carb needles.  The sound it makes is a nice burble (nothing like a v8 I might add!!) and is definitely not excessive on the long journeys.  

Since fitting this system (about 3 years ago now) I have since added an Electronic Ignition - which is the Aldon Ignitor, not fitted the Flamethrower coil though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BLBoy

I think I may purchase an Aldon ignitor soon before I get the carbs balanced/engine tuned. Regarding the exhaust I think I'll wait, better to enjoy the car rather than spend and have the car off road. Sounds like S&S is the best bet?

Thanks