"Rationalised" Gearbox"??????????????????????

Hello Folks,

OK, I'll bite. What is a rationalized gearbox? I received my BMIHT certificate the other day. Everything was fine, until I got to rationalised gearbox. Please tell me what it means.

I look forward to hearing from you,

George

P.S. In America, we have two definitions for "rationalize;"

1. to free (a mathematical expression) from irrational parts.

2. to bring into accord with reason, or cause something to seem reasonable:

a. to substitute a natural for a supernatural explanation

b. to attribute one's actions to rational and creditable motives without analysis of true motives.

In these contexts, I MUST assume that my transmission is reasonable, as I do NOT have funding for a psychiatric evaluation of my transmission and its motives.

George - The correct answer is 2, a, and b. All will fit. Let me explain.

The first TR3Bs that were build were different than the later TR3Bs. The earlier ones had the non-synchromesh gearboxes left over in the parts bin - now that the TR3As were no longer being built.

Later when S-T ran out of these gearboxes, the TR4 was being produced and they still had about 3000 TR3Bs to be completed. So they had to rationalize that it would be better to ship these later TR3Bs with TR4 gearboxs rather than ship them with no gearbox. That was their "rationalization" of their dilema.

2. "The decision to use the all synchromesh gearbox made it sound reasonable."

a. "The decision to substitute a natural gearbox for a supernatural one (which no longer existed in the stock room) was very logical."

b. "The action seems to have had credible motives as it would be better to ship the later TR3Bs with the all synchromesh gearboxes rater than leave a big gaping hole in the floor of these later TR3Bs."

Hence the term "rationalized" gearboxes.

Now you know the rest of the story !

Don, I BOW to your expertise!!

Thanks.

God knows I did not want to walk into our local asylum and ask them to interview my transmission. They would not have let me go home.

Rationalised transmission...I bet I wake up in the middle of the night screaming...

Hi George,

don't panic, there are worse things to have nightmares about.

The other night I was in Sainsbury's (supermarket) at the self service check out and the bloody machine would not play ball. :angry:

In the end I stood away from the checking apparatus and screemed 'HELPPPPPPP'. :o

Next thing I get a nudge in the ribs from the missus asking me to pipe down as I'm keeping her awake. :(

It all seemed so real :blink:

Roger