Circular floorpan holes

Can anyone help.

My TR7 has the two circular holes in the floor pan open. I have the circular plates and mastic to cover them and I assume the plates fit from the top, rather than from under the car.

(My big red BL manual dosen't mention them, as far as I can see).

Also, what are the holes for?

Guest trminator

Dunno what they were used for...but I can tell you this much.  There is no way localised pressure in the areas they are found would support the weight of a TR7 unless the hole was just used to locate the centre of a board the shape of the floor pan with a wide surface area that was part of the four post rig.

-Kyle.

By the way, I just recently found out from a very knowledgeable TR7 owner who often visits this forum what the little metal loops are below where the trailing arm meets the mounting points.  Any thought lads?

By the way, I just recently found out from a very knowledgeable TR7 owner who often visits this forum what the little metal loops are below where the trailing arm meets the mounting points.  Any thought lads?

I always thought these were for the Jack to locate into then fit onto the stupid pin.

Are you sure? These look a bit flimsy to strap a car down with when the axle is right next to it. Also the size of the strap that would fit into the the brkt is awfully thin to hold the weight of a car shifting about in transit. ???
Guest stagman

You don't expect them to push the boat out do you and use straps that would actually do something. If those straps went through bigger holes then the extra money spent on them would probably be saved somewhere else on the Stag production line.   :D

British leyland.

Don't ya just love all there idiosyncrasies

Guest trminator

They woudn't have to be too strong.  Remember gravity and the friction caused by four lumps of rubber are on your side.

The back axle has brake pipes running along the top edge which would prevent you strapping the car down using it.

-Kyle.

You would think that all they really needed to use were a couple of the very substantial and easy to access towing eyes that were fitted front and rear. Hooks on the end of straps could be poped through and the straps tightened up - nice and easy.

Thats what ive used when trailering TR7s.

Maybe they didnt trust their own spot welding  :)

which reminds me...... I used to work with a guy who served his time as a spark in speke and he reckoned that the US bound TR7's were spotted (welded - not the train sense) quite a bit more than the rest of the world cars. Dunno how true this is - anyone?