Vredestein Sprint+ or Sprint Classic

Hello All,

I am at that stage where I am to purchase "set of new shoes" for my TR3a. It will be fitted with the standard steel wheels, which will be sand blasted and painted first.

I have two questions:

Are inner tubes a necessity on these rims ?

I am thinking of buying the Vredestein Sprint Classic tires. The Sprint+ seems good (and much cheaper) alternative. Is there anyone who is able to comment on the both tires? Preferebly from experience of course.... ;-)

Cheers, Frank

Frank

With standard TR2-3A steel wheels I believe that you will require inner tubes as the rims are not designed for tubeless tyres and even if you manage to get a seal there is a risk of sudden deflation should the seal on the rim break

Regards

Alan

Hi Frank,

I've been looking at tires, too. My Michelin Xz's have plenty of tread but are about 10 years old. I had them retubed and balanced for this year's service, but would feel better about new rubber. I wish Vredestein had a dealer around here so that I could compare the + vs. the Classic. From the pictures, I prefer the look of the Classic with its sidewall grooving.

A TR 3A owning, tire dealer friend has Continental CH 95's on his - 175/65/15 - and has put 30k happy miles on them. The trouble is they are no longer available here.

I've grown accustomed to the way the Michelin with its 26.6" overall diameter fills the wheelwell and I wonder whether the Vredestein with its smaller 26.2" OD would be noticeable. Michelins are twice as expensive as Vredesteins, so I'm leaning towards the Classic.

Bob Brennan

S. Freeport, ME

My car has the Sprint+, size 165 x 15. In fact, my Saab 96 has them too. I'm really happy with these tyres. The Classic looks great (period style) and give the fact that Vredestein aims at the classic car scene. The big difference (apart from the pattern) is the fact that the Sprint+'s tyre walls are a little stiffer than the Classics. In other words, the Classic tends to be a little more comfortable and when cornering, the feeling should be a little different.

Most people I know overhere in Holland (and Vredestein is a Dutch company) tend to use the Sprint+, some use the Classic as a period gimmick, and those who have money to spare use Michelins X-type... And Vredestein produces a M&S tyre for classics as well, for those who are aiming to participate in the Winter Trial or the Rally de Monte Carlo for Classics.

Mind you (and I've written this before!), back in the 70s and 80s, Vredestein wasn't the top of the range. Back then it was Michelin. I remember the days that I was in the army and all I was able to afford for my 1978 Honda Civic were Vredestein Sprint+ tyres. The Classics (back then known as the 'Sprint') was considered an oldfashioned tyre, even less desirable than the Sprint+

As said, Vredestein produces Mud and Snow tyres. Not only for classics. Nowadays they produce very high quality M&S tyres for modern cars too. In fact, the German 'Auto, Motor und Sport' magazine have choosen (after very serious testing!) the Vredestein M&S tyres to be the best. 4 years in a row.

Menno

We fitted Sprint + to Lynda's TR4A earlier this year and they are excellent (although I don't drive her car as hard as my TR3A). As the car has wire wheels I put new tubes in as they were about 10 years old, although still in excellent condition. If you fit tubes, use only Michelins. I have heard many horror stories about other makes.

I'm not sure about the necessity to fit tubes with steel wheels. I never have, and in fact some tyre manufacturers specifically say to not fit tubes in some of their tubeless tyres. Whatever you do, check with both the supplier and manufacturer first. There is a lot of misinformation out there, not least amongst some sections of the tyre fitting trade not accustomed to classic cars.

Edited by BrianC

Before I put Vredesteins on my TR's wire wheels I contacted Vredestein. And they told me (emailed me) that there's no problem fitting tubes inside the Vredestein Sprint+ tyres.

What's more, Vredestein are 'first choice' for a lot of classic car owners. A lot of them drive cars with w/wheels. I've never heard stories of exploding tubes inside Sprint+ tyres.

Menno

Guest colinTR2

Frank

When you come to have these tyres fitted you (or the fitter) will almost certainly find that new tube valve stems are too small for the valve hole in the steel wheels. These, when made, were for the old Imperial size. New tubes have a smaller metric size hole. A small plastic ferrule has to be obtained to fill the hole out. These are readily available in UK.

I have recently re-shod my TR2 with Vredestein Sprint +, they were a fantastic deal via the Web. I am still getting the hang of the very different handling, although with some care because of the original axle.

cheers

Colin

Frank

When you come to have these tyres fitted you (or the fitter) will almost certainly find that new tube valve stems are too small for the valve hole in the steel wheels. These, when made, were for the old Imperial size. New tubes have a smaller metric size hole. A small plastic ferrule has to be obtained to fill the hole out. These are readily available in UK.

I have recently re-shod my TR2 with Vredestein Sprint +, they were a fantastic deal via the Web. I am still getting the hang of the very different handling, although with some care because of the original axle.

cheers

Colin

Colin, Nice to here good things about these tyres as I am poised to buy some, where was the great deal from,

Thanks Dave

Colin, Nice to here good things about these tyres as I am poised to buy some, where was the great deal from,

Thanks Dave

I bought mine from Mytres (http://www.mytyres.co.uk) in April - 5 x 165/80 R15 86S @£224 including delivery.

Bought the inner tubes locally (Lincoln's in Stevenage) - 5 Michelins @ £71.88.

Fitted and balanced on wire wheels by Herts Mobile Tyres @ £10 a wheel.

Since the start of this topic, I managed to visit a classic car garage / tire centre in the eastern part of The Netherlands Classic Jaap (Should be translated into 'Classic Jake') Apart from the funny name, the business is very professional. Just click on 'showroom' and 'op de brug'! Jaap started his business importing classic Citroen DS'es into Holland, but he has opened the windows and there are some real gems in his workshop: prewar 6 cilinder Talbot with shorrocks supercharger..., pre war Stutz and they were even working on a Bugatti T35.

Anyway, I transferred this topic to 'the real thing': I asked the guys at the tire centre department about the inner tubes and balancing wire wheels. They told me that inner tubes inside Vredestein is not a problem and that the balance w/wheels with an 'tire scooter' an on car finish balancer. On the Talbot were small pieces of lead wrapped around the spokes! At the time I visited the tire centre, there was a Jag E type in the shop, undergoing a full balancing process. I must say, I was impressed!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij
Guest colinTR2

Dave

Try camskill.co.uk, they are in Cumberland but that is not relevant. Tyres were £39 each which included delivery and VAT. Fitting same as Brian, £10 per wheel. So. just below £200 the set of 4.

cheers

Colin

I will second Camskill, I got them to deliver to the fitting garage to save me having to transport the tyres there myself. I ordered before lunch and had them fitted the following lunchtime.

Rod

I will second Camskill, I got them to deliver to the fitting garage to save me having to transport the tyres there myself. I ordered before lunch and had them fitted the following lunchtime.

Rod

Thanks for additional info, and delivery to the fitting shop is the way to go,

All the best Dave

I have now driven over 19,000 miles with the four new Vredestein Classic Sprint + (165 R 15 86S - good for 180 km/hr) on my 1958 TR3A since August 2004 and the tread depth still looks like when they were new. I have steel wheels with no tubes. I have had no issues with them and was really very surprised (pleased) with the grip they provide on nice curvey roads.

• 10 months later...

i hesitate to resurrect the tyre subject again, but i've been thinking about changing my 6 year old sprint+ tyres for new, and can't seem to find the sprint+'s anymore.

the sprint classics are available, at around £50 for 155's and £70 for 165's (at mytyres.co.uk)

has anybody bought sprint+ tyres recently?

cheers,

alan

just checked my tyres again, and they are labelled "sprint classics" but are only "S" rated as opposed to the current sprint classics which are "H" rated.

i'm sure mine were the cheaper option of 2 tyres at the time, and i assumed the cheaper ones were the "sprint+ ones, but maybe my memory has let me down (not for the first time).

alan

hi menno, thanks for that, it's cleared up some of my confusion.

it seems they still make sprint+ tyres, only in 165 r15 86s and they are available from camskills over here at £42.70 + delivery

sprint classics are available in 155 sr15 82s (i have these fitted at the moment, now 6 years old) camskills £63 + delivery, mytyres £49.20 inc delivery.

sprint classics in 165 hr15 86h are camskills £120 + delivery, mytyres £70.50.

i now have to decide whether to go for the sprint classics 155's which i have been happy with up to now, or the 165's. i think the 155's look right on my 2, but i know most people go for the 165's is there a lot of difference do you think?

i'm always a bit wary of too much strain on my poor lockheed rear axle bearings, with the (slightly) bigger tyres.

cheers,

alan

hi menno, thanks for that, it's cleared up some of my confusion.

it seems they still make sprint+ tyres, only in 165 r15 86s and they are available from camskills over here at £42.70 + delivery

sprint classics are available in 155 sr15 82s (i have these fitted at the moment, now 6 years old) camskills £63 + delivery, mytyres £49.20 inc delivery.

sprint classics in 165 hr15 86h are camskills £120 + delivery, mytyres £70.50.

i now have to decide whether to go for the sprint classics 155's which i have been happy with up to now, or the 165's. i think the 155's look right on my 2, but i know most people go for the 165's is there a lot of difference do you think?

i'm always a bit wary of too much strain on my poor lockheed rear axle bearings, with the (slightly) bigger tyres.

cheers,

alan

Assuming that you arent going to be thrashing around too much then the 155`s will suffice as that is closer to original crossply size (and will fit in the spare wheel well easier ;) )

Stuart.