AC Delco Fuel Pump Oil Seal

Does anyone have a source for the the small oil seal in the AC Delco fuel mechanical pump?

None of the repair kits seem to include it, neither Moss nor Rimmer Bros can supply it, and I have not yet been able to find a supplier on line.

As replacement pumps are available presumably someone somewhere must be making the seals for them? :(

Many thanks.

Hi Dave

There's a guy who sells these seals who I only ever see @ the Tatton Park classic Shows, luckily the next one is only 8 days away!

If Cheshire is to far for you to attend, let me know & i'll pick on up on your behalf.

Kind regards

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Three years ago, I was aware that my fuel pump was incapable of self-priming (I had to pressurise the tank to get the fuel into the pump) and that there was a very slight weeping of fuel from the diaphragm joint. I fitted a replacement diaphragm and seals from a Moss kit. Since then, the pump was immediately able to prime itself and there's been no sign of any fuel weeping from that joint.

Ian Cornish

Now all I will have to work out is how to stop fuel from seeping out around the diaphragm. Any suggestions?

I have had this problem on my TR3A. The pump was stripped, cleaned and reassembled with all original parts when the car was rebuilt and was fine for the first 5000 miles. Then we started getting fuel pooling on the top cover. After ruling out the pipe union, we slackened off and retightened the six screws in the correct sequence and all was fine for about 200 miles, then the same thing happened. Repeated the exercise and once again after a few trips the problem reappeared.

By now I was suspecting a porous casting, but also had a feeling the fuel was actually creeping up the screw thread, so as a last resort, I Loctited them and so far have covered about 600 miles without problems. Meanwhile, I'm planning to get a couple of overhaul kits and rebuilding a couple of spare pumps to carry one in each car on longer excursions - just in case. :unsure:

Edited by BrianC
Does anyone have a source for the the small oil seal in the AC Delco fuel mechanical pump?

None of the repair kits seem to include it, neither Moss nor Rimmer Bros can supply it, and I have not yet been able to find a supplier on line.

As replacement pumps are available presumably someone somewhere must be making the seals for them? :(

Many thanks.

I see you've been sorted out for a seal but just as an aside and for information for others. We have a pump kit over here supplied by Goss. Not sure if it's available in other countries or not but is a far superior kit to some of the other common brands you might see, it includes the oil seal gasket.. The Moss kits did not, at least not when I last bought one.

Plus the pump diaphragm does not leak.

Mychael

The diaphragm is from a Moss kit and was fitted about 150 miles ago. One of the screws is missing its spring washer so that may be contributing. I was not aware that there was a correct sequence to the screws; is it in the workshop manual? I'll fit a new spring washer and try locktiting them down. Failing that I'll try a Goss kit from Oz.

Thanks all.

I was not aware that there was a correct sequence to the screws; is it in the workshop manual?

I don't know if it's stated in the manual, but I always tighten any cover down starting at a central point on one side (longest if it's not circular like the pump cover) and working opposite and radially outwards (if you can understand that) as in the tightening sequence for cylinder heads. I also avoid tightening them fully on the first round. This avoids distortion and hopefully gives the most even torque (but then I'm not an engineer, so what do I know? :unsure::rolleyes: )

The diaphragm is from a Moss kit and was fitted about 150 miles ago. One of the screws is missing its spring washer so that may be contributing. I was not aware that there was a correct sequence to the screws; is it in the workshop manual? I'll fit a new spring washer and try locktiting them down. Failing that I'll try a Goss kit from Oz.

Thanks all.

I should add that Goss kits are not part of the TR Register of Oz parts. If you want one and cannot locate one let me know and I'll try to get one for you.

Mychael

I should add that Goss kits are not part of the TR Register of Oz parts. If you want one and cannot locate one let me know and I'll try to get one for you.

Mychael

Thanks Mychael, I Googled them and found this site who will ship to the UK.

http://www.noelsautoparts.com.au

The Part Number for the pump kit for 4 cylinder Triumphs is 966VC

Dave

Hi Dave

When you have the pump stripped to it's component parts, check the mating surfaces of the pump casting are square and flat.

Overtightning of the diaphragm screws will raise the soft aluminium material around the screw threads, effectively reducing the compression of the diaphragm at the mid point between the screws.

Hope you fix the leak before the weekend.

Kind regards

Andrew

Hello Dave and Andrew, did you record the name and phone of the guy who sells these seals @ the Tatton Park classic Shows.

I need it too and would like to contact him.

Thanks.

Guy

Hi Guy

You have a PM.

Kind regards

Andrew

Overtightning of the diaphragm screws will raise the soft aluminium material around the screw threads, effectively reducing the compression of the diaphragm at the mid point between the screws.

Ahh, that may be the problem. My approach has been on the bigger hammer principle - to stop the leak I have been tightening them down as far as I dare without stripping the threads.

Thanks again

Dave

Many thanks to Andrew again for sending the seal, the pump is now fully refurbished and the car saw some decent roads over the weekend. :)

The fuel seepage from around the diapraghm turned out to be due to one of the screws having been overtightened, partially stripping the soft alloy thread of the pump base. A replacement screw with a fractionally larger diameter thread has worked a treat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Thank you to Andrew who pm me the coordinates of David who sales the oils seal fuel pump in the UK.

He kindly sent me the correct seal in Belgium, but I don't know how many remains as he told me that someone bought him a full box.

Do not use email to contact him as he has currently some problems with his computer.

Here is the Phone/address of David

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carljdavies/Bearing%20Contacts.htm

Bye, Guy

• 2 months later...

Thank you to Andrew who pm me the coordinates of David who sales the oils seal fuel pump in the UK.

He kindly sent me the correct seal in Belgium, but I don't know how many remains as he told me that someone bought him a full box.

Do not use email to contact him as he has currently some problems with his computer.

Bye, Guy

Guy, many thanks for the contact.

Just to conclude this thread... Dave does indeed have a number of the original oil seals and retainers (only source left in the UK?). £1 per seal + 50p for the retainer. He also has the original AC rebuild kit which not only includes the diaphragm, valves, rubbers, seals, retainers and gaskets, but both springs, wire gauze filter, link lever, rocker pin and circlips - all for £15.

He's a very helpful ex-Army bloke. He sends you the stuff in advance and you send him a cheque - not many people do business like that these days!

Contact him by phone seems best - details here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carljdavies/Bearing2.htm As you'll see he supplies other useful stuff as well.

• 11 years later...

I bought an overhaul kit from someone in Australia and it included this seal. If you search the forum you should be able to find the name. 

Rgds Ian

Update:  I've just searched my computer and found I bought the repair kit from Wagga Wagga Spares.  It cost AUS$ 39.40 plus $15.00 shipping in 2009.

Further update:  The repair kit I bought was made by Goss Vehicle Mechatronics (an Australian automotive parts supplier), and is part number 966VC - it is in their current catalogue so I guess it is still available.  Attached is a screen dump from the relevant page from their website.

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 18.56.05.png

Edited by Ian Vincent

Hi all. I have a similar request  I have just fitted a new fuel pump to resolve an oil leak. The new pump has a two piece pressed and riveted steel foot which looks very cam unfriendly. The removed pump had a bronze (or similar material) foot which I would like to refit if I can obtain an oil seal. Can anyone please advise where I could buy one. I could then carry the new one as a spare.

Regards 

Alan

Stev/Alan - there has been some comment in the past that this seal might be available from TRF in America, but I don't know if thats still the case. The only way I'm aware of to get this seal here in the UK is to secure a Dave Davies rebuilt pump, as he has a small stock of these seals which he uses in his own rebuilds - he does not sell them separately.

If you have an original AC Delco pump, then he can restore this for you - if you haven't got his contact details, PM me and I will send them to you. If you don't want to go down this route, then I have some of his rebuilt pumps spare so again PM me 

Cheers Rich