V8 Pulleys out of alignment.

Guest stagman

Guest stagman
Ok all you clever people. My water pump and crank pulleys dont line up. Why is that? The crank pulley sits about half an inch forward of the water pump pulley. This may well have always been like this but its not doing the fan belt any good. Does anyone have any ideas? Its an SD1 water pump.

Stagman,

Have you made sure that the water pump pulley and the crank pulley are from an SD1? Sounds like you might have a range rover crank pulley. Alternatively, have you attached the pulley to the water pump the right way round?

Guest stagman

Hi hodgie.

The water pump pulley is the right way around. If it goes on the other way then its miles out. Im thinking now it must be the crank pulley. All the Stags I have converted to Rover power have used the short nosed pump from the P6 and matching crank pulley and i've never had a problem. I noticed in the Rimmers catalogue that two types of crank pulley are listed. I guess mine has the wrong one. It may have always been like this because I bought the engine in the car complete for my conversion.

i'll head of to the breakers in the morning to rape and pillage a V8 SD1.

I had this on my TR7V8 it was due to haveing a SD1 water pump on a P6 engine I cnange the crank pulley to a SD1 type and it all line up. Mind you I ran it for years and did a hight miles with the pulley out off line with no trouble it only now I stop useing it that I change the pulley so would nnot be over worrey about it

Peter

I think a range pulley have 2 belt on it could be wrong but                

Peter

range rover pump has 2 or 3 pulleys and does not fit with an SD1/TR8 pump. I had to change the full set as the engine I have is out of a RR classic and the water pump pulley is held on with the fan assy, which obviously looks like it sits far too high to even get the bonnet on let alone shut it! Also the timing marks are different on a SD1 pulley so you need the correct pointer to go with the pulley.

The Range Rover timing cover is also different to an SD1 version. The RR one mounts the water pump a lot higher, to help keep the fan out of water when fording a river or whatever.

You do need to get a matching set of either SD1 or MGB V8/Rover P6 bits. This will include the alternator mounts etc as well. The SD1 pulley also typically has 2 pulleys (fan & power steering) but may have a third for air-con. Same with the RR except they are not interchangeable with SD1 as far as i know.

P6 stuff is often favoured because it is shortest, approx 2" shorter than SD1, however the SD1 stuff is easier to find. However you will need to mod the P6 alternator mount as standard it holds the alternator above the bracket where it will clash with the bonnet on a Tr7/8. I did this by making enough clearance (with a file on the bracket #not the alternator#) to swing an ACR type alternator round below the bracket & fabricating an adjuster bracket to go from the alternator to the timing cover beside the lower pulley.