Triumph TR Gearbox Types and identification

I have inherited a gearbox with overdrive. The overdrive unit looks like an A type - the serial number is 28/1427/005053. (Standard Vanguard or have I just confirmed my ignorance?)

The gearbox is stamped with the number V324988 and there is a cast number 301949 on the casing.

Can anyone asist with identifying what this unit is and does it (or any part of it) have any application in turning my TR3A into an overdrive model?

Cheers

Paul

You were right.Vanguard. B) The .28 reduction o/d is great and a direct fit onto your TR box IF you have the longer mainshaft. (The o/d might be in good nick, as these boxes were rarely thrashed, due to the Vanguards 68hp.) The vast majority of Vanguard boxes were 3 speed column shift, so the mainshaft is probably different. :angry: But if you are lucky this might be one of the very rare Sportsman boxes, which were 4 speed and internally similar to TR ( but I think(???) these still had the side selectors like the 3 speeds.) A few internal bits are still interchangeable with TR even from a 3 speed like synchro bits etc

Keith

I have inherited a gearbox with overdrive. The overdrive unit looks like an A type - the serial number is 28/1427/005053. (Standard Vanguard or have I just confirmed my ignorance?)

The gearbox is stamped with the number V324988 and there is a cast number 301949 on the casing.

Can anyone asist with identifying what this unit is and does it (or any part of it) have any application in turning my TR3A into an overdrive model?

Cheers

Paul

You were right.Vanguard. B) The .28 reduction o/d is great and a direct fit onto your TR box IF you have the longer mainshaft. (The o/d might be in good nick, as these boxes were rarely thrashed, due to the Vanguards 68hp.) The vast majority of Vanguard boxes were 3 speed column shift, so the mainshaft is probably different. :angry: But if you are lucky this might be one of the very rare Sportsman boxes, which were 4 speed and internally similar to TR ( but I think(???) these still had the side selectors like the 3 speeds.) A few internal bits are still interchangeable with TR even from a 3 speed like synchro bits etc

Keith

Thanks Keith - a big help

Paul, the 28% reduction Vanguard overdrive is a slightly different ratio to the 22% reduction overdrive fitted to TR's, and most likely will only have 1 1/8" diameter operating pistons.

Therefore for reliability, you should only allow it to operate on top gear, as the overdrive fitted to TR's that engaged on 2nd, 3rd and top gears was a stronger unit with heavy duty 1 3/8" diameter pistons.

And after you fit the 28% Vanny O/D, it might be worth checking your speedo accuracy in top overdrive, just so you don't risk getting pinged by a Gatso. A simple way is to trail someone you know in a modern car travelling at say exactly 50mph, and see what your speedo reads.

Although if it's like many TR speedo's and swings madly all over the place, that might be a worthless exercise. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Viv.

Paul, the 28% reduction Vanguard overdrive is a slightly different ratio to the 22% reduction overdrive fitted to TR's, and most likely will only have 1 1/8" diameter operating pistons.

Therefore for reliability, you should only allow it to operate on top gear, as the overdrive fitted to TR's that engaged on 2nd, 3rd and top gears was a stronger unit with heavy duty 1 3/8" diameter pistons.

And after you fit the 28% Vanny O/D, it might be worth checking your speedo accuracy in top overdrive, just so you don't risk getting pinged by a Gatso. A simple way is to trail someone you know in a modern car travelling at say exactly 50mph, and see what your speedo reads.

Although if it's like many TR speedo's and swings madly all over the place, that might be a worthless exercise. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks for the advice Viv - Can recommend borrowing a hand held GPS and confirming the degree of speedo inaccuracy.

Yes or a satnav! these are very accurate too. Last winter, overhere a guy went to court after getting a speeding ticket. He uses a satnav tracker in his car and the data of that satnav proved that he hadn't been speeding at that time. The judge ruled in favour of the guy!

Menno

• 11 years later...

Simple external identification that I have used for years when looking to  purchase TR gearboxes.

3 synchro gearboxes have a raised casting on the LH side of the main case that has the TS number stamped on the top.   This raised casting may or may not have a filler plug.  The top cover may or may not have an oil dipstick.  The image has the clutch push rod in the dipstick hole in the top cover.  See image 1

4 synchro gearboxes have a hexagonal nut (usually nyloc) on the LH side of the main case rearwards of the filler plug.  See image of identified nut. Image 2

Overdrive adds another dimension

3 image of 3 synchro with A type overdrive

4 Image of 4 synchro with A type overdrive.

last but not least  

5 image a 4 synchro with J type overdrive.

Cheers

Peter W

B7581F89-3156-49C2-93C4-14294F8F3A0A.jpeg

64D37FF8-FD0B-44B6-B96E-515C91557E9D.jpeg

EB7F1BA6-1385-4438-A161-E159106F9549.jpeg

AAB2FC3C-6FAD-41CC-9C7D-AA3AD71195FC.jpeg

65E07ACC-4152-4CD2-817D-01105A722C08.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I have taken on board Marco’s approach of using a thread with a meaningful title to add relevant info to whenever possible.  That will make future searches a tad easier if done from an external search engine.  The forum search facility is pants.

Peter W

46 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I have taken on board Marco’s approach of using a thread with a meaningful title to add relevant info to whenever possible.  That will make future searches a tad easier if done from an external search engine.  The forum search facility is pants.

Peter W

It will also drive more people to the forum,  And when they see how helpful everyone is they should sign up.  In regard to Bob publishing his engine rebuild in the magazine the opposite should happen.  There should be a teaser in the magazine driving people to this forum to see the actual thread with ALL his detail and pictures.

3 minutes ago, David Owen said:

It will also drive more people to the forum,  And when they see how helpful everyone is they should sign up.  In regard to Bob publishing his engine rebuild in the magazine the opposite should happen.  There should be a teaser in the magazine driving people to this forum to see the actual thread with ALL his detail and pictures.

You should add TR2, TR3 to the title.

38 minutes ago, Z320 said:

The titel is perfect!

Sometimes I heared about gearboxes look like TR gearboxes- but they are from Saloons?

Perhaps someone could posts photos of them to see what is not TR?

T?he title is perfect for users of this forum.  Outside of here people will google TR3 Gearbox.  That's how you build your user base.  Ease of use.

If I have one and have doupts about, or need one and want as much as possible hits,

I will google "Triumph TR gearbox", not "TR4A IRS gearbox".

So the absolute perfect titel would be "Triumph TR gearbox types (identification)"

Edited by Z320
4 minutes ago, Z320 said:

If I have one and have doupts about, or need one and want as much as possible hits,

Fair enough but I was assuming that people searching for that information would not be as sophisticated as the intellentsia on here.  There would be plenty that don't know that multiple models use the same gearbox.

Edited by David Owen
2 hours ago, Z320 said:

So the absolute perfect titel would be "Triumph TR gearbox types (identification)"

I am not able to edit the title of this thread as I did not create it.  The copy of this thread with the similar name in the general tech forum I have changed the title of.

This is really an admin job but they have too many other things to get on with.

Peter W

• John Morrison changed the title to Triumph TR Gearbox Types and identification

Hi Peter,

sorry me, this was just my suggestion.

You - and every member-  decide how you title a thread.

As you mentioned I often try to use a titel that could be browsed and found by Google.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
4 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Peter,

sorry me, this was just my suggestion.

You - and every member-  decide how you title a thread.

As you mentioned I often try to use a titel that could be browsed and found by Google.

Ciao, Marco

Your idea is very sensible as it helps when searching for specific information. Thank you.

Peter W

• 7 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 5:38 PM, David Owen said:

Spot on! David.