When servicing the SU carburetors of my TR4A the guy has convinced me that the original position of the ignition coil causes excessive heat on it.

So it was moved to a place close to the horn, and fixed by using square holes available on that portion of the car (picture attached).

Is there anybody here able to comment on pros and cons on this?

Thanks,

Reinaldo

Hi Reinaldo, Dont see a problem with the location, and a location that I have considered To reduce heat transfer when fitted to the normal location, I have longer bolts and a thick piece of nylon in between the coil and block acting as an insulator.

Regards

Dale

When servicing the SU carburetors of my TR4A the guy has convinced me that the original position of the ignition coil causes excessive heat on it.

Also excessive vibration. Your guy has made a good suggestion.

Ivor

The Works TR4 Rally cars have two coils (one being a spare, ready for quick change-over) mounted on the inside of the front inner wing, opposite the distributor. This provides a cooler environment (air flow plus heat-sink effect) with little or no vibration. It's a good idea to provide a separate earth wire, rather than just rely on the bodywork to engine connection.

This was standard practice on rally cars of that period, as was running brake and fuel lines through the cabin in order to avoid rocks ripping them off the underside of the car.

Ian Cornish

So it was moved to a place close to the horn, and fixed by using square holes available on that portion of the car (picture attached).

Thanks,

Reinaldo

The idea is OK but the mounting is not.

Hard driving and summer heat will cause the horizontal coil to act as a shaker, emulsionate the oil inside, and make it non-conductive. Happened to me in the Alps. All I had to do was reset the coil vertical along the wheel arch and everything returned to normal.

Badfrog

Badfrog is quite right on orientation - I forgot to mention it as I am so used to looking at the tops of the two of them whenever I check the oil. The inner wing is very nearly vertical opposite the distributor.

Ian Cornish

I have heard that a "Sports Coil" may get hotter than the original Lucas coils. I still have and still use the original coil which has been on my 1958 TR3A for over 51 years. It is still mounted to the block and I never had any issues with it located there. I suppose that TR owners from places like Australia, Arizona, etc. may suggest that it's hotter where they live than where I live in Eastern Canada.

Thanks a lot for all of you (Roger, Dale, Ivor, Ianc, BadFrog and Don).

I have learned a lot, as usual on this forum.

Might sound obvious, but one doing the change have to remember to leave the original screws on the engine block with coper washer to avoid oil leak.

Reinaldo

Thanks,

Reinaldo