TR3 cubby/glove box replacement

Hi all,

I have got my TR3A (LHD – imported from the USA) unfortunately without cubby/glove box.

Does have anybody experience with making a copy of cubby box himself? I would appreciate any drawings with measurements or instructions.

I am also willing to buy your surplus or unneeded box.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Best regards,

Ondrej

Czech Republic

I fabricated my cubby box by myself, using cardboard, and plain white wood glue. I followed the structure of the original or aftermarket boxes, as seen in photos and dimensions supplied by the friends in the forum. Then I glued some very light grey carpet material in the interior, but for better results, it could have been painted with some flocked-finish paint (which I had not available).

The box can be made with two pieces of cardboard: one for the bottom and one for the side wall. The most difficult task is perhaps bending the cardboard thank makes the side wall. I managed this by using a piece of 16 mm thick plywood shaped like the bottom and wrapping the cardboard around it and nailing it to the plywood, to keep the shape. You should leave some flaps along the edge that has to math the bottom. The other side of the box has to keep the shape of the opening, so using a second piece of plywood can help. This piece has to be glued along its edges. For that I used a strip of cardboard and white glue. Then you can remove the pieces of plywood and the bottom can be glued to the flaps.

Well, perhaps it sound too complicated (and difficult to understand because of may English)… I can send some photos of the finished box.

In all the results was very decent, and probably looking into the box, nobody would know that it was home-made.

However, I am not sure if now, after all the experience, I would not buy directly an aftermarket one.

Jesus

Hi Jesus,

thank you for your comment. It seems to me more meaningful to buy new one instead spending time with home-making. I will spend my limited time for another parts of my TR.

Best regards,

Ondrej

I fabricated my cubby box by myself, using cardboard, and plain white wood glue. I followed the structure of the original or aftermarket boxes, as seen in photos and dimensions supplied by the friends in the forum. Then I glued some very light grey carpet material in the interior, but for better results, it could have been painted with some flocked-finish paint (which I had not available).

The box can be made with two pieces of cardboard: one for the bottom and one for the side wall. The most difficult task is perhaps bending the cardboard thank makes the side wall. I managed this by using a piece of 16 mm thick plywood shaped like the bottom and wrapping the cardboard around it and nailing it to the plywood, to keep the shape. You should leave some flaps along the edge that has to math the bottom. The other side of the box has to keep the shape of the opening, so using a second piece of plywood can help. This piece has to be glued along its edges. For that I used a strip of cardboard and white glue. Then you can remove the pieces of plywood and the bottom can be glued to the flaps.

Well, perhaps it sound too complicated (and difficult to understand because of may English)… I can send some photos of the finished box.

In all the results was very decent, and probably looking into the box, nobody would know that it was home-made.

However, I am not sure if now, after all the experience, I would not buy directly an aftermarket one.

Jesus

• 10 years later...
On 7/29/2009 at 9:48 AM, Menno van Rij said:

I hav lots of cubby box pics, (LHD car) too large to post them here. PM me your email address and I'll send them later today.

Regards,

Menno

Hi Menno

Could you be so kind to send photos of glove box to : plgrima@hotmail.com

On 7/30/2009 at 2:52 PM, ondon said:

Hi Jesus,

thank you for your comment. It seems to me more meaningful to buy new one instead spending time with home-making. I will spend my limited time for another parts of my TR.

Best regards,

Ondrej

Hi Ondrej

Could you be so kind to send photos of the built and finished glove box to : plgrima@hotmail.com

3 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Jesus ~

I would be inclined to make mine out of aluminium if I had to replace it. Very easy to do. My original cardboard glove box is still serviceable.

Tom.

Thanks Tom

How are you keeping, long time since we talked.

23 minutes ago, BugiaTR said:

Thanks Tom

How are you keeping, long time since we talked.

Hi Bugia TR ~

I'm quite well Thank You. I haven't been near my TR for quite some time now. I don't know if I'll ever get it back on the road. I've lost all interest.

I hope you're keeping well under the present circumstances?

Best regards ~
Tom.

I am going to make all my interior panels for the 3a myself, cant bring myself to pay nearly £600 for a ready made kit. Currently waiting for some vinyl samples to arrive, but have costed the vinyl, piping, and board to well under £100. I already have the door pockets, bought a couple of years ago when moss had a sale for £2 each, but they are a bit flimsy, might stiffen them up a bit with some board glued to the backs. The cash saved will then go to the £1000 I need to buy the leather seat cover kit, foam kit, and spring bases for my seats, gulp.

TR Shop has RHD ones.

I think you could adapt a rhd one by reversing cut outs and fitting the other way round 180 degrees. Who cares if it is a bit shorter!

TIP.

When fitting wet the material with water but not soak and then fit. If dash is out so much the better.  but leave it then for 4-5 days to dry naturally.

They don't fit out of the box anyway.

19 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

I haven't been near my TR for quite some time now. I don't know if I'll ever get it back on the road. I've lost all interest.

Dear Tom,

Saddens me! Why have you lost interest and how much is left to finish your restoration? I bet you not very much, all things considered. Best wishes

Hi David ~

Thank you for that. I'm afraid that when I lost my wife everything went out of the window. I used to do a lot of video filming and editing

but that's taken a back seat as well. My wife absolutely loved the TR. 

Here's wishing you and yours a very Happy Easter.

Tom.

50 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi David ~

Thank you for that. I'm afraid that when I lost my wife everything went out of the window. I used to do a lot of video filming and editing

but that's taken a back seat as well. My wife absolutely loved the TR. 

Here's wishing you and yours a very Happy Easter.

Tom.

My dear friend, I am so very sorry and do understand, easy words, cheap even, but true, all the same. How can it be that you are not alone in your grief. It is a lonely experience that we prefer to ignore when it is not our own.

I love my wife very dearly and cannot imagine what it would be like for her or for me to be left behind. But I urge you to imagine going to your garage, taking a look, and just making a list of what still needs doing. My guess is that you have done most of the work.

Dare I say my thoughts? If I do, it is with the utmost respect and because there is this also, in what we do and I can think of no reason not. You are still with us, thankfully, and perhaps if your beloved were with us too, she would want you to finish the car — and drive it. For her. For you. For all the people who hold you in high esteem and wish you well.

So let's see. If the door panels are done, my guess is that the doors are done, hung, therefore olling chassis and you must be down to details, is that right? Take your grief into the garage and spray it with WD40, tire it out with the effort it takes to do mrchanical work, distract it by concentrating on the job in hand. You'll see. Car will be burbling again after so long and you'll know it means something precious that transcends door gaps and correctness or market value. How about Tom value?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 4:32 PM, Fireman049 said:

Hi Bugia TR ~

I'm quite well Thank You. I haven't been near my TR for quite some time now. I don't know if I'll ever get it back on the road. I've lost all interest.

I hope you're keeping well under the present circumstances?

Best regards ~
Tom.

Hi Tom

I'm fine thanks, since we are working less hour due to current situation ,I 'm spending more time working on TR. Should try and start the engine tomorrow since its fitted on chassis now.

I'm sure you will gather courage and pop over to the garage and finish off the car. I'm sure you will share some lovely photos of the effort you have put in.

Hope to hear from you with some positive thoughts and photos

I have a query on my south Africa built, right hand side  TR3 with 

Chassis Serial Number : TS14319  (Z 28 )     Engine Serial Number :  TS12706E..

It has no (commission plate? if I'm right) built plate and seems there wasn't one from original as no holes were found during restoration. Is it normal being a knock down unit shipped during the embargo on South Africa. Should I still have the plates? 

If so, would the chassis and engine number, which are matching, since I have the original first registration from S.A. be enough to find the proper built number?

Pete

Bugia TR