What should oil pressure be?

Hi

What should the tickover (900rpm) oil pressure be when hot? Engine is less than 1000 miles old. Oil Penrite 20W60.

Also, changing oil and filter for first time after running in, there is clearly some bronze 'metalflake' effect in the oil from the filter. Is this normal?

Slightly paranoid....

Thanks

Nic

Hi Nic There are varying suggestions on what correct oil pressure "should" be, but on a freshly rebuilt engine I would expect not to be below 30 psi at tick over at normal running temp Mine with 98000 under her bellt drops to 20 or so but still runs at 55 to 60 above 2000 revs

The oil should have no sign of any metal contamination Can't think of whats brass in the engine though

Regards

Dale

What should the tickover (900rpm) oil pressure be when hot? Engine is less than 1000 miles old. Oil Penrite 20W60.

Also, changing oil and filter for first time after running in, there is clearly some bronze 'metalflake' effect in the oil from the filter. Is this normal?

Nic

Dear Nic,

Be very cautious: bronze flakes were all over in my engine after it broke. Comes from damaged rod bearings and is usually associated with low pressure under 2000 rpm. I strongly advise oil sump removal and close inspection.

As my mech buddy said: if you had checked your engine the first time oil pressure turned a bit lower than before, all I would have done was change bearings and clean up the engine.

New bearings can be bad from the start. Checking is always cheaper.

Cheers,

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog