Hello all,

Having been distracted by some side projects recently, I haven't spent much time on my Doretti restoration. I'm trying to remedy that now, and over the coming weeks I hope to make some good progress.

Next steps are some cleaning, welding, and painting on the frame and suspension components. Part of that will be welding new captive nuts to the frame all around-- not one of them survived the body removal wholly intact. Either because the bolts were damaged in removal, or because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, I am having trouble figuring out the size and thread pitch of the original bolts. Can any of the Doretti gurus on the board shed some light on this? I will have to put in a fairly large hardware order, and I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I hope the recent quiet on the board is because everyone is out enjoying their cars!

Best,

Vittorio

• 3 months later...

Hello again,

Answering my own question: the size of the bolt is 1/4"-28tpi. (I found one that was just about salvageable after some work with a wire brush and a die.)

Anybody reproducing accurate early Doretti floors yet? No? Well, just thought I'd ask...

Best,

Vittorio

The body bolts you think are 1/4 28 are not they are an English tread of some sort..... You can retap your captured nuts to 1/4-28 and use SAE bolts probably ok with some tjread sealer best check depending on the Qualty of bolts you get. or replace all with 1/4-28

Tom

Hmm, I think the British standard fine thread (BSF) had 26 threads per inch on a 1/4" bolt, whereas this definitely has 28. BA-threaded bolts, another English alternative to BSF, are fairly rare in this size, and also would have had approximately 26 tpi.

Whitworth or BSC (coarse) threads are often mixed up with SAE/UNC threads, from what I understand, but on the fine threads the distinctions are more clearcut. I just needed to find a bolt that was complete enough for me to get to grips with-- all the other ones had rusted away or snapped at the head!

Since all of my bolts (save one) and captive nuts were damaged, I'm definitely going to replace them all, so for me ultimately this is academic. Hopefully some future Doretti restorer finds this thread (no pun intended!) useful.

Best,

Vittorio

• 3 weeks later...