my tr6 327 v8 nearly finished

I'm with you on this one, Ivor. I personally wouldn't have done this to my 6 (when I had one!) largely because of lack of funds, but, like the gentleman with the Electronically fuel injected Healey the other day I recognise the quality of the engineering and I would love to have a drive. I'm sorry to say that I stopped going to meetings nearly 15 years ago because certain single issue fanatics tended to criticise the more liberal members who wanted the experience of the car with relaibility built in.

We're a broad church and it isn't as if this is the first engine transplant done on a 1970's Triumph - there were loads done on the racing circuits in the 70's & 80's.

Kel,

I like it most of it (just not sure about the grill) but more importantly it is your car and you can do what you want with it. From my own perspective I like shiney cars but I like cars that are driven even more and I know this one will be driven. If they are shiney and driven so much the better. Good job we don't all think the same or it would be a dull world.

Well done on having the gumption to do it and the focus to see it through.

I'm with you on this one, Ivor. I personally wouldn't have done this to my 6 (when I had one!) largely because of lack of funds, but, like the gentleman with the Electronically fuel injected Healey the other day I recognise the quality of the engineering and I would love to have a drive. I'm sorry to say that I stopped going to meetings nearly 15 years ago because certain single issue fanatics tended to criticise the more liberal members who wanted the experience of the car with relaibility built in.

We're a broad church and it isn't as if this is the first engine transplant done on a 1970's Triumph - there were loads done on the racing circuits in the 70's & 80's.

David

I can enliven this thread even more by saying I dont go to any local group meetings and never have done because of exactly the opposite !!!! Never been into the WRI or as its now known the WI !!!Does anyone out there ever read other groups social scene reports in the TRaction?? Waste of space in the TRaction as far as I can see....should be more technicalities sections, racing reports etc etc

Oh God have I started up another interesting bunch of replies???

Alan (who IS liberal enough to see and understand the way the club is going but still dont like it)

Yep thats a bad car and I dont mean that in any form of favourable mid 70's coloured American street savvy either......no it really is bad.. Dare I say it but this sums up just where the Register and TR ownership is heading in general. The question I have to ask is......WHY ???? If you want a Corvette then buy one but dont make a pigs ear out of a silk purse !!!

Mr. Karmann (God rest his soul) must be turning in his grave!!!!

Alan :o

i have a corvette aswell

David

I can enliven this thread even more by saying I dont go to any local group meetings and never have done because of exactly the opposite !!!! Never been into the WRI or as its now known the WI !!!Does anyone out there ever read other groups social scene reports in the TRaction?? Waste of space in the TRaction as far as I can see....should be more technicalities sections, racing reports etc etc

Oh God have I started up another interesting bunch of replies???

Alan (who IS liberal enough to see and understand the way the club is going but still dont like it)

I wish you had not if you feel that strong about it then post your own topic to many go off transit and are lost. Kel car looks great, good job well executed

Edited by ntc

I wouldn't think so,(well maybe the front grill would cause a shudder but I expect that is out of necessity for keeping things cool).Karmann is of another time and while his styling is fairly timeless in the 6 I expect he would approve of any changes that would benefit todays motoring i.e. the rear lights.As for the engine didn't the Rootes group(a Chrysler owned company at the time)improve the Sunbeam Alpine with a Ford V8.You can't get away from the fact that the car looks good and if as I suspect will handle as well,if not better then a standard 6,will be a very usable road car.My point being that vehicles can be improved in a variety of ways and if the early pioneers of motoring had not tried where would we be now.

Clive

Yep thats a bad car and I dont mean that in any form of favourable mid 70's coloured American street savvy either......no it really is bad.. Dare I say it but this sums up just where the Register and TR ownership is heading in general. The question I have to ask is......WHY ???? If you want a Corvette then buy one but dont make a pigs ear out of a silk purse !!!

Sorry Alan, don't agree with you on this one.

If it were one of the last handful of TR6s, then you would have a point - but it isn't. You have to take your hat off to Kel at the quality of what he has done. Sure, not to everyone's taste, but nonetheless a superb achievement in itself.

We are all entitled to opinions, but to suggest that this car sums up where the TR register is heading, to my mind, is a little out of order.

You don't like it - fine, but don't put the preverbial boot in as well.

My Two pence worth :)

Edited by trfella

Hi Alan,

the world isn't short of TRs, lots of 'em rebuilt to better than new standard . . . . a few off the wall hot rods certainly won't do any harm, sort of leavens the mix.

As for Social Scene, may I suggest watching paint dry as a more interesting way to Nod Off ? Agreed, complete waste of paper printing and postage not to mention time, almost anything else would be preferable. Even MGs.

Local Groups were once the backbone of the TR Register, out there in the big world competing, flying the flag, organising working parties for yet another stripdown, rebuild, engine swap or whatever . . . . Those days are long gone, mutual assistance replaced by cheque books, precious relics shown off occasionally complete with 'do not touch' signs, and a cream tea run the nearest anyone gets to sporting motoring. Three years as a co-ordinator was quite enough to illustrate how the scene had changed in a couple of decades. OK, of course there are honourable exceptions, but sadly not that many.

Cheers,

Alec

Yep thats a bad car and I dont mean that in any form of favourable mid 70's coloured American street savvy either......no it really is bad.. Dare I say it but this sums up just where the Register and TR ownership is heading in general. The question I have to ask is......WHY ???? If you want a Corvette then buy one but dont make a pigs ear out of a silk purse !!! Mr. Karmann (God rest his soul) must be turning in his grave!!!! Alan :o

Insult a man's wife or girlfriend but never his car...........your post is bad form Alan!

Kel - it's brilliant!!

Cheers

Andrew

Insult a man's wife or girlfriend but never his car...........your post is bad form Alan!

Kel - it's brilliant!!

Cheers

Andrew

Is this not what the forum is all about ?? If you have a comment to make is this not the way to do it??? The thing is with a forum you have to view, if not accept, other people's ideas?? Ok I dont like what Kel has done to his car and I have said so, surely its not "bad form" as you so succinctly put it, its merely my opinion (guess I wont be alone in that either).

Alan

I kind of agree with both Alan and Andrew. It's not my cup of tea but each to his own, the standard of work looks exellent, the grill and headlamps don't do it for me, but that's me, no doubt many would intensely dislike what I've done to mine, it would be boring if we all had the same tastes. I would suggest that there is a tactful way of expressing a negative opinion, not too much was used in Alan's posting.

Whilst on the subject of modifying, I was searching the forum earlier this morning and came across the M3 red TR6 conversion, now that does float my boat.

Best wishes with completion of the project Kel, I'm sure it will sound stunning.

Is this not what the forum is all about ?? If you have a comment to make is this not the way to do it??? The thing is with a forum you have to view, if not accept, other people's ideas?? Ok I dont like what Kel has done to his car and I have said so, surely its not "bad form" as you so succinctly put it, its merely my opinion (guess I wont be alone in that either).

Alan

Absolutely, that's the whole point as you say, but the other comment was a bit uncalled for - that's all. :)

Hey, maybe if Triumph kept the TR in production for another 6 years - who knows, maybe the final production run would have been very similar to what Kel has produced? Hairy chested for sure!

Like I said above, no need to put the boot in with the other comment!

ETA - we are all friends on here with a passion for TRs - No? :)

Edited by trfella
Absolutely, that's the whole point as you say, but the other comment was a bit uncalled for - that's all. :)

Hey, maybe if Triumph kept the TR in production for another 6 years - who knows, maybe the final production run would have been very similar to what Kel has produced? Hairy chested for sure!

Like I said above, no need to put the boot in with the other comment!

ETA - we are all friends on here with a passion for TRs - No? :)

Well like Alec P. I have never been a shrinking violet !!!

Lets take this scenario then.......you are looking at a Daimler SP250 (Dart then) when a television reporter comes up to you with mike in hand (no, not that Mike) and asks you what you think of the car? Are you going to be PC and waffle on about it being "interestingly different" or other such wimpish replies or are you going to say "its bl++dy awful " ????.

Three guesses as to what my answer would be? Hurt someones feelings by being brusque? Nope just telling the truth. I think the person who designed it should have gone to Specsavers!!!

Just a different take on what has been said above thats all.

Alan (if anyone reading this actually likes the Dart, keep it to yourself please) !!! :P

No beating about the bush, eh then Alan ?

I mean, if you're going to draw comparisons with a total plonquer of a car, you can't do much better than a Dreamer Drat. Well OK, maybe a Jensen Healey ?

One thing you can say for a Drat, at least it had fibreglass bodywork that burned well - unfortunately not enough of them were treated to discreet application of a blowtorch.

Each to his own, but anyone who's keen enough to spend the small fortune required to restore one of those Daimler horrors needs sterilising, if only in order to remove such tendencies from the gene pool. Mind you, I suppose that could apply to most Daimlers ?

As has already been pointed out, this is a Forum - we can all admire someone's dedication, determination, craftsmanship, even the thickness of his wallet. That doesn't mean we have to admire the end result of his efforts if it looks like the proverbial dog's dinner. You can't always believe the camera, I'll reserve judgement on Kel's hot rod until I've seen it in the metal. Some cars just don't snapshot well, but look admirable in reality, and vice versa.

Cheers,

Alec

No beating about the bush, eh then Alan ?

I mean, if you're going to draw comparisons with a total plonquer of a car, you can't do much better than a Dreamer Drat. Well OK, maybe a Jensen Healey ?

One thing you can say for a Drat, at least it had fibreglass bodywork that burned well - unfortunately not enough of them were treated to discreet application of a blowtorch.

Each to his own, but anyone who's keen enough to spend the small fortune required to restore one of those Daimler horrors needs sterilising, if only in order to remove such tendencies from the gene pool. Mind you, I suppose that could apply to most Daimlers ?

As has already been pointed out, this is a Forum - we can all admire someone's dedication, determination, craftsmanship, even the thickness of his wallet. That doesn't mean we have to admire the end result of his efforts if it looks like the proverbial dog's dinner. You can't always believe the camera, I'll reserve judgement on Kel's hot rod until I've seen it in the metal. Some cars just don't snapshot well, but look admirable in reality, and vice versa.

Cheers,

Alec

I had a Jensen Healy, and I always liked the Daimler Dart - there's no accounting for taste.

I admire the workmanship in Kel's car, but it isn't for me.

mike

Chaps,

Am going to re upload kels photos

in different format, should make them bigger.

Currently photobucket is having a fit. Nowup for Site maintenance, photos look great

larger, plenty of detail.

Lot of work gone into this motor, well done Kel

Cheers

Guy

WOW jersey royal we have have really started something together regards kel

Did any one notice the tr7 rear lights inc outer flange STILL TRIUMPH!!!!!! built by kel notalotie ;)

If anyone else has a Dart which offends their sensibilities every time they open their garage door, I'll be happy to take it off them :lol:

Ivor

Hi ivor

seems like you are now one of my mates!!! well done with your choice of words see u at malvern,

cross roads big oak tree ,right hand side flying the peace flag kent group i will be taking my tr3 hope the clutch release bearing hold up (getting noisy)

regards kel

Did any one notice the tr7 rear lights inc outer flange STILL TRIUMPH!!!!!! built by kel notalotie ;)

Yep, that's why I said that if the TR6 had carried on in production for another 6 years - maybe it would look a little like your car ;)

I had a Drat once, long ago, having hankered after one as a kid, the disappointment factor was akin to that of a Morgan. Apart from looking like a TR crossed with a Standard Pennant, it felt and went like an overblown TR3, the luxurious whistles and bells couldn't conceal the fact that it was a poor copy of a TR. It went wrong at least twice as often, the spares cost twice as much, and it used twice as much fuel. But it sold at a profit, so I bought another but low mileage - even worse, its predecessor had at least been improved from standard by a previous owner; still, I got my money back on the second car if not a profit. Never again. A mere few weeks of Daimlers was quite enough.

The Jensen Healey I had as a road test car, and for demonstrating to my friend Alan Jensen, who with his brother Richard had left Jensen quite a few years before. The worst new car I've ever driven, bar none. The door handle fell off, so did the door card, the passenger seat came off its rails, the bonnet catch failed. Alan wasn't impressed. We took it to Goodwood, the gearbox seized before we got there (this was only from Brighton!!!). Replacement box, took it again, couple of laps and the engine went bang, snapped camshaft. Lotus factor. Jensen offered me the car at a huge discount, with replacement engine, anything to stop a bum report in the press, so a pal bought it. Three months of going wrong later he got rid, replaced it with an Opel Manta that just worked, no problem.

No fond memories of either car, I'm afraid. But the Manta was a belter.

Cheers,

Alec

One might be peeved if a TR5 were to be so 'improved'.

Er..... tell that to Andy at CTM :D

By the way if you get offered two SP250's I'll take one off your hands :)

If anyone else has a Dart which offends their sensibilities every time they open their garage door, I'll be happy to take it off them :lol:

Ivor

I'm with you Ivor. If anyone has one in their garage that is offending their eye, I'll send you my shipping address. Really unique car and quite striking. There were two of them at the British Invasion, Stowe, VT in 2006, both had come down from Canada, newly restored and they looked a treat. This is one of them. Dang, it has alloy wheels with spinners.

DSCN1839.jpg