?the first of many?

At this stage I'm not sure how many bits I will have left over after the 'complete strip down and rebuild' of the 4A.

However I've just discovered what is going to be the first bit left over.

I can see where item 41 bolts on to the clamp/support that holds the steering on to the bottom of the dash, but I can't find anything within cooee of the hole in its other end that I could possibly bolt it to.

I have this feeling in my water that the car will still work without item 41 in place.

Acceleration to 60 mph should improve by .00001 seconds because of the weight reduction.

At this stage I'm not sure how many bits I will have left over after the 'complete strip down and rebuild' of the 4A.

However I've just discovered what is going to be the first bit left over.

I can see where item 41 bolts on to the clamp/support that holds the steering on to the bottom of the dash, but I can't find anything within cooee of the hole in its other end that I could possibly bolt it to.

I have this feeling in my water that the car will still work without item 41 in place.

Acceleration to 60 mph should improve by .00001 seconds because of the weight reduction.

I would fit bolt 41.

Its purpose is to prevent the whole column from moving left to right.

A mate of mine had this on his motor, and was wondering why it was so slack,

in his case it was just loose, tightened it up, he was a much happier chappy.

If you havent got a bolt hole, you need to make one, mine was found above an access panel in the bulkhead to wheelboxes.

On a Rhd car the support goes towards the left and not the right as shown in sketch. Maybe this is the reason you

cant find the hole.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I agree - you should fit the brace to support the steering column. There should be a captive nut high on the plenum.

Thanks chaps.

It's that elusive bolt 41 I can't find, plus the speedo and tacho smack into the brace in most positions.

The bottom of the clamp that the brace attaches to (at the top) is connected to the bottom of the dash by two bolts. That should stop any lateral movement of the column unless enough lateral force is applied to the steering wheel to break the clamp. Say 6G turn to the left with seat belt undone( unexpurgated thoughts of Chairman Jim).

Looks like triumph fitted it to protect the clamp.

Will resume my search, based on your advice, but after being lost for so many days, I have grave fears that said bolt will never be found.

LittleJim,

I have fitted the same steering column stay you are describing without the problems you seem to be having.

The top of the stay bolts into a captive nut in the bulkhead and the location of that one is just to the side of the plastic screen vent. Mine was a LHD car and the body had a captive nut on each side of the car, I assume for LHD or RHD.

The other end of the stay bolts to one of the ears on the top of the aluminium bracket that clamps to the steel dash panel.

I have taken some photos which hopefully should help.

Also the speedo fits without anything fouling.

1-TR4topsteeringcolumnstay.jpg

2-Boltedtobulkhead.jpg

3-Boltedtotopofdashbracket.jpg

Maybe the stay is the wrong type?

Did you take it off the car yourself?

I can take some dimensions of the stay if you need to check.

Regards, Richard ;)

Richard,

many thanks for going to all that trouble for me.

Looks like I must have welded the hole up and painted it wedgewood blue, during my plenum repairs. Definitely no sign of it there now.

Will have to make a new hole or might make up a new bracket to go to one of the existing bolts.

This forum is a godsend for iggorant TR restorers like me.

Richard,

many thanks for going to all that trouble for me.

Looks like I must have welded the hole up and painted it wedgewood blue, during my plenum repairs. Definitely no sign of it there now.

Will have to make a new hole or might make up a new bracket to go to one of the existing bolts.

This forum is a godsend for iggorant TR restorers like me.

LittleJim,

Pity about the lack of a fixing hole, worth fitting I think as that top stay really makes the column stable.

Might be possible to fix the modified length stay to the nearest bolt holding the heater box to the bulkhead?

I always ask the questions as someone in the Register has always done the similar work before...............!!!!!!

Regards, Richard ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the egging on by Jersey and Smokey, and the pictures by Richard, I found the missing (overlooked) captive nut.

Until I saw richard's photos I was looking in the wrong spot. Poor light and the beautiful paint job I did on it, made it hard to spot.

The last piccie is of a couple of humpbacks on their way north to Hervey Bay to calve.

pic1: it's there somewhere.

pic2: found.

Edited by littlejim