Rally seats; Corbeau, Sparco etc

I went to TR Group meeting earlier this evening and we (the group members, that is) met a new group member. A lady driving a 3A, fully prepared (and heavily used!!) as rally car. This FIA approved car had a pair of nice fitting bucket seats in stead of the TRs originals. Cloth in the middle, vinyl on the sides and back.

Perhaps you can remember my queste for the ultimate solution. I eventually choose the original seats to be restored. But after a trial sit (fit) witht these bucket seat, I think I'll change my mind. Having said that, what's in your opinion -or experience for that matter- the max. width that will fit between the door and the tunnel.

Sparco, Corbeau are the seats everybody thinks about. I came across this seat on eBay.uk Seats on eBay Any experience? Mind you, that they don't look so nice is not a problem: I will have them recovered with the chocalate brown colour of my interior!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Thanks for the heads-up Brian! How did I miss these threads? I will certainly look into that.

What's more, I was looking for Corbeau seats earlier today and I came across a Dutch TRparts seller (Nico Baas). He sells Corbeau seats. But... he also sells other Triumph parts. That made me wonder: does a seat from a Spitfire MKIV or 1500 fit in a TR? Does any of you have any experience?

Menno

Thanks for the heads-up Brian! How did I miss these threads? I will certainly look into that.

What's more, I was looking for Corbeau seats earlier today and I came across a Dutch TRparts seller (Nico Baas). He sells Corbeau seats. But... he also sells other Triumph parts. That made me wonder: does a seat from a Spitfire MKIV or 1500 fit in a TR? Does any of you have any experience?

Menno

Hi Menno,if its comfort that you are looking for FORGET spitfire 1500 seats,i also have a 1500 and changed the seats for Mazda ones, as every time i got out of the 1500 my back ached for a week.No problem now with the Mazda seats.

Hi,

That's an other fact how the human body differs from one person to an other. I owned a 1500TC for more than 10 years. Driving about 6K mls/y. and I never had backache. Not that I'm superhuman nore that I doubt your judgement or the physical facts that your back is hurting. I think that everybody is different.

I've seen Spits with MX5 seats and I think it looks okay, but in a 3A, I think that these are not (visually) suited. That's why I try to convince myself... that I need something more in line with Triumph and/or the era of the TR.

Menno

Menno-

If you are considering Corbeau, here are some pictures of ones fitted to a 3A as shown on a US forum a few weeks ago:

Corbeau TR3A install

Cheers,

Randy

64 TR4

59 TR3A

I don't mean to be rude, but they look bl**dy awful - whose the owner? Stevie Wonder?

They might be comfortable, but they just don't look right (in my humble opinion)

Regards

Peter

Strewth . . . . !

David Ferry has good looking seats in his car - no idea what they are, but the 3 struck me as one of the better looking and better sorted cars that I've seen in recent years. Perhaps David could send you a picture, Menno ?

Cheers,

Alec

The rally I was at at the weekend had a battered (very) Dorretti turn up , spoke to the owner who had somehow managerd to squeeze a pair of XJS seats in it . Not a sidescreen I know but close , they didnt look too bad and were probably comfy enough

MENNO did you find out what make those seats were in the fia car as i have an fia race car that i cannot find a seat that will fit in with the full rollcage/doorbars .I have just put in a corbeau classic but am not at all pleased with look , fit , saftey. i have found a seat that has been made for caterham 7s which has the narrow fit but is just to high and hits the cage.

ROY

Hi Scott,

the Doretti has slightly more available width for seating than a sidescreen TR - not a lot, but enough to make the choice of potential seats considerably greater . . . .

Hi Roy,

you could try asking Celia and Ian, the Peerless is narrower than a TR in the seating department and they have FIA seat and full cage. PM if you need the number.

Cheers,

Alec

MENNO did you find out what make those seats were in the fia car as i have an fia race car that i cannot find a seat that will fit in with the full rollcage/doorbars .I have just put in a corbeau classic but am not at all pleased with look , fit , saftey. i have found a seat that has been made for caterham 7s which has the narrow fit but is just to high and hits the cage.

ROY

What I've found out thusfar is the fact that there's a guy overhere building bespoke seats for TRs and other classics: he appears to have a templete for welding the frames. And it's quite a clever design, I found out: de seat is asymmetrical! The part of the seat that comes in contact with the tunnel appears to be lower and less pronounced, the side of the tunnel acts as a side of the seat! He can adjust his frame to meet FIA regs for classic cars.

I found a pic of his seats on the 'net. Observe the 'dent' in the side of the seat where the diver's upper leg is supposed to be. This 'dent' is adjusted to the type of car. The picture was coded 'Austin'. What I'm looking for is the frame only, I'll ask my own upholsterer to cover the seats with the material that's currently in my car. I've tried to contact the guy but he's on holiday apparently. .

The lady I talked to, had a fairly regular edition of these seats in her TR. She drives and rallies her car together with a friend, about 20k yearly. She finds these seats very comfortable, touring from rally to rally all over Europe! (And even outside Europe: she drove Amsterdam - Peking = 17k kms in classic Ford Mustang a few years back). She will be attending LeJog later this year with her TR.

Menno

austin.gif

What I've found out thusfar is the fact that there's a guy overhere building bespoke seats for TRs and other classics: he appears to have a templete for welding the frames. And it's quite a clever design, I found out: de seat is asymmetrical! The part of the seat that comes in contact with the tunnel appears to be lower and less pronounced, the side of the tunnel acts as a side of the seat! He can adjust his frame to meet FIA regs for classic cars.

I found a pic of his seats on the 'net. Observe the 'dent' in the side of the seat where the diver's upper leg is supposed to be. This 'dent' is adjusted to the type of car. The picture was coded 'Austin'. What I'm looking for is the frame only, I'll ask my own upholsterer to cover the seats with the material that's currently in my car. I've tried to contact the guy but he's on holiday apparently. .

The lady I talked to, had a fairly regular edition of these seats in her TR. She drives and rallies her car together with a friend, about 20k yearly. She finds these seats very comfortable, touring from rally to rally all over Europe! (And even outside Europe: she drove Amsterdam - Peking = 17k kms in classic Ford Mustang a few years back). She will be attending LeJog later this year with her TR.

Menno

austin.gif

Hey Menno- I just finished installing a pair of the Corbeau type buckets that Revington TR has made for the TR-3 I can say they're a snug fit, but have full fore and aft range of adjustment if you use the pattern they supply for placement of the seat rails on the floor plan. I bought their aftermarket rails as well, tho I think Neil said the stock ones can be used. I needed a set anyway, and these are nicely made. (Will require drilling new floor pan holes). I mounted them on 1.5 inch aluminum bar stock risers to jack them up a bit as well. They come with headrests and can be custom upholstered as you like. As for comfort, I can only say they feel nice sitting in the garage making motor noises, but they're far better than stock! Pics are available at his website. Good luck, whichever way you chose. Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

On one of my TR3 I use for rallyes, I have the Corbeau CUB seats (the ones you fond on the Buggy). They fit perfectly and they hold you very well in the bends.

See photos attached (www.trmentvotre.com)

Rgds

GG

I went to TR Group meeting earlier this evening and we (the group members, that is) met a new group member. A lady driving a 3A, fully prepared (and heavily used!!) as rally car. This FIA approved car had a pair of nice fitting bucket seats in stead of the TRs originals. Cloth in the middle, vinyl on the sides and back.

Perhaps you can remember my queste for the ultimate solution. I eventually choose the original seats to be restored. But after a trial sit (fit) witht these bucket seat, I think I'll change my mind. Having said that, what's in your opinion -or experience for that matter- the max. width that will fit between the door and the tunnel.

Sparco, Corbeau are the seats everybody thinks about. I came across this seat on eBay.uk Seats on eBay Any experience? Mind you, that they don't look so nice is not a problem: I will have them recovered with the chocalate brown colour of my interior!

Menno

post-5266-1249121742_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1249121775_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1249121742_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1249121775_thumb.jpg

Oops....

I've just seen this thread.

I wasn't ignoring anyone!

Anyway, I do have the Revington Corbeau seats in my TR3. They are custom trimmed in green leather to match the rest of the car.

They do look good (well I think so anyway!) and are very comfy.

I've found some more to retrim for use in my TR4 rally car!

Rather than stick a tiny piccy on here, if you would like a photo emailed, pm me with an e-mail address.

David

I attended the annual Dutch Triumph Day yesterday. It was very, very wet on the way to the showground, so I decided to take the Saab. Anyway, there were some 3s and 3As with 'war paint' (ready for rallys). One had the same seats as Guiot's and the other had Revington's seats. They looked great, I admit!

The day was great, apart from the floods. Wearing wellies was a must. Some fine cars on the showground: Doretti, Peerless (the first one I've ever seen in the wild!), and dozens of 6s.

David I'll send you a PM with my email address for more pics!

Menno

• 2 weeks later...
These look like great value. Has anyone tried them?

http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/C-991-Classic.html

Andrew

I have tried them however not from this supplier.

But there are a number of suppliers around who sell basically the same type of seats for roughly the same price.

Look around on E-bay.

I bought a pair earlier this year but wasn't satisfied with the quality (what can you expect for this price).

The vinyl is very thin, and the internal frame is hardly protected, so the sides are not that comfortable.

Also carefully check the internal width. I bought the small ones, and they hardly fitted for me.

I wanted some support for my legs, so I had to tilt the seat. This resulted in a higher sitting position which I didn't like.

Anyway I sold them again, and I am still looking for an alternative.

Good luck,

Hi, I have the seats you see on the Midland's site. As said you can buy them from a lot of suppliers and they have got only cheaper over the last 5 years.

I have mine now for 4 years I guess. They look period style. This is an important aspect to me.

We went to the south of France, Schotland etc and every year drive a lot of regularity rally's. I must say so far I have been very pleased with the comfort and the fit of the seats. From safety point of view the seat holds the body firmly. I have tilted mine backwards to give more hold when braking. The seats in my rally car are fixed straight to the floorpans, of course with the necessary strengthening. The size of the seat are a perfect fit in a side screen car.

The only 2 negative points I found so far so far are the quality/safety of the head rests fixings (but compared to standard TR3 seats at least there is a head rest) and when using them with a rally harness, the fact that these seats have no slots for the lower belt. But for that price this seat is certainly the best choice.

After 4 years of pretty hard use the vinyl ist still intact and the seats look as new. However the foam of the seat cushions are feeling "worn" and are not so firm any more. So they are in need an upholstering. (But hey, for that price I maybe better of with buying a complete new seat.)

The best period seats are probably the ones from Ridgard (Rally or RS4). The highest priced ones as well I guess. These might be the same as Revington's. see http://www.ridgardseats.co.uk/PRODUCTS_RALLY.html

Best rgds, Rudi

Forgot to mention that I bought mine from Holden at the time. My believe is they are all "made by Corbeau" (Corbeau classic) some of them under private label.

Regards, Rudi