Hi Ivor,

looks a fair bit of detail stuff missing to me. It's obviously been damp, so the spaceframe will inevitably be rotted.

A Peerless needs a sunroof like a hole in the head, so that's a new roof - and the resulting stresses will have doubtless affected the body to the extent that the whole thing will need stripping, new gelcoat, new hinges glassing in, etc etc. Most of the interior will need replacing or at least major retrim. And presumably everything mechanical will need complete overhaul. Meanwhile the boot-mounted tank probably indicates rusted out sill fuel tanks.

I've no idea if it's worth $12K in the States, but shipped to UK or Europe it's going to equate to £10k+ before the cost of a complete rebuild.

Optimistic, at least as far as this side of the Atlantic is concerned . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

I've no idea if it's worth $12K in the States, but shipped to UK or Europe it's going to equate to £10k+ before the cost of a complete rebuild.

Optimistic, at least as far as this side of the Atlantic is concerned . . . .

The last line of the listing might be a killer: "Car will be sold with a bill of sale." This means that the seller does not have the state-issued document that confirms his/her ownership of the vehicle; in the US this document, the title, is the key for transferring ownership of a car. Getting a title for a vehicle that does not have one can either be quite simple or, more often, next to impossible, and without a title you may not be able to register the car. There is also the small matter of not being able to assure that the vehicle was not, at some point in its history, stolen, though more often titles are simply misplaced when an owner dies or when a car languishes in the back garden for years.

I'm no expert, but I would guess that lack of an ownership document would make the car very difficult to export as well; at the very least I would want solid legal advice on that before attempting it. It is very hard to transfer ownership of a car across state lines in the US without a title, so I would guess that international transfers would be at least as difficult. But again, I'm not an expert.

Hmmm, squinting closely at the photos, I can make out what looks like a warning label... yes, the lettering is very distinct... looks like it says "caveat emptor"...

Regards,

Vittorio

Hi Vittorio,

Connecticut is a "no Title" state for a vehicle of this age. Hence you do not need a title to register the car for the road. I know that there are other examples of this depending on where you are in the US. THe problem arises in states where a title is required. Still, I believe that you can get around this depending on who you are dealing with at the respective DMV (Registry Office). There is also a service offered in ?Alabama where a title can be "recreated."

As far as sending a vehicle outside the US I presume some proof ownership would be required.

Mike

Hi Vittorio,

Connecticut is a "no Title" state for a vehicle of this age. Hence you do not need a title to register the car for the road. I know that there are other examples of this depending on where you are in the US. THe problem arises in states where a title is required. Still, I believe that you can get around this depending on who you are dealing with at the respective DMV (Registry Office). There is also a service offered in ?Alabama where a title can be "recreated."

As far as sending a vehicle outside the US I presume some proof ownership would be required.

Mike

Thanks Mike, good points. A corollary to vehicle registration being handled at the state (as opposed to federal) level is that you have 50 different sets of registration rules to deal with. Some are looser than others, so there are services-- sometimes of dubious legality-- that promise to exploit loopholes in distant states to get you a title in your own state.

Connecticut does not require titles for older vehicles, and there are one or two other states where this is also true. But that may not wash with the authorities in another state if the buyer of the car were seeking to register this Peerless in a "title" state--if, say, I were to try to register this Peerless here in Texas. ("Where's yer title, pardner?") That's why Connecticut will in fact issue titles for antique/vintage cars... it just doesn't *require* them. A quibbling point, perhaps, but one can see how things could get very complicated.

Again, I'm no expert. I'm just trying to put out some warnings here in case any of you EU types were thinking of picking up this Peerless. Bottom line, talk to a lawyer with vehicle import/export expertise before you buy!

I'll shut up now...

Vittorio

looks a fair bit of detail stuff missing to me. It's obviously been damp, so the spaceframe will inevitably be rotted.

A Peerless needs a sunroof like a hole in the head, so that's a new roof - and the resulting stresses will have doubtless affected the body to the extent that the whole thing will need stripping, new gelcoat, new hinges glassing in, etc etc. Most of the interior will need replacing or at least major retrim. And presumably everything mechanical will need complete overhaul. Meanwhile the boot-mounted tank probably indicates rusted out sill fuel tanks.

The last line of the listing might be a killer: "Car will be sold with a bill of sale." This means that the seller does not have the state-issued document that confirms his/her ownership of the vehicle; in the US this document, the title, is the key for transferring ownership of a car. Getting a title for a vehicle that does not have one can either be quite simple or, more often, next to impossible, and without a title you may not be able to register the car.

Oik :o

A few pitfalls then. Have been vaguely contemplating a US import. Perhaps not such a good idea.

Ivor

Companies like International Title Service can get a Nevada title that can then be used to export a car. They need a notorized document stating that you are the rightful owner of the car, a small fee and specific vehicle info (vin# etc). They run a background check on the car (to see if its stolen) then issue a legitimate, legal Nevada State title.

I know because a friend uses this service for his export business (classic cars) - he exports 100+ cars/year. He'll buy on a bill of sale knowing he can get a title. Total turnaround time is about 2 weeks.

Just mentioning as paperwork shouldn't be a constraint to exporting a car....provided the transaction itself and the ownership of car is legitimate.

These Peerless seem pretty cool. Wouldn't be too sure about what the tank in the trunk means. I wouldn't want the fuel tank located right next to me!!

I wouldn't want the fuel tank located right next to me!!

The sill tanks are original fitment but did suffer badly from corrosion.

Stuart.

Hi Guys,

yea it does look like it's "all to do" :P

I think Alec's words of wisdom are about there, it will need a lot of work and one could be found this side of the pond without the shipping.

not one in my files so have printed off and submitted, thanks 88V8.

watch, wait and see ;)