Hi Jeremy,

yes you can but you will need the adaptors and the shorter studs for wires.

The steel wheel studs are too long and will stop the wires fitting properly (unless you have some 6mm spacers behind the adaptors.

Some of the wires have a greater offset and will make the tyres stick out a fraction more (not a problem though).

Roger

Hi All, just swapped my TR6 for a TR4A so please bear with me. Quick question if I may :

My TR4 is fitted with steel wheels, can I fit 5 1/2J wire wheels as there are some on the forum for sale ?

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Will you be keeping the old steel wheels? If not please drop me a line as I could do with a set.

Many thanks

Cheers

Darren

Hi All, just swapped my TR6 for a TR4A so please bear with me. Quick question if I may :

My TR4 is fitted with steel wheels, can I fit 5 1/2J wire wheels as there are some on the forum for sale ?

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Roger, thanks for the info and advice , greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Will you be keeping the old steel wheels? If not please drop me a line as I could do with a set.

Many thanks

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren, I will be keeping the steel wheels, sorry I can't help

Jeremy

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy - My wires may be for sale - they're on my TR4A - does that make them '5 1/2J's?

They were bought from MWS International in Feb 2008 (only a few hundred miles driven since) - they are 72 spoke and cost new £761.00.

They look virtually new.... I need to think about a price (unless you have an offer in mind)

PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my mobile no. for a chat. (PS the whitewall tyres are not for sale!)

John

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Several remarks:

1) spacers are one solutions. In the glory days, we resorted to sawing off excessive stud length and using the rounded bolts designed for wire hubs. Works OK, but no going back to steel wheels.

2) Why 5.5J ? Even 150 bhp TR5 came with 4.5J. Larger tyres will loose power through friction and won't bring any extra grip (ask me how I know).

This being said, 5.5J wires wheels have 72 spokes, a great improvement over 60 spokes in 4.5J .

My position is: install either wheels but if you insist on 5.5J to gain in rigidity, do not mount big tyres. Try the Vredestein sprint classic or Michelin XAs in 165.80.15 dimension. On 5.5J, these tyres have perfectly straight sides, no bulge, and behave beautifully.

Cheers,

Bafrog

Hi Jeremy - My wires may be for sale - they're on my TR4A - does that make them '5 1/2J's?

They were bought from MWS International in Feb 2008 (only a few hundred miles driven since) - they are 72 spoke and cost new £761.00.

They look virtually new.... I need to think about a price (unless you have an offer in mind)

PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my mobile no. for a chat. (PS the whitewall tyres are not for sale!)

John

Hi John

Are these wire wheels still available as I am about to purchase a set of 72 spokes for my TR 4a

Tim Miles