Has anyone fitted an oil cooler below the internal platform of the front apron? The reasons I want to do this are:

there is not enough room to fit both a push type kenlowe fan and a thirteen row oil cooler (stack height 15 inches) both against the radiator in the 11" of height available.

I don't want to remove the mechanical fan and fit a pull type fan behind the radiator as I had the crank assembly balanced with the mechanical fan and extension and i don't want to upset the engine balance

I also want the backup of the mechanical fan in the event that the electric fan fails

I want to fit both oil cooler and electric fan because i am planning to take the TR3A on a tour of europe in August which might involve sustained autoroute driving plus i aniticipate being caught in traffic jams which causes the TR to over heat when relying just on the mechanical fan.

If the oil cooler can be fitted underneath against the radiator, will i need to cut a slot in the lower valance to allow air flow to the oil cooler and is there a grille fitting kit available to protect from stone damage?

I've considered the option too, but I dropped it because I think that a TR doesn't really need an oil cooler in normal traffic. But, perhaps you have other thoughts on that. Having said that, I tried to think about pitfalls when installing the o/cooler.

Given the fact that it's fairly easily damaged, I think that it's wise to protect it as much as possible: some kind of skid plate on the under side, and some kind of chicken wire mesh in front of the cooler to avoid stones to go through the cooler.

And make sure you use braided hose from and to the oil cooler!

I think there's one in Roger William's 'How to improve...' book too.

Menno

Yes Arthur, we have sustained summer temps over 100 degrees, and no engine overheating problems with just an electric fan fitted, providing the system is in good condition and has the correct skirted thermostat. It's more often the driver calls it quits before the car does !!.

Despite debate, electric fans work well as a pusher hidden behind the grille of a 3A, providing you get one with thin blades.

The TR engine is actually more efficient when it runs hotter rather than colder, and today's oils are designed for emission controlled engines that run quite hot.

Oil coolers are more a racing or heavy towing application, and the old straight vane and tube ones weren't very efficient anyway.

If you must, I'd suggest a modern type with vanes at 45 degrees so the airflow is slowed down, and therefore extracts more heat from the oil. I've seen an auto tranny fluid cooler fitted under the front guard, in front of the wheel, for better stone safetly. (non TR)

These come in either screw or hose clip types, and I'd feel safer with the screw fittings and braided lines.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Regards,

Viv.

I fitted an oil cooler a few years ago and at the same time fitted an oil temp. gauge with the sender in the sump. Big Mistake!!! I should have just fitted the temp gauge & ran for a while to check the oil temp. under various conditions - I'm not doing any racing. Bottom line is that now I run with the oil cooler matrix completely blanked off, both sides, with a piece of aluminium sheet cut into a U section. Even in this state I rarely see over 50 deg C on long runs. Normal pottering about it stays at 30/40 deg C. I'm on the verge of ripping the lot out! I agree with Viv, it needs to be up around 100-110 deg C ideally....

To quote A. Graham Bell's book, "4 stroke Performance Tuning in Theory and Practice" :-

"Before you decide on an oil cooler for a road machine, be sure you really need one. Fit an oil temperature gauge and determine your oil operating temperature in mid-summer. If under normal driving conditions your oil temperature is in excess of 110 deg. C, fit an oil cooler. However, if it stays around 100-110 deg C and climbs to 120 deg C only when you run at full throttle for quite a few miles, you will be wasting your time and causing yourself unnecessary trouble by fitting an oil cooler."

Too right!! Oil weeping from the joints etc etc.

Hi Arthur,

Everyones valid comments aside, if you still want to fit an oil radiator, you may consider as I have done. Mount it vertically to the left hand side of the main radiator (near side). Both radiators remain in the air flow and the ducting can easily be cut to fit around the oil radiator. Good luck!

Cheers, peterm

Hi Arthur,

Everyones valid comments aside, if you still want to fit an oil radiator, you may consider as I have done. Mount it vertically to the left hand side of the main radiator (near side). Both radiators remain in the air flow and the ducting can easily be cut to fit around the oil radiator. Good luck!

Cheers, peterm

Hi Peter- Sounds intriguing- any chance of your attaching some snaps? Thanks-Kevin

Hi Peter- Sounds intriguing- any chance of your attaching some snaps? Thanks-Kevin

on both my tr 2&3 race cars i have oil coolers mounted under the mouth oF the apron without a hole cut in the lower valance for air flow. a simple bracket located on the radiator to chassis mounting fixing then the cooler hung from this,it clears the antiroll bar ,for protection they both have a simple mesh grill to protect them from gravel etc. on the 3B i have cut a vent slot in the valance below the grill ,havent noticed any difference in cooling between cars.I would agree though that it is probably not a requirement for an oil cooler for road use.As previously said if worried fit a temp gauge to check thing out first.

As for cooling i have taken my standard road 3 over all the high mountain roads in europe in the summer ,just the standard fan and found it all quite OK.

hope this helps ROY