ENGINE SITTING TO HIGH IN CHASSIS???

<_< The engine appears to be sitting high on the front mounts so that the thermostat outlet is 3/4" above the rad inlet pipe

I have checked the chassis dimensions, the engine mounts are correct,the front plate is correct, currently the engine mounts are sitting in the chassis with just 1/4" steel packers which brings everything in line.

At this point the front of the engine is sitting 1/2" high compared to the chassis when you put a spirt level on both,I can modify the front plate but would like to know if:

a) i actually have a problem

b)or its just me being paranoid

Any out there give me some idea's and/or a dimension from the chassis to a datum point on the engine from a car that is correct, so can check mine

regards adrian

<_< The engine appears to be sitting high on the front mounts so that the thermostat outlet is 3/4" above the rad inlet pipe

I have checked the chassis dimensions, the engine mounts are correct,the front plate is correct, currently the engine mounts are sitting in the chassis with just 1/4" steel packers which brings everything in line.

At this point the front of the engine is sitting 1/2" high compared to the chassis when you put a spirt level on both,I can modify the front plate but would like to know if:

a) i actually have a problem

b)or its just me being paranoid

Any out there give me some idea's and/or a dimension from the chassis to a datum point on the engine from a car that is correct, so can check mine

regards adrian

Is your thermostat cover on upside down by any chance? See Moss catalogue page 23 item 13.

See also page 22 of the Moss catalogue, items 66 and 84 are packers placed under the radiator mounts to line it up with the top hose.

Regards,

Richard.

Adrian

You ought to check the gap between the bottom of the bulkhead where the battery sits and the top of the gearbox bellhousing .... if there is more than say 1cm, then the gearbox mount is not correct - this would have the effect of tilting the whole engine / gearbox assembly backwards (this assumes of course that the bulkhead / floors etc. are in the right place and the body mounts on the chassis correctly.

This is a know problem if the car is not 'square'.

Also, consider the body mounting of the inner tub ..... you will need to carry out some judicious use of body spacers if this basic element isnt correct .... did you replace the floors and sills ?

Regards

Tony

...the engine mounts are correct,the front plate is correct, currently the engine mounts are sitting in the chassis with just 1/4" steel packers which brings everything in line.

Are you sure you have the correct engine front plate, engine mounts and gearbox mount combination for whatever engine you actually have in the car? All these varied between TR2-3A and TR4/4A, so if the engine is not original, then you may need to change some of these items.

Edited by BrianC

Adrian,

If you can manage to thread the fan belt between the cross tube and the fan extension then I would think the engine is sitting too high there is normally less than 10mm or so gap (there is on the 4a and I think the other 4 cyls cars are the same

Regards

Dale

adrian

I think you will find that you have the wrong engine mounts

One of the lads in the leicster group had the same problem

His engine had been sitting high for ages we compered it with mine and found

his mounting blocks were a lot thicker

Cheers good luck Reg

Thanks for all your replies i wll check these out

in the mean time could some one give me a dimension from where the stat housing bolts on to the head down to the steering rack cross member as another check

thanks adrian

adrian

I think you will find that you have the wrong engine mounts

One of the lads in the leicster group had the same problem

His engine had been sitting high for ages we compered it with mine and found

his mounting blocks were a lot thicker

Cheers good luck Reg

Hello Adrian,

I am the "lad" from the Leicester Group who for years had an engine that sat too high in my very late TR4 chassis. I could not uinderstand when Reg and others,complained bitterly when they had to change fan belts and mine went in without any jacking under the sump.

It was not until I fitted an alloy rocker cover to replace the shiney chrome, but twisted original, that I realised something was wrong. Whatever I did, I could not stop it hitting the underside of the bonnet.

Putting a straight edge across the top of the wings and measuring the vertical drop to the highest point on the thermostat housing showed my engine was almost 1" (25mm) higher than that in the TR4A of Reg.

New mounts to replace the older but still in good condition ones were the answer.

Before you do this, remember it may be worth replacing the fan belt first!

Good luck

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adrian,

On my 1962 TR4 the thermostat housing, like yours, is higher than the inlet to the top tank of the radiator to such an extent that a standard hose will not fit. Also the hole in the radiator for the starting handle does not line up with the crank. I tried raising the radiator but it would have made contact with underside of the bonnet. However I noticed on another TR4 that the inlet to the radiator was postioned higher on the top tank (ie on the top). Whereas on my radiator the inlet pipe was more centrally mounted to the tank. This led me to believe that maybe the radiator was from a TR3.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards,

Andy