Hi Guys & Gals, My TR3A keeps jumping out of 2nd gear on over-run (downhill). I have followed a couple of threads on the forum and increased the spring pressure on the selector rods but the problem still exists. Another thread suggested that it might be bearing Pt No 105629 but this is a gear wheel. Does it mean bearing http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProd...ndexID=2002#top Pt No 129939 this looks fairly beefy and I would not think it was prone to breakage. The gearbox was overhauled by a Triumph trained motor engineer about 10,000 miles ago. First I am going to drain the gearbox and check for any metal particles. Another possibility is my choice of gear oil. As I have an 'A' type overdrive fitted I use Millers Green Gear Oil 90: Mineral gear oil, without EP additives. For classic, applications exceeding GL1, Contains anti-wear, anti-corrosion additives but without the EP additives which can harm yellow metals. Perhaps I should change this? Some say that if it is not seen to it will have 'catastrophic' results. Is there any early indication of when this might happen? I plan to get to Malvern this year, a round trip of 1,400 miles, and do not know whether to rip the gearbox to bits or chance it. Any advice would be appreciated. Amicalament Peterc

Under the specific conditions that you describe, my gear lever slips out of second to neutral in my 1958 TR3A. I also have overdrive and have used Valvoline 20W50 (Racing) engine oil in my gearbox/overdrive for 19 years. I don't worry about it. I just motor on. I wouldn't pull the gearbox before Malvern. If you are still suffering from this "problem" next winter, do it then - if you still feel that you must do it at all.

If you drain the oil now and see a few golden flakes or black "dust" mixed with the oil, what will that tell you ? Nothing. We see that all the time.

In the meantime, when going downhill in 2nd gear under deceleration, hold the gear stick in place with you hand.

To me, it's not a problem.

Edited by Don Elliott
  • 7 years later...

Hi Peter,

if you have an overdrive gearbox in your sidescreen TR you should be using a 20w50 grade oil as Don has mentioned above.

I use Millers Veteran & Vintage Classic Performance 20w50 oil in my o/drive gearbox on my 3A. I use the same oil in my 3A engine too.

A non-overdrive 2/3/3A/4 gearbox should use a 90 grade oil, same as rear axle oil.

Hope this helps...

Happy TR-ing,

Pat

... so, you are saying that this is NOT a problem with one of the gears that needs changing, right?

And what are the standard parts that go in the middle f the split column? Thre is the adapter, and what else? Do the bushes go here?

Camilo

Edited by qim

... so, you are saying that this is NOT a problem with one of the gears that needs changing, right?

And what are the standard parts that go in the middle f the split column? Thre is the adapter, and what else? Do the bushes go here?

Camilo

How many miles are on this gearbox ?. If it is well over 60,000 it is probably time for an overhaul anyway. A fractured top hat bush is a common failure point that leads to 2nd popping out but there are a few other causes if this is an otherwise low mileage gearbox.

I would leave the steering column questions to the ongoing thread that you started rather than muddle things up in this thread.

Stan

Hi Stan

Yes, you are right about the steering. Not sure how it got there....

Could you tell me what else could be the cause for the 2nd to pop out?

The gearbox must be over 60k miles, and it was overhauled recently in mileage terms, but if I remember well there was one gear that was not available and I got a second-hand one. Maybe that could be the problem but if you tell me what else could be I will investigate prices and speak to my mechanic before the car gets dismantled.

Thanks

Hi Stan

Yes, you are right about the steering. Not sure how it got there....

Could you tell me what else could be the cause for the 2nd to pop out?

The gearbox must be over 60k miles, and it was overhauled recently in mileage terms, but if I remember well there was one gear that was not available and I got a second-hand one. Maybe that could be the problem but if you tell me what else could be I will investigate prices and speak to my mechanic before the car gets dismantled.

Thanks

Take a look at this thread. This is a common problem across all of the TR range and there are a variety of remedies depending on the cause of the problem - tophat, synchro ring, detent spring, oil, carpet etc.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/58544-gearbox-pops-out-of-2nd-gear-when-deccelerating/?p=485881

Stan