Hi Vittorio,

you might this page helpful

http://www.doretti.co.uk/tech-02.htm

from the angle of the sides this looks like a later screen, but that may only be distortion by the camera lens being set to wide angle.

The corner chips are not encouraging, it's bad enough trying to get the later screens to fit into frames without starting with chipped corners. Maybe a 25% chance at best of fitting the screen without it cracking further ? From the chips it must be a laminated screen, and they're harder to fit than a toughened screen. I'd be surprised if that box is 1950s box from WP Fuller, it looks perhaps more like 60s or early 70s style ?

I'd also want to make damn sure it really is a Doretti screen before parting with money - there were 3 or 4 other British screens of the 1950s that are within 1/2" of the Doretti dimensions, between the early and late screens that is.

Cheers,

Alec

you might this page helpful

http://www.doretti.co.uk/tech-02.htm

Thanks for the link, Alec; I had a hazy memory of reading that page before.

I emailed Pilkingtons a year or two ago re Doretti 'screens, and never had a response from them. Does anyone know if they are still able(/willing) to reproduce the early Doretti windshields, and what the cost might be these days?

Regards,

Vittorio

I emailed Pilkingtons a year or two ago re Doretti 'screens, and never had a response from them. Does anyone know if they are still able(/willing) to reproduce the early Doretti windshields, and what the cost might be these days?

Regards,

Vittorio

It might be an idea to talk to Jeff Marks at Moss London 0208 867 2020 as he has been involved with the reproduction of the surrey rear screens and knows the glass manufacturers well.

Stuart.

Regards,

Vittorio

Both early and late windscreens are available via Uroglas in Bromsgrove.

http://www.uroglas.com/contact.html Stuart is the man I have been dealing with there.

The later screens are also available via National Windscreens. My local branch is in Northampton and the guy there is very helpful.

Pilkingtons have a former for the later screens and the price comes in at about £200. To produce the earlier screens an extension needs to be made to the later screen mould to accommodate the large earlier screen which bumped the price up to about £300

There were some French made windscreens floating about but one of these I removed from an early re-glassed Doretti a couple of years ago was only 4.5mm thick.

The next problem is screen rubbers but a company over in the States can run off the profile required.

Nigel Wilcox I heard has maybe got this in hand ??

Regards

Paul Webb

• 1 month later...

I thought it might be worth noting that the Doretti windscreen sold at the Buy-It-Now price of US$500-- so obviously someone did not read this forum before clicking the Buy button!

More recently, a fine condition Doretti nose badge sold for around US$275. Not cheap, but find another! Hopefully it went to someone who will actually mount it on one of the cars, rather than just putting it on the shelf... though I am as guilty of hoarding fun stuff as anyone.

Regards,

Vittorio