water leak from heater pipe

Hi all

While out on Sunday for a drive around the south downs the 4 decided to dump some of its water, on inspection today i have found that the solid pipe from the rear of the water pump housing has cracked about 1" back from the union connection. The pipe runs along the side of the block around the back of the engine where it connects to one of the heater hoses.

It looks like the poor old thing is suffering metal fatigue, as it looks quite thin walled i am not sure if it would weld.

Any idea"s where i might get a replacement or has anyone out there had one repaired.

Cheers for any help Phil..

Hi Phil

Pipe in question is :- item 208606 PIPE, pump housing to bulkhead Available from Moss etc

Regards

Dale

I'm not sure these are still readily available as I've seen a few replaced with a bit of domestic copper tubing (15mm?) with soldered elbow - either way, you'll also need the olive for the connection to the water pump housing.

Edited by badshead
Hi all

While out on Sunday for a drive around the south downs the 4 decided to dump some of its water, on inspection today i have found that the solid pipe from the rear of the water pump housing has cracked about 1" back from the union connection. The pipe runs along the side of the block around the back of the engine where it connects to one of the heater hoses.

It looks like the poor old thing is suffering metal fatigue, as it looks quite thin walled i am not sure if it would weld.

Any idea"s where i might get a replacement or has anyone out there had one repaired.

Cheers for any help Phil..

Phil,

I have a new and unsued water pipe - pump to bulkhead.

If interested send me a P.M. with your e-mail and I can send you photos etc.

Regards, Richard ;)

They usually turn up from the people who do stainless master cylinder blocks etc. Always at International etc. But as already noted they do need a bit of fettling to get the right shape and are a pain to fit over the rear manifold stud and get the pipe far enough into the housing to get the nut to squash the olive up! :blink: If you are replacing with copper pipe dont forget to swage ( or compress another olive on to) the end were the rubber heater hose fits as otherwise they will slip off under pressure.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

And make sure the pipe is supported at the point where it passes the Number 4 exhaust manifold stud, else it will be moving whenever the engine moves (i.e. all the time) and will leak at the joint to the pump. The standard article has a small bracket at this point.

Ian Cornish

Phil,

I have a new and unsued water pipe - pump to bulkhead.

If interested send me a P.M. with your e-mail and I can send you photos etc.

Regards, Richard ;)

Hi Richard

Have been offered a pipe from Bob waiting to see how far away to post it, will be in touch if i need it .

Thanks again Phil..

Hi Stuart,

to aid fitting the pipe bracket onto the rear manifold bolt, cut the bracket across the attachment hole so that you end up with a 'D' shape this way it simply slips into position under the spring washer. I know it is not a great engineering answer but does work.

The other way is to remove the bracket altogether and have a seperate clip arrangement to hold the pipe to the manifold stud.

Roger

' also a friend of mine says he can braize the pipe instead of weld which will not get too hot'

these pipes can simply be soldered!

cheers

John.

Hi all

Have got a pipe coming from Bob and will keep repaired one as a spare thanks again for all the help

Phil