DashTop and surrounding Trim

Hi Guys

Due to age and sunlight the trim around my dashboard is showing its age whith the odd crack and scratch on the vinyl spoiling the looks so I decided that instead of buying the remanufactured dash top and crash pads who's quality is dubious that I would have them retrimmed in leather (black) including the H-Section on the gearbox.

Problem is the quotes I have had to do this seem high topping around the £500.00 mark which does seem rather a lot although I suspect the quality would be very good.

I was wondering if anyone has had this done on their dash-top and surrounds recently and what would be a fair price to pay.

Could anyone recommend a good trimmer that I could use - I live in the Portsmouth Hampshire area.

Thanks very much

Rei-Trim in Curdridge http://www.rei-trim.com/ (on the road from Botley to Bishop's Waltham). Again, not cheap, but very good work. No connection other than satisfied customer.

Kevin

Before you commit to having it trimmed in leather,at great expense!!

Have a good look at some cars that have been done,and ask yourself this! ;)

" can I live with seeing all that stitching!! :blink:"

You can get excellent - very good original s/h dash tops,H frames,switch plinths and crash pads,they just need searching out!

I got a near mint original 'H' frame for £70 inc p.p from TR Trader,a mint original switch plinth off ebay for £5, very good crash pads can be got for £5-£20 each,and apparently the TR factory in the US do an excellent repro dash top and H frame replacement cover to near original spec!! if you cant find an original!!

Depends on what you want your car to look like at the end of the day!!

You will either like it or loathe it!!!

I personally couldnt live with all that stitching, and preferred to go for the best original unrestored look I could find!! ;)

Edited by PILKIE

Hi,

Have you tried..

http://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html

They describe the Trim as "Original and Best Quality Foam Filled and Moulded"

I have no experience of them, but they sound correct as oppossed to other offerings i have seen which are solid hard plastic

Worth a call.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Hi,

Have you tried..

I have no experience of them, but they sound correct as oppossed to other offerings i have seen which are solid hard plastic

Worth a call.

Cheers

Guy

I Guy,

I purchased a set of these pads from the TR Shop and am very happy with them..Quality is really good.

Tony

I Guy,

I purchased a set of these pads from the TR Shop and am very happy with them..Quality is really good.

Tony

I bought my H frame/console cover from them, not the cheapest, but as Tony says they're good (as is the case with all the stuff I've had from the TR Shop).

Hi,

I've been looking into trimmers in the Portsmouth area as well, I need to get my dashtop & crash pads re-trimmed in vinyl.

A company called Portchester Trimmers have been recommended to me but I haven't been into see them about prices etc.

They did a couple of bits in the past for my uncle mainly on his TR4 & they also fitted a soft top to his golf, he certainly seemed happy enough with the job.

Mark

To get the dashtop done properly means removing the windscreen frame. The TR Shop ones are pretty much the best that you will find anywhere in terms of the grain (Very similar to original) and fit as well. Granted expensive but I think you would be hard pressed to find a trimmer that would recover for similar price that would still look original.

Stuart

Hi,

Have you tried..

Worth a call.

Cheers

Guy

I ordered some door-tops for my 6 @ Rimmers. How suprised I was when finding out they were indeed not the foam filled but rather plastic ones. So almost GBP 90 spend on something I don't want. (anyone there who wants them for 35GBP + shipping?)

I ordered some door-tops for my 6 @ Rimmers. How suprised I was when finding out they were indeed not the foam filled but rather plastic ones. So almost GBP 90 spend on something I don't want. (anyone there who wants them for 35GBP + shipping?)

Send them back as not fit for purpose. TR Shop ones are as close to original as you can get although expensive they do fit and look correct.

Stuart.

Ok, I need a replacement H frame for my 6 and do not want a, frankly, ridiculous looking leather trimmed one.

Are people saying that there is a modern alternative (not replacement) to the original H frame?

Or does anyone know where I can get a good 2nd hand one?

Ok, I need a replacement H frame for my 6 and do not want a, frankly, ridiculous looking leather trimmed one.

Are people saying that there is a modern alternative (not replacement) to the original H frame?

Or does anyone know where I can get a good 2nd hand one?

TR Shop 02089956621 do a very good retrim cover for the "H" frames as per original and they can probably supply you a good second hand frame to go with it.

Stuart.

TR Shop 02089956621 do a very good retrim cover for the "H" frames as per original and they can probably supply you a good second hand frame to go with it.

Stuart.

I can vouch for the fact that the TR shop H frame covers are superb. Near as dammit like the original .Fitted with care they will satisfy most people and look far nicer than the stitched ones. But, each to his own!

Rodney.

Yes, fitting couldn't be easier. Just clean off all the crud from the previous cover, fit to frame and attach flaps to the inside of the frame with duck tape - no glue involved!

Any idea on cost?

J

Hi Chaps

I have to chime in here

I had door trims from either Moss or Rimmers. Hard plastic did not remotely fit absolute cr*p. However

this was in the days when i wasnt a register member :o and the chaps who were working on my car had removed my

cracked original, so i had no option but to fit them myself. They look sh1t. I cant wait to get rid.

Having seen some of the Tr Shop stuff i think thats the way i will go.

I had looked at custom leather covering to dash top , boottom crash pads and door toops and H frame , to keep

them all looking the same. But decided that if you cover the top crash pad with leather, and i did on a spare, it looks to heavy.

So will keep to original as best i can. Which means most probably Tr Shop.

Am still toying with new dash and wood trims for doors, although my dash is walnut, i want a good match.

Hope this may help, maybe or maybe not just my humble opinion.

Cheers

Guy

It aint cheap, but what is in Classics

Edited by Jersey Royal