TR4 Headlight Flasher

Hi,

I would like to fit an headlamp flasher to my TR4, but not being a vehicle electrician I would be grateful if some 'switched-on' person would be kind enough to explain what I need, and where it's fitted. BTW, the car is negative earth powered by alternator, and doesn't have any relays fitted to any circuit.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

I assume since you don't say that you do not have a lighting stalk on the column, and in which case there are a few options.

1. Use a TR4A lighting stalk which does have the flasher facility and wire this in (not too difficult)

2. Fit a flasher stalk from some other vehicle

3. Fit a suitable switch in the dash area.

In each case the wiring is pretty much the same.

I show a circuit without a relay, which requires a switch that can handle at least 25Amps, but a relay version is also easy to fit. (The relay would handle the 25Amps and the switch about 1 Amp).

If you want a diagram for the relay, let me know

TT

Hi,

I would like to fit an headlamp flasher to my TR4, but not being a vehicle electrician I would be grateful if some 'switched-on' person would be kind enough to explain what I need, and where it's fitted. BTW, the car is negative earth powered by alternator, and doesn't have any relays fitted to any circuit.

Thanks

Phil

Edited by tthomson
Hi Phil,

I assume since you don't say that you do not have a lighting stalk on the column, and in which case there are a few options.

1. Use a TR4A lighting stalk which does have the flasher facility and wire this in (not too difficult)

2. Fit a flasher stalk from some other vehicle

3. Fit a suitable switch in the dash area.

In each case the wiring is pretty much the same.

I show a circuit without a relay, which requires a switch that can handle at least 25Amps, but a relay version is also easy to fit. (The relay would handle the 25Amps and the switch about 1 Amp).

If you want a diagram for the relay, let me know

TT

Thanks for that Tony - It looks very straightforward! I intend to use a dash mounted switch but would prefer to include a relay if you could send me the detail for that also.

Cheers

Phil

Just to add a little extra spice to this thread, in my TR3A and Lynda's TR4A, I would like to be able to fit a dash-mounted dip/flasher switch in addition to the existing floor mounted dip-switch. Is it possible, presumably using some clever piece of electronics, to do this and use either switch for dipping?

Hi Brian,

Yes it is possible, just give me a couple of days to work through the options.

TT

Just to add a little extra spice to this thread, in my TR3A and Lynda's TR4A, I would like to be able to fit a dash-mounted dip/flasher switch in addition to the existing floor mounted dip-switch. Is it possible, presumably using some clever piece of electronics, to do this and use either switch for dipping?

Hi Phil,

Will send it in an hour or so.

TT

Thanks for that Tony - It looks very straightforward! I intend to use a dash mounted switch but would prefer to include a relay if you could send me the detail for that also.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Relay version attached

Using a relay gives a lot more flexibility for the switches you use. Almost any switch will handle the relay current.

TT

Cheers

Phil

Edited by tthomson

Hi Bill,

I use Xara Xtreme version 4 for these diagrams (link to Xara Xtreme). The price is excellent, ignore the US pricing and in your face approach, they are a british company and you can generally download their software at very good prices. I have been very happy with their software. Look under the Company tab on the link page for their background.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Brilliant circuit diagrams - what software are you using?

For your information, Revington sells a brilliant switch which can be mounted on the dash and requires only a few millimetres movement IN ANY DIRECTION to operate whatever circuit you wish to hang on it (electrically, of course) - it should be used in conjunction with a relay to avoid burning the contact surface. It's very similar to the switches used in 1962 for the headlamp flasher on the Works TR4s, all of which switches still work wonderfully well. Not cheap (well, Neil has to make a living!), but by far the best you will find for this duty. I use one to operate the Revington Overdrive Logic Box.

Ian Cornish

Hi Phil,

Relay version attached

Using a relay gives a lot more flexibility for the switches you use. Almost any switch will handle the relay current.

TT

Thanks a lot Tony! It's made the job a pleasure.

Phil

Hi TT,

As you seem to know your electrics (which I find a mystery) what about the wiring for a power socket (for using a sat nav)

for my Tr4a which is neg earth with an alternator?

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but I am sure this would be of great use to many people who use their cars abroad.

Although my car is a 4a it does not have the stalk light switch but a dash mounted knob as the 4 so your info on the seperate flasher will come in most handy.

Many thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

Adding a power socket is relatively straightforward. Just remember that the inner connector is live and the outer earthed. I can always draw up a suitable diagram. if you want.

What are you trying to do with the lighting/flasher arrangement? Brian was looking to have a dash mounted dip/main switch working in conjunction with a floor mounted dip/main switch. Is that what you are trying to achieve or are you looking to add a headlamp flashing facility?

The diagram I sent Brian is attached

Regards

TT

Hi TT,

As you seem to know your electrics (which I find a mystery) what about the wiring for a power socket (for using a sat nav)

for my Tr4a which is neg earth with an alternator?

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but I am sure this would be of great use to many people who use their cars abroad.

Although my car is a 4a it does not have the stalk light switch but a dash mounted knob as the 4 so your info on the seperate flasher will come in most handy.

Many thanks Babs

Edited by tthomson

Hi TT,

All I want to do is add a dash mounted headlight flasher and leave the floor mounted unit as it is,so I guess your previous diagram with relay would be the one to use.

As far as the addition of a power socket is concerned I would very much appreciate a diagram showing the correct wiring,including any relays or fuses you think necessary.

Many thanks for your kind help Babs

Hi Babs,

The attached diagram shows the wiring for a power socket.

The ground wire is typically screwed to a convenient point on the car bodywork via a ring connector and self tapping screw.

Good luck

TT

Hi TT,

All I want to do is add a dash mounted headlight flasher and leave the floor mounted unit as it is,so I guess your previous diagram with relay would be the one to use.

As far as the addition of a power socket is concerned I would very much appreciate a diagram showing the correct wiring,including any relays or fuses you think necessary.

Many thanks for your kind help Babs