DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD THE OTHER DAY, WHEN ONCOMING CARS KEPT FLASHING THEIR LIGHTS AT ME. THOUGHT THEY WERE BEING FRIENDLY, AND WAVED BACK. ON ARRIVING HOME I FOUND THAT THE WINKERS WHEN THE SWITCH WAS TURNED IN EITHER DIRECTION FLASHED ON ALL FOUR LIGHTS. I HAVE CHANGED THE FLASHER UNIT, STILL THE SAME. THE SWITCH IS SOUND AS I HAVE TESTED THIS. HAVE CHECKED THE EARTHS, SEEM OK. ANY IDEAS, SEEMS TO BE GETTING POWER FROM SOMEWHERE. AM DRIVING WITH HAND SIGNALS AT THE MOMENT BUT QUITE DANGEROUS, AS THE BOY RACERS DON'T UNDERSTAND.

DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD THE OTHER DAY, WHEN ONCOMING CARS KEPT FLASHING THEIR LIGHTS AT ME. THOUGHT THEY WERE BEING FRIENDLY, AND WAVED BACK. ON ARRIVING HOME I FOUND THAT THE WINKERS WHEN THE SWITCH WAS TURNED IN EITHER DIRECTION FLASHED ON ALL FOUR LIGHTS. I HAVE CHANGED THE FLASHER UNIT, STILL THE SAME. THE SWITCH IS SOUND AS I HAVE TESTED THIS. HAVE CHECKED THE EARTHS, SEEM OK. ANY IDEAS, SEEMS TO BE GETTING POWER FROM SOMEWHERE. AM DRIVING WITH HAND SIGNALS AT THE MOMENT BUT QUITE DANGEROUS, AS THE BOY RACERS DON'T UNDERSTAND.

First of all, please don't shout. The use of all uppercase is equivalent to shouting. We can hear you.

You need to do a basic check of your wiring. Get yourself a service manual and check the circuit to and from the flasher and lights.

First of all, please don't shout. The use of all uppercase is equivalent to shouting. We can hear you.

You need to do a basic check of your wiring. Get yourself a service manual and check the circuit to and from the flasher and lights.

DID FRANK J ANGELINI GET OUT OF THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED THIS MORNING? :lol:

Roy

I would have thought the only place this fault could occur would be the flasher unit or the indicateur head or wiring in the stator tube as thats the only common point for the 2 sides .

If it is not the flasher unit itself then you have a short somewhere. Remove the unit then measure across the 2 feeds to the flashers with a mulitmeter set to Ohms. The circuit should be open. If you have a short or a low resistance the only way to sort it is to keep disconnecting things till it disappears.

Renember to put the indicators on before doing your measures with the battry disconnected.

Study the wiring diagram in depth before you start. One place that it could be could be in the wiring from the indicator switch where it passes down the stator tube if it is original its quite likely the insulation has come off the wires and a couple have shorted.

Cheers

Alan

Looking at the circuit diagram this fault can only be, as sugessted earlier,in the loom in the stator tube or the contacts in the control head, there is a good description of how to dismantle the control head written by an Australian member somewhere on the forum,also describes how to remove loom and stator tube, ps dont keep all four flashers going for long or the unit will burn out. Good luck.

Hi Frank.

Sorry about the setting in caps but I find it easier to see. I have a wiring diagram and all the necessary meters etc. I just wondered if anyone had a quick fix, as it happened very so quickly!

Regards Roy

Roy

I would have thought the only place this fault could occur would be the flasher unit or the indicateur head or wiring in the stator tube as thats the only common point for the 2 sides .

If it is not the flasher unit itself then you have a short somewhere. Remove the unit then measure across the 2 feeds to the flashers with a mulitmeter set to Ohms. The circuit should be open. If you have a short or a low resistance the only way to sort it is to keep disconnecting things till it disappears.

Renember to put the indicators on before doing your measures with the battry disconnected.

Study the wiring diagram in depth before you start. One place that it could be could be in the wiring from the indicator switch where it passes down the stator tube if it is original its quite likely the insulation has come off the wires and a couple have shorted.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your advice. very helpful. On my car I have a three way switch which works the flashers. The car has rack and pinion and so by passes the original steering. The three way switch is fine as I have tested this. I shall have to test the circuit for shorts etc.

Regards,

Roy

Looking at the circuit diagram this fault can only be, as sugessted earlier,in the loom in the stator tube or the contacts in the control head, there is a good description of how to dismantle the control head written by an Australian member somewhere on the forum,also describes how to remove loom and stator tube, ps dont keep all four flashers going for long or the unit will burn out. Good luck.

Hi Norman,

Thanks for advice, I haven't got a control head, only a three way switch, which I have checked and found OK. The car has R and P steering and the control head is only on there for effect.

Regards,

Roy

Hi Frank.

Sorry about the setting in caps but I find it easier to see. I have a wiring diagram and all the necessary meters etc. I just wondered if anyone had a quick fix, as it happened very so quickly!

Regards Roy

Hi Roy, totally sympathize re the font size, I was just looking at the latest TR Action magazine the other day and wondering where my magnifying glass was as the font was not just small but also less contrasting in this issue compared to others so it was a challenge to read it.

One thing you can do with your browser is increase the rendered font size by holding down the control key and pressing the + key. This will let you blow up the text to a comfortable size for you without affecting the reader settings. I just did that for this reply and I am seeing huge text but it should render normally for you.

text-sample.jpg

Stan

Hi Roy,

With the changes to the wiring that you allude to, solving your flashing problem will require a diagram of what wiring is there. Even if hand drawn and scanned (or digitally photographed).

I think I know where the problem is, but without a diagram, it could be completely different to what I expect.

As you rightly identified, it will probably be a simple fault once we can view the wiring diagram.

Regards

TT

Hi Roy,

With the changes to the wiring that you allude to, solving your flashing problem will require a diagram of what wiring is there. Even if hand drawn and scanned (or digitally photographed).

I think I know where the problem is, but without a diagram, it could be completely different to what I expect.

As you rightly identified, it will probably be a simple fault once we can view the wiring diagram.

Regards

TT

Hi Roy,

If you have a meter then locating the problem shouldn't be too difficult First thing is to ascertain the wiring is reasonably standard. With the ignition on and indicators off, measure the voltage between the chassis and the different tags on the flasher unit. I would imagine that you find 2 of them reading 12 Volts. Don't leave the ignition on for long unless you disconnect the ignition coil or ensure the points are open.

If this is the case, measure the voltage between chassis and each of the 3 wires (I trust there are 3!) on your indicator switch and you should find 1 of them has 12V on it. Let me know idf this is the case.

Graham