Can I paint my 3A red ?

This is a nice dark shade of BRG.

Stuart

Edited by stuart
Nice car(s)..is that your garage Stuart?....tidy eh?

Tony

I wish! Its a dealers in Germany!

Stuart

Hello All

Only slightly off topic. Anyone have paint codes for Dark BRG? I am shopping for a new color (my wife won't approve of the factory light yellow) for my TR3A. In my view, nothing beats BRG with a honey tan interior. If anyone has a photo of a TR with a stripe, that would be a great addition to the color scheme too!

Best wishes from Sacramento, California, home of the governator, Arnold.

Pat Galvin

Hi Pat,

I have the codes somewhere, I will see if I can find them and PM you with them.

Rgds Ian

.........when you've stood your ground against gunships you can tell me about it, and we'll exchange t-shirts. :lol: ......TRs aren't that significant . . . . B) Cheers, Alec

No Alec, when you’ve stood your ground against a recruit on the range then you can tell me about it - now that does take balls!

As for TRs, maybe some are insignificant..............

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

"when you’ve stood your ground against a recruit on the range" . . . . .

I have, I agree, I'll take the gunship anyday :lol: At least you have a clue where the gunners are aiming !! ;)

Meanwhile, the way things are going, I reckon we'll all do well to forget Postman Pat colour schemes and revert to camouflage . . . . :(

Cheers,

Alec

Hello All

Only slightly off topic. Anyone have paint codes for Dark BRG? I am shopping for a new color (my wife won't approve of the factory light yellow) for my TR3A. In my view, nothing beats BRG with a honey tan interior. If anyone has a photo of a TR with a stripe, that would be a great addition to the color scheme too!

Best wishes from Sacramento, California, home of the governator, Arnold.

Pat Galvin

Hi Pat,

Couldn't PM because I couldn't work out how to insert a scanned image into a PM. I';ve uploaded it with this post.

If you need a better resolution copy send me a pm with your e mail address.

Rgds Ian

Well, 33 posts on whether TR3' s can be red, allthough some went off on a tangent, seems it is a hot topic . Have decided to continue to paint mine red, more of a cherry colour really, the problem of fade has not occured on my MGB which is in its 15th year due to keeping a cotton cover on it in the garage.[ Please dont say thats the best place for it, its been good to me over the years] . Thanks for everyones input.

Hi Norman,

just to cheer you up - at the drive it day gathering at the Amberley Museum yesterday, the MD of the Museum selected a TR3A as his car of the day

- guess what

Signal red

A real beauty

Roger

• 3 months later...

When I repainted my car I went for a two tone colour of red/white, similar to the TR pictured in Bill Piggotts book "Super Profile".

Frankly I got sick of going to rallies and seeing one line up of Red TR's, another of white ones, green etc, etc. "Seen one seen 'em all" sort of thing.

My paint scheme is not original and not to everyone's taste but lots of people seem to want to take photo's of my car and it's not a concourse winner by any stretch of the imagination just a bit different from the same old, same old you see at every rally.

Mychael

The worst colour scheme I have seen is the one sent to me of a TR3 Beta.

It was white with red sides and wings, and wouid you believe it Red headlamp pods.

Having had a two tone red and black Austin Healey 100/6,it looked real good, but a two tone TR! -NO I don't think so!

I agree with the idea of trial spraying of the spare wheel door. Then if you dont like it, there isn't much to do to change it.

Dave

Russa, I don't agree with you showing this picture unannounced! Man, that is soooo nice! At first, I would interfere with the 'red yes or no' debate, as I'm not really a fan of red TRs. But the car on your picture is stunning!

I drive a red Saab, so it's not the colour that's bugging me. I simply think that there are too many red TRs. (Okay, I'll get my coat and leave). It's not standing out in a crowd. Mind you, a red TR is beautiful, but not when you see 4 in 1 row.

Mine is powder blue. A colour I like and you don't see it too often overhere in Holland (well in the TR3 edition that is, TR4s in p/b are more common). But then again, I really wanted to be a car with my signature, so I opted for a brown interior and hood. If impossible, I would have chosen powder blue with red, the colour red that's on the Triumph globe logo. A lot of TRs came in colours the original customers chose.

It's your car, you pay the painting, you have to live with the colour. That said, you eighter go for original or you choose your own interpretation.

Menno

Alan; No significance at all, after I received the plate I started looking up what each letter and or number meant and found out as you know J would be 70 - 71. Now if you have a period correct 58 plate we need to talk. The whole plate reads PVG547J

Thanks

Russ

Having welded, leaded, filled, stoppered ,etch primed, primed ,guide coated, flatted,flatted again I now am ready to colour coat my bodytub. I have bought 4 litres of red paint but ,the thing is ,reading the forum over the few months I have been a member( ps thanks to all whose replies have helped me) I am sure I have detected an undercurrent of bias against red TR3,s , Is this so ? Am I being hypersensitive? Are there too many of them? Whats the forums views?

Dont mind chucking away (sorry disposing responsibly) the red if I am about to commit a cardinal(no pun intended) sin.

Thanks. [Dont know the exact name of the red I chose it from a colour chip at the paint shop.]

Red is a great colour. Just because once a year when a lot of TRs get together there are a lot of red and green ones does not make it bad. There are a lot of good colour decisions being made by a lot of owners!

Another question is : how many (now) red Triumph were originally red ?

For those who knows the famous French "Berlinette", Alpine Renault A110, they are nearly all metallic blue.

But when you see a pics of the car park at the Alpine factory, when these cars were under production, they were blue, yellow, white, red, etc.....

Just a though ;)

Chris.

Edited by Chris59