5-Speed transmission conversion for TR4A

Just an FYI for anyone considering a 5-speed or a 4-speed with overdrive for their TR. I just switched out my non-overdrive original 4-speed (1966 TR4A) for a 5-speed Celica transmission and the car has been transformed! The transmission is superb - short throws, cockpit looks absolutely stock, and rpm's at 60-65 mph dropped from approximately 3000-3200 rpm to 2200-2500rpm. Lightened flywheel, smoother clutch and now with a transmission known for going well over 200,000 miles. Here's the website for the fellow who developed the kit:

http://www.hvdaconversions.com

Edited by Richard

Richard, as I remember a very smooth gearbox and the ratio's are nicely spaced, as you point out being a Toyota must also be very reliable! The output from the original engine (Toyota Celica - 155-180BHP?) would now mean that the box in your 4A is going to be very understressed.

A more modern day Ford 2000E gearbox (my all time favourite!) - good work ;)

I guess how much does spring to mind though :blink:

Ta

I've looked into this too, when I was rebuiliding my TR3A and I wanted to convert my original g/box to a g/box with overdrive. I don't remember the price, but it's worth thinking about! Remember, the conversion comes with new style clutch hydraulics, modern style clutch and g/box! The things that stopped me from buying were the shipment costs and the additional customs costs overhere in the Netherlands!

Menno

Re gearbox conversions: This is another company that produces gearbox conversion kits. I am unfamiliar with them but the fellow that did my conversion with the California sourced conversion, is familiar with the New Zealand firm, has been to their factory, and is very impressed with their product. Could it be less expensive for Great Britain and European residents to buy from the NZ company (import taxes, duty etc.) rather from the U.S.?

Here's the link:

http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/

Hi all,

Moss and Alan Revington sell it too.

2000+ quids.

Said to be a very nice mod on various sites. But then, nothing beats the fast shift of an OD on mountain roads.

My choice: close ratio and a J OD with 0.782 ratio (if I remember right). that's the one I had on the Volvo.

Badfrog.